VOGONS

Working on a water cooled Athlon system.

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 64, by austinham

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

LET THE MODDING BEGIN!

OK, so the AT cases motherboard tray will not safely old a ATX board. So I will have to replace that, The stock fittings on the radiators are some sort of plaited ferrous metal as they are magnetic. So OFF with their heads... er fittings...

I got one rad done and ready for leak testing, 4 more to go !

Reply 22 of 64, by austinham

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
chrismeyer6 wrote on 2020-05-06, 17:03:

Nice job can't wait to see the finished system!

Thanks.
I can't wait ether. I hope the mother board is good, I recaped it about a year ago with what I had on hand and wile I used good caps the UF ratings were higher on a few caps ans I have not clue what the right ratings are now. At lest it posts !

Reply 23 of 64, by austinham

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The build as it stands 5-7-20.
I picked up and abit nf7-sg2 to use in place of the kg7. The KG7 has a much slower FSB agp 4x and was recapped with higher rated caps. I thought it would be better to just get a newer/better motherboard for the system.

P.S. if anyone wants the kg7-raid shoot me a PM. I don't need it anymore and Id hate to see is hit the garbage pile.

Reply 24 of 64, by austinham

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The build as it stands 5-8-20.
Not much to say today. I got fittings soldered on a 3rd radiator, I'll get the 5.25 to 3.5" bay hdd adapters today along whit some floppy disks for setting up the HDD controllers drivers in the windows 98 installer. I hope to get the last 2 radiator fittings soldered on over the weekend.

Part2:
I have all the fittings soldered on the radiators. Two radiator have 3/8" fittings for the CPU loop and 3 radiators have 1/4" fittings for the chipset/GPU loop.
Once the radiators cool off and I get them all cleaned up and leak tested I'll post photos of them.

Reply 25 of 64, by austinham

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The build as it stands 5-11-20
Not much to add. I got a pci sata card in the mail that I'll use to add a 3rd sata hdd to the system. I removed the motherboard tray from the case to replace it with a new one. I should also get the ATX motherboard tray and I/O panel in the mail today as well. I order on from Mountain Mods as making a tray and I/O panel is not all to fun.
I still have yet to clean up and leak test the radiators. The fittings are however all soldered on.

Reply 26 of 64, by austinham

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The build as it stands 5-12-20
I got the NF7 board today. Looks to be in good shape. The motherboard tray and I/O panel I got from Mountain Mods will be a perfect for converting the case from AT to ATX. I hope to get the rear AT I/O panel off case tonight. As of now the case's motherboard tray and cross support beam has been removed.

Reply 27 of 64, by austinham

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The build as it stands 5-13-20
I have the case halfway covered to ATX. I need to make a few brackets to hold the motherboard tray down.
I still need to knock out the holes for the radiators too. Once I get that all done I'll post photos of the case.

Reply 30 of 64, by austinham

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
melbar wrote on 2020-05-13, 18:44:

Interesting project !!!

Which Xp do you want to use? T-bred? Barton? Desktop or mobile version?

I was going to use a Thorton 2400+ but since I got the nf7 I'll try and find a 3200+ Barton. Since I have a NF7-SG2 I'll be using a desktop version, the SG2 version of the NF7 is not mobile friendly.

chrismeyer6 wrote on 2020-05-13, 20:16:

Looking good. Definitely looking forward to seeing the finished system!!

Thanks.

Reply 31 of 64, by Jackhead

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I work at the moment also on a watercooling mod, but an AIO. I used a Corsair H100i Platinum on a Asus A8V deluxe sockel 939. Works perfect, i used the intel clamps, and removed the bracket. It needs also some modification on the backplate screws, but with a dremel np 😀 Goal is a Athlon FX-57 with a HD3850 system for WinXP. CPU temps with the cooler are around 35° idle, and on load up to 50° (Silent).

IMG_0278[1].JPG
Filename
IMG_0278[1].JPG
File size
1.73 MiB
Views
File license
Public domain

Dos 6.22: Asus VL/I-486SV2GX4 Rev 2.0 1Mb L2 - AMD A5x86 X5 ADZ 133MHz @160MHz - 64MB RAM - CT2230 - GUS ACE - MPU-401 AT - ET4000W32P
Win98SE: Asus P5K-WS - E8600 @ 4,5GHz - Strange God Voodoo 5 6000 PCI @ 66MHz PCI-X - 2GB DDR2 1066 - Audigy 2 ZS

Reply 33 of 64, by Jackhead

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

im sorry dont want to crush your thread, its just i read athlon water cooling. Research on that topic brings not really much up. Nice project btw!

Dos 6.22: Asus VL/I-486SV2GX4 Rev 2.0 1Mb L2 - AMD A5x86 X5 ADZ 133MHz @160MHz - 64MB RAM - CT2230 - GUS ACE - MPU-401 AT - ET4000W32P
Win98SE: Asus P5K-WS - E8600 @ 4,5GHz - Strange God Voodoo 5 6000 PCI @ 66MHz PCI-X - 2GB DDR2 1066 - Audigy 2 ZS

Reply 34 of 64, by austinham

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Jackhead wrote on 2020-05-14, 13:00:

im sorry dont want to crush your thread, its just i read athlon water cooling. Research on that topic brings not really much up. Nice project btw!

nah your OK. But it would be cool if you made a thread about your build. Water cooled 939 systems wile were once a normal thing and are now a rare find.
Here are a few links I have on water cooling old Athlon systems you may find useful.
https://www.webx.dk/oz2cpu/pcmod/water.htm
http://www.nyx.net/~smanley/watercool/index.html
http://www.madshrimps.be/articles/article/344 … p#axzz6MQA1YyoY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zinYRdRXst4

Reply 35 of 64, by Tali

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'm sorry if I did offend you by using the word "wreck". But what I meant with it was any destructive (as in "irreversible", no matter how well made) modification on something so old and rare is a step not taken lightly.

Reply 36 of 64, by austinham

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The build as it stands 5-15-20.
Nothing really to add today, been taking a brake from the system to work on my car and some other stuff.
But here is a list of games I have for the system.

amok
Age of empires 1
Apocalyptica
blood
Chex Quest
CS1.6
doom 1 and 2
Duke Nukem 3D
Evlva
gnome
Great Qin Warriors
half life 1
lemmings
Mech warrior 2, 3 and 4
Prisoner of War
Quake 1, 2 and 3
Resident Evil 1, 2 , 3 and 4
Road rash 3d
Shatered steel
silent hill 2 and 3 (still trying to find the first for good deal)
Starship Troopers
Dark Forces 1, 2 and Jedi Academy and outcast
KOTOR 1 and 2
Star Wars Episode I Racer
Rogue Squadron 3D
TIE Fighter
xwing
Tie V xwing
Battlefront 1
System Shock
Populous the beginning
The Elder Scrolls Arena and Elder Scrolls 2
Simpsons Hit and Run
Turok 1, 2, 3 and 4
Unreal Tournament
postal 1 and 2
Lords of Magic
Battlecruiser 3000AD

Some other apps I'll have on the system.
CPU-z
HWMonitor
KernelEx-4.5.2
pstrip (full version)
UnrealEditor
CCleaner-2.36.1233
DTLite
SpeedFan

Last edited by austinham on 2020-05-19, 15:55. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 37 of 64, by austinham

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The build as it stands 5-17-20
I bought a new part for the build, M-systems 4000 2gb IDE ssd's.
I bought 3. 2 will be used in raid 1 and one will be as a spare. I wanted the 3000 model but couldn't find them.
Other then that nothing else to add.

EDIT:
I cancelled the order for the SSDs after finding out how slow they were.

Last edited by austinham on 2020-05-18, 17:34. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 38 of 64, by austinham

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The build as it stands 5-18-20
Not much to add, I got a sound blaster audigy for the system.
As of today I still need to get the pumps, tubing, a few fittings, coolant, 44pin to 40pin IDE adapters and 2.5" to 5.25" bay adapters. I also still need to mod the case to fit the rads.

Since the case has a CPU speed turbo display and being 3 digit its of little use for the build. So I'm thinking of using it for a post card display or converting it to a 4 digit display. I'll likely use the turbo button for a power button and the AT power switch to power on auxiliary fans.

Reply 39 of 64, by austinham

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The build as it stands 5-19-20
Still not much to add today. I had ordered two audigy's for the system, a audigy 1 SB0090 with gold ports and audigy2 with the somewhat hard to find midi game port cable. Sadly the seller of the ladder backed out. However I found a little gem know as the SB0160 witch had the midi game port on the card.
I'll likely solder the gold ports from the SB0090 I orders on to the SB0160 and call it a day.
I'll be pump, fitting and tubing shopping today, so stay tuned for more info.