VOGONS

First post, by austinham

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'm kinda jumping in here so if post this in the wrong spot let me know. Thanks.

It all started a few years back when I put a 980ti in my gaming system, long story short I hatted that card. as it did not like some of the early DX3d games I play.

Oh well.
So now its time to build the water-cooled Athlon system! Sadly my old board from back in the day, yeah I still have it. The ABIT KG7 l sound card for dos games. I hope a SBlive will work.
I still have the old hard drives I had back in the day too. They will make for good backup drives in the system. SATA SSD via a PCI SATA card for the OS you say? Nope.avi. I'll be using old parts only. Two 2nd or 3rd gen raptor drives in raid will do. SSD's are not needed on older gaming systems, the drive overhead is not there and the size of games is much smaller than today with some of the game sata often being pulled from both the HDD and CD drive. OH how things have changed.

Anyway, I better stop rambling.

Parts list. Updated 5-19-20
Motherboard: Abit NF7-SG2
CPU: Athlon XP 3200+
RAM:512mb DDR
GPU: Asus V9999GT/TD/256M, +voodoo2 SLI.
Sound: SB0160
HDD: 2 WD raptors in raid.
Case: OLD AT case modded to fit ATX system
PSU: PC power and cooling 510w
ODD: First-gen DVD-RAM drive.
Water Cooling: Old school koolance blocks for the CPU, GPU, and chip-set. 1 or 2 80mm rads.

Pumps are TBD, likely a D4 (not D5) if I can find 2. No Res, we did not use them back in the day.
The build at its stands 4-22-20.
I have most of the water cooling parts, I just need a few fittings, tubing, coolant, and pumps.
I have the board, CPU, ram, GPU, the 40gb IDE hdds.
I still need to get the raptor drives, the Voodoo's, sound card. PSU, case, and nic. I'll need to get a better card then the fx5200. wile the ultra version is not bad at all for dx7 and older games it's lacking for DX8 and sucks for DX9 games. A higher-end FX card is likely what I'll be using, the ATI 9xxx cards are not all to good for older games due to the lack of table fog and 8-bit paletted textures support. On top of that, the FX cards are a little faster with DX8 and older games. Faster DX9 support is not something I need for this system.
I'm eyeing a case for the build that comes with a PSU. The PSU will likely need a recap.

Last edited by austinham on 2020-05-19, 15:55. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 1 of 51, by austinham

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The build as it stands 4-23-20.

Last night I garbed a lot of old school themes/skins and other content from themeworld and the Internet Archive unlike the newer versions of Windows (Vista and newer) 9x and 2k/XP had a lot more flexibility in regards to skinning and modding the OS, even the windows Boot Screen can be changed without any special tools.
I also when though my archive of old game IOS files, it's over 40GB so I will need to either get a bigger storage HDD, Setup a file server or burn off copies of the games. I don't want to pull all my OG copies form storage nor do I want to damage them, so I'm using backups
I also bought 2 Western Digital 74GB Raptor drive, model number WD740ADFD, those are the better 3rd gen model, and will be the newest part in the system.

Last edited by austinham on 2020-04-27, 04:06. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 2 of 51, by austinham

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The build as it stands 4-24-20.
I got sniped on the case I was looking at. I was about to up my bid too and would have one if I was quicker. I PMd the seller on ebay asking if he would take a last minute bid, but no go 🙁. However, he said he has a second case and in perfect shape that he claims he will be selling at some point !
But I got 5 old school ever cool 80mm rads.
Other than that I don't have anything to add today.

Last edited by austinham on 2020-04-27, 04:05. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 3 of 51, by austinham

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The build as it stands 4-24-20.
I bought a PSU for the build. A old first gen 480w antec truepower with a PPFC, ICK. PPFC 🤣. Don't worry it will be ok. Its a good PSU for the age. just not the most efficient. I need a PSU with a higher 5v output and will likely put the -5v to use if I ever get a motherboard with a ISA slot.

I also received the fx5200 today. Its a standered 5200 but with 128bit Samsung ram so more or less a down clocked 5200ultra or fx5500 with looser ram timings. I see no reason why I could not OC it to the 5200ultra clocks. With a mild volt mod I'm sure it will hit fx5500 speeds. Not sure about the ram timings.
Photos of the card after I cleaned it up are below.

Attachments

Last edited by austinham on 2020-04-27, 04:05. Edited 3 times in total.

Reply 5 of 51, by austinham

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
kolderman wrote on 2020-04-26, 00:19:

> FX5200ultra

Can u post a pic of this?

It's not a true Ulta (see photo above) but the card has the same ram the Ultras often had and intend to flash it to a ultra. If not a 5500.
Some day I'll get a better card. But for now it's the 5200.

Also here's the card with the block installed.

Attachments

Reply 6 of 51, by austinham

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The build as it stands 4-26-20.

I got a case. Noting fancy, but I'll have to mod the crap out of it to make it work as its and AT case. Lucky me I have the tools and sheet metal to mod it.
It also has a socket 5 system in it witch I'll have to re-home or scrap, I'll deal with that at a latter date.

Attachments

Reply 9 of 51, by austinham

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
gdjacobs wrote on 2020-04-27, 04:31:

Two fake floppies? Twice the goodness?

And oddly enough the real drive uses a 5.25 drive calbe.
But If I have the room I'll put two floppy drives in the system.

Reply 10 of 51, by austinham

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The build as it stands 4-28-20

I received the evercool radiators today. Not to bad for old mid range rads. I removed the junk stock fans and put some better old led fans from back in the day on them. They’re so old the led’s are hot glued onto the fan. 
I also cut some tubing for the NB and gpu block. 

Reply 11 of 51, by austinham

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

photos of the rads.

Attachments

• 3.jpg
    Filename
    3.jpg
    File size
    1.33 MiB
    Views
    File license
    CC-BY-4.0
  • 2.jpg
    Filename
    2.jpg
    File size
    1.46 MiB
    Views
    File license
    CC-BY-4.0
  • 1.jpg
    Filename
    1.jpg
    File size
    1.25 MiB
    Views
    File license
    CC-BY-4.0

Reply 12 of 51, by matze79

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hm i would not destroy the AT Tower for that, get a nice Period Correct Chieftec and you have enough Space to fit everything!

https://dosreloaded.de - The German Retro DOS PC Community
https://www.retroianer.de - under constructing since ever

Co2 - for a endless Summer

Reply 13 of 51, by Tali

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I second @matze79's opinion. If you must go semi-retro, do so in a modern case. With all that copper and all those pipes, you could make a killer steampunk machine, actually. And you don't need to wreck a classic tower for that.

Reply 14 of 51, by austinham

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The case will be properly converted to ATX and not destroy or wrecked. I find those commits somewhat insulting considering my sheet metal work skill level. Once done most no one would be able to tell it was ever an AT case.

Reply 15 of 51, by austinham

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The build as it stands 4-30-20.

I got the PSU last night, sadly it was dead. Not only that but I came from a smokers home and was full of tar.
I did take a peek inside and found that the DC output caps were vented quite badly. Not on;y that but they were well know fake caps from back in the day. I replaced them but it was not enough to fix it. I only paid $10 for it so no biggy. It will be kept for parts.
I bought a NOS PcPower&cooling Turbo cool PSU. A little new for the system, but it still has a good 5v rail and still has 5v on the off chance I find a board with ISA.

Last edited by austinham on 2020-04-30, 14:10. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 16 of 51, by flupke11

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
austinham wrote on 2020-04-29, 23:15:

The case will be properly converted to ATX and not destroy or wrecked. I find those commits somewhat insulting considering my sheet metal work skill level. Once done most no one would be able to tell it was ever an AT case.

I don't think any insult was meant here. It's just that such huge AT towers nowadays are hard to come by. Keep the socket 5, you'll love it one day.

But it's your case, so your prerogative 😊

Reply 17 of 51, by austinham

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
flupke11 wrote on 2020-04-30, 13:03:
austinham wrote on 2020-04-29, 23:15:

I don't think any insult was meant here. It's just that such huge AT towers nowadays are hard to come by. Keep the socket 5, you'll love it one day.

But it's your case, so your prerogative 😊

I realized that no one was meaning to insult me. Its just that the wording left me someone offended.
Not that big AT cases are hard to find. They are everywhere on ebay, new even. Bigger ATX cases can fit most AT boards too.
As for the socket 5 system, no way I'm keeping all of it. There really is no point in it today with socket 7 supporting the same CPU's. But I will be keeping a few parts from it. Like the Sound Blaster 16 on the off chance I find a really good SK370 or SK462 board with an ISA slot and support for latter CPU's like the Piii-s or batons.

Reply 18 of 51, by matze79

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hey i really don't want to piss you off 😀

https://dosreloaded.de - The German Retro DOS PC Community
https://www.retroianer.de - under constructing since ever

Co2 - for a endless Summer

Reply 19 of 51, by cde

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
austinham wrote on 2020-04-22, 17:57:

It all started a few years back when I put a 980ti in my gaming system, long story short I hated that card as it did not like some of the early DX3d games I play.

Very cool build! Out of curiosity, which games were giving you trouble with the 980 Ti?