VOGONS

First post, by AnnoyingPentium

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi all,

Until today, I never considered posting this little gem up.

It is a 1998 Fujitsu Ergopro E366, a simple restoration and upgrade that led to a thousand tiny and annoying jobs!

It arrived here with a matter of things wrong with it, nothing was connected, there were no screws and it really needed cleaned, I got it last year from a school where it had been used to demonstrate how to build a PC, and had had a rather tough life. It reached the end of its useful life by about 2006 I reckon, as that's what the last electrical safety test sticker indicated.

It is specced with the following:

Intel Celeron 300A/300MHz CPU
128MB PC66 RAM (Upgraded from the original 32MB)
20GB Samsung Spinpoint Hard Drive (Upgraded from the 2GB thing which had been opened and disassembled)
ATI Rage 3D Integrated Graphics (4MB Chip)
Yamaha DS-XG Sound Chip (Can't remember what one specifically)
Some Intel Ethernet Card that works
An LG DVD-ROM drive (Upgraded from the Original Mitsumi CD-ROM that was fitted)
The Original Mitsumi floppy drive (Doesn't work, is just there to keep the space filled)
A copy of 98SE complete with games and some additional utilities.

Overall, its not a bad little PC and does everything I need it to (e.g. some games, music playback and word processing).

Also, as you can see from one of the pictures, it didn't like copying music from my USB drive! 😊

Attachments

Ryan B. Sent from my nuclear reactor.

Too many computers. But my ICL DRS M75 is rather cool.

Reply 1 of 5, by flupke11

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Nice little system, and even if it's low-end, I suppose that that system did what it was supposed to do. The Fujitsu-Siemens systems (99- onwards) were relatively expensive and under powered compared to whatever we built ourselves back then, but they were fairly dependable as office equipment.

My hands would itch to try and upgrade the cpu to at least a Celeron 533 😀.

Reply 2 of 5, by H3nrik V!

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
AnnoyingPentium wrote on 2020-04-14, 10:51:

Also, as you can see from one of the pictures, it didn't like copying music from my USB drive! 😊

To my experience - having more than one copy dialog open at a time really has bad impact on copy times ..

Please use the "quote" option if asking questions to what I write - it will really up the chances of me noticing 😀

Reply 3 of 5, by AnnoyingPentium

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
flupke11 wrote on 2020-04-14, 13:05:

Nice little system, and even if it's low-end, I suppose that that system did what it was supposed to do. The Fujitsu-Siemens systems (99- onwards) were relatively expensive and under powered compared to whatever we built ourselves back then, but they were fairly dependable as office equipment.

My hands would itch to try and upgrade the cpu to at least a Celeron 533 😀.

It's fairly underpowered, especially on the graphics side of things for my liking (looking at a PCI Rage card instead). It hasn't got a bad quality board, it's quite a nice Gigabyte one.

Referring to the Celeron, I think the highest it supports is a Celeron 366 or Pentium II 333. I may look at the site again and see if there is a BIOS update available.

Reply 4 of 5, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Fujitsu-Siemens was used quite extensively here in The Netherlands and were used in offices as well as home use.
Their systems seems rather well build using mostly quality parts, though typically not using any high-end stuff when it comes to performance.
Their Royalty-OEM Windows auto-activated whenever used on a FS board and contained rather little proprietary bullshit stuff. Could even use nLite on those XP disks, though I can't remember if the auto-activation would still work after that.

Their boards were solid, the PSUs were usually FSP build with adequate wattages on the rails and decent build quality of the systems themselves (the FS I ended up inheriting from my mother didn't even have a case fan, so that Barton 3200+ ran quite hot).

Overall FS is perhaps my favorite OEM 😀

When it comes to your particular system, I would have increased the total amount of memory to 128MB as well. You could even lower the timings in the BIOS to CAS2 instead of CAS3 if you happen to have used PC-100 SDRAM.

Celeron 300A is probably not going to be a speeddemon anyway though. You could kinda see it as a Pentium MMX times 1½ or so when it comes to performance. My Celeron 400 used a PCI TNT2 M64 16MB and it was somewhat comparable to my K6-2 rig or my Deschutes 350MHz.

Overall, nice little system you have there 😀

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 5 of 5, by AnnoyingPentium

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Tetrium wrote on 2020-05-29, 14:14:
Fujitsu-Siemens was used quite extensively here in The Netherlands and were used in offices as well as home use. Their systems s […]
Show full quote

Fujitsu-Siemens was used quite extensively here in The Netherlands and were used in offices as well as home use.
Their systems seems rather well build using mostly quality parts, though typically not using any high-end stuff when it comes to performance.
Their Royalty-OEM Windows auto-activated whenever used on a FS board and contained rather little proprietary bullshit stuff. Could even use nLite on those XP disks, though I can't remember if the auto-activation would still work after that.

Their boards were solid, the PSUs were usually FSP build with adequate wattages on the rails and decent build quality of the systems themselves (the FS I ended up inheriting from my mother didn't even have a case fan, so that Barton 3200+ ran quite hot).

Overall FS is perhaps my favorite OEM 😀

When it comes to your particular system, I would have increased the total amount of memory to 128MB as well. You could even lower the timings in the BIOS to CAS2 instead of CAS3 if you happen to have used PC-100 SDRAM.

Celeron 300A is probably not going to be a speeddemon anyway though. You could kinda see it as a Pentium MMX times 1½ or so when it comes to performance. My Celeron 400 used a PCI TNT2 M64 16MB and it was somewhat comparable to my K6-2 rig or my Deschutes 350MHz.

Overall, nice little system you have there 😀

Thanks!

Since posting, I upgraded the memory to 256MB and upgraded to Windows 2000 (I'm not using it for DOS, just for playing things like my wordsearch/crossword CD-ROM and maybe messing about with some "multimedia" stuff. The original PSU was AcBel or Delta, it just refused to work at all.

It's a well built PC, pretty tough, yet compact enough that I can carry it about. It has served me very well.