VOGONS

First post, by kepstin

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi, so I've been working for a while on putting together a system based mostly around early-2000s era components, although with some modern quality of life features where it makes sense. Here's the result:
DSC_0006_250.jpg

Oh, wait, sorry. Wrong picture – that's my Ryzen 3700x workstation. Just a moment…

Ah, here we go (click to embiggen):
DSC_0011_500.jpgDSC_0010_500.jpg

So, the goal of this project was to figure out what a gaming system from early 2000s would have looked like if it was built with a gaming PC aesthetic from 20 years later. LED lighting, windows, mesh case, the whole bit. And of course, it's (almost completely) functional! Everything except the front USB ports on the case works (and I might add that later with a PCI USB card).

As for specifications and parts choice, with some build notes:

• Case: Fractal Focus G in "Mystic Red". Chosen for being one of the few mesh-front gamer cases that still had multiple 5¼" drive bays. Has 3 white LED fans installed (stock 2 plus a third matching) along with a white LED strip mounted along the top, just above the window edge.
  • Motherboard: MSI MS-5169 rev 4.0 ATX Super Socket 7. Using BIOS 3.5 for K6+ compatibility. I suspect this board needs to be re-capped, but it's been reasonably stable with power management features disabled.
  • CPU: AMD K6-III+ 400ACR model. I'm currently running it at 500MHz (100×5) using the board's 2.2v setting.
  • Memory: 1GB (2×512MB) eBay reseller re-marked PC133 SDRAM. I got lucky here finding some double-sided sticks that the motherboard properly recognized. (Thanks also to the late Rudolph R. Loew for PATCHMEM to make Windows 98SE stable with this ram amount.). The motherboard only caches up to 256MB, but the CPU's integrated cache handles the full memory size.
  • Graphics: 3Dfx Voodoo 3 2000 AGP. I kept this card when I got rid of the original PC it was used with, and was glad to have a chance to use it in a new build!
  • Sound: Soundblaster Audigy 2 ZS. This card conveniently has an HD-Audio compatible front panel connection usable via a simple pin adapter. It works great with the modern case. (All the forum posts you can find about people having problems with the front panel connector are because they were using an AC'97 style case instead of HDA)
  • Floppy: A Matsushita 3½" drive in black, in a 5¼" bay adapter.

The remaining parts aren't really period-correct (but i mean what on this system is?), but are rather quality of life updates.

• Network: Realtek 8169 Gigabit (there's no point in gigabit on this box, but I had the card handy. It's windows 98 compatible - uses same driver set as the 8139C)
  • Storage controller: Silicon Image 3114 SATA controller. Storage was a pain on this box. I originally used an IDE drive, but wanted to switch to SATA to use newer more readily available drives. The VIA VT6212 controller (SATA+IDE) i originally tried almost worked, but had some BIOS compatibility issues. The Sil3114 was my next choice, and I ended up trying several BIOS revisions on the card before finding one that slotted into the boot order correctly. (5.0.73 RAID was my final choice with the 1.0.20.0 driver version)
  • Optical drive: A Sony DVD-RW drive. Picked mostly for aesthetic reasons, it has a nice front panel. The ALI onboard IDE has an ATAPI DMA bug, so it's running PIO speeds only.
  • Primary storage: Not visible (it's mounted behind the motherboard tray) – a OCZ Agility 2 SSD, 120GB. This is a 2010-ish SSD, notable for its use of the SandForce controller that performs data compression to reduce wear on non-trim-supporting operating systems. It seemed like the a good size and tech choice for this build. No reliability issues… yet.
  • Secondary storage: A WD Green 1TB HD. At the moment I have a ~200gb partition on this drive exposed to Windows 98, but it's plenty to hold CD images so I'm not swapping disks for games. Also has a copy of the Windows 98 CD files so I can quickly reinstall if needed (and don't get prompted to insert CD all the time for drivers).

I currently have this system set up to dual-boot Windows 98SE and Gentoo Linux (lol). I actually use this system to test and maintain some of the legacy Linux drivers, it's running an up-to-date 5.6 series kernel. I'm also testing the Rust programming language and ffmpeg media library support for i586 architecture using this machine.

I have a few other parts I occasionally swap in – I have a variety of AGP graphics cards including ATI Rage XL, Radeon 7000 & 9200SE and Nvidia TNT2, Geforce 2 MX 400 & 4 MX 420 & FX 5200 that I'll sometimes use to try specific games or drivers with.

Anyways, I'm curious what people think about the idea of the modern aesthetic with period parts build; it's sort of the opposite of the "sleeper" PC. I personally find the lighting and window great for showing off the component choice, and the system works great. There's certainly no shortage of cooling airflow to hopefully prolong the life of the old components.

as for the IBM Aptiva in the first picture? It is a sleeper PC build, and really has an R7 3700x. Getting the floppy drive functional was tricky 😀 But I have the original board & processor from it, and plan to use those for a late-dos & win95 build in the future with a Voodoo 2 and an AWE64 Gold

Reply 1 of 10, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I get sleeper builds
I get retro builds in modern cases
Don't think I've met someone who has his new PC in a n old case and old pc in a new case 🤣!

I like reverse sleepers, partly due to mix of old and new and partly due to better airflow in more modern cases, not to mention easier to obtain.
Not quite as much as a show piece but I've a dual slot 1 and dual PPro both living in Antec Three thousand cases.
Still really want to build a all green PCB PC with a windowed case, Just not sure which era I'll do, Few others have already beaten me to that already.
So yeh this gets my approval

Reply 3 of 10, by kepstin

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
PARKE wrote on 2020-04-08, 14:44:

Surprizing to me is that 512Mb ram sticks are fully functional on that board ?

I’m honestly as surprised as you are. When I was trying to decide what board to look for, I was reading the AnandTech Chipset Guide which mentioned “The Aladdin V, in theory can accept up to 1GB of RAM”.

That obviously wasn’t practical at the time of the board’s release given that it only had 3 ram slots… but 512MB sticks are readily available now, so I picked some up off eBay (from this listing but no guarantees of any particular chips/layout – i got lucky) to try it out. And what do you know, with Fast Boot off it’ll sit there counting a million kilobytes of memory for a few minutes during post (I leave Fast Boot on for obvious reasons), and all the memory works in both Linux and Windows 98SE + PATCHMEM.

Reply 5 of 10, by bofh.fromhell

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
kepstin wrote on 2020-04-07, 19:05:
  • Case: Fractal Focus G in "Mystic Red". Chosen for being one of the few mesh-front gamer cases that still had multiple 5¼" drive bays. Has 3 white LED fans installed (stock 2 plus a third matching) along with a white LED strip mounted along the top, just above the window edge.

Not sure if you have notised.
But the lower HDD cage can be moved forward and that makes it a lot easier to use IDE drives there.
Got one of each color of the Focus G's and my favorite is the "White" one with its matte finish, followed by the "Petrol Blue" that just screams "Build and Intel system in me!".
Very nice (and cheap!) cases for our ATX retro builds =)

Reply 6 of 10, by kepstin

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
bofh.fromhell wrote on 2020-04-09, 13:25:

But the lower HDD cage can be moved forward and that makes it a lot easier to use IDE drives there.
Got one of each color of the Focus G's and my favorite is the "White" one with its matte finish, followed by the "Petrol Blue" that just screams "Build and Intel system in me!".

Ah, I hadn't noticed that about the drive cage! very cool. Routing the IDE cables in a way that looks decent remains a challenge tho.

Part of the reason I picked the red case was that I really liked the look of the red/black SHARP X1:
712ec35ac7b01c69.jpg

I obviously had to build an ATI/AMD system in the Red version of the case ☺ but the ATI option didn't work quite as nicely as I'd hoped. I have a couple Radeon cards with nice red PCBs, both a 9200SE and a 9700, but for the games I wanted to run on this system, the 3Dfx card ended up being more stable and compatible. I still swap the 9200SE in now and then since it works nicely in Linux and has a DVI port tho.

DSC_0012_500.jpg
“Red”eon Graphics

Reply 8 of 10, by PARKE

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
kepstin wrote on 2020-04-09, 15:46:

Routing the IDE cables in a way that looks decent remains a challenge tho.

I had a similar problem with an open case. Got a couple of cheap round cables and cut off the long motherboard side. The slave plug then goes into the motherboard.

plexi2ab2.jpg
Filename
plexi2ab2.jpg
File size
23.43 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

Reply 9 of 10, by kepstin

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
chrismeyer6 wrote on 2020-04-10, 02:35:

That's a really great setup!! With a gig of RAM that system would run 2000 really well.

I wish! 2000 is my favourite version of Windows. Unfortunately, due either to BIOS bugs or power management issues caused possibly by bad caps or some other hardware fault, 2000 installs - but once installed, it won't boot on the system at all (hangs partway through boot). I can't use the newer BIOS versions (3.6/3.7) that officially support Windows 2000 because they drop K6+ support. The beta 3.83 bios doesn't work with my K6-III+ either.

Linux actually has the same hanging during boot issue, but I have worked around it by adding a kernel parameter that disables idle power saving features (idle=poll).