VOGONS

Reply 40 of 55, by Tali

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm sorry if I did offend you by using the word "wreck". But what I meant with it was any destructive (as in "irreversible", no matter how well made) modification on something so old and rare is a step not taken lightly.

Reply 41 of 55, by austinham

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The build as it stands 5-15-20.
Nothing really to add today, been taking a brake from the system to work on my car and some other stuff.
But here is a list of games I have for the system.

amok
Age of empires 1
Apocalyptica
blood
Chex Quest
CS1.6
doom 1 and 2
Duke Nukem 3D
Evlva
gnome
Great Qin Warriors
half life 1
lemmings
Mech warrior 2, 3 and 4
Prisoner of War
Quake 1, 2 and 3
Resident Evil 1, 2 , 3 and 4
Road rash 3d
Shatered steel
silent hill 2 and 3 (still trying to find the first for good deal)
Starship Troopers
Dark Forces 1, 2 and Jedi Academy and outcast
KOTOR 1 and 2
Star Wars Episode I Racer
Rogue Squadron 3D
TIE Fighter
xwing
Tie V xwing
Battlefront 1
System Shock
Populous the beginning
The Elder Scrolls Arena and Elder Scrolls 2
Simpsons Hit and Run
Turok 1, 2, 3 and 4
Unreal Tournament
postal 1 and 2
Lords of Magic
Battlecruiser 3000AD

Some other apps I'll have on the system.
CPU-z
HWMonitor
KernelEx-4.5.2
pstrip (full version)
UnrealEditor
CCleaner-2.36.1233
DTLite
SpeedFan

Last edited by austinham on 2020-05-19, 15:55. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 42 of 55, by austinham

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The build as it stands 5-17-20
I bought a new part for the build, M-systems 4000 2gb IDE ssd's.
I bought 3. 2 will be used in raid 1 and one will be as a spare. I wanted the 3000 model but couldn't find them.
Other then that nothing else to add.

EDIT:
I cancelled the order for the SSDs after finding out how slow they were.

Last edited by austinham on 2020-05-18, 17:34. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 43 of 55, by austinham

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The build as it stands 5-18-20
Not much to add, I got a sound blaster audigy for the system.
As of today I still need to get the pumps, tubing, a few fittings, coolant, 44pin to 40pin IDE adapters and 2.5" to 5.25" bay adapters. I also still need to mod the case to fit the rads.

Since the case has a CPU speed turbo display and being 3 digit its of little use for the build. So I'm thinking of using it for a post card display or converting it to a 4 digit display. I'll likely use the turbo button for a power button and the AT power switch to power on auxiliary fans.

Reply 44 of 55, by austinham

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The build as it stands 5-19-20
Still not much to add today. I had ordered two audigy's for the system, a audigy 1 SB0090 with gold ports and audigy2 with the somewhat hard to find midi game port cable. Sadly the seller of the ladder backed out. However I found a little gem know as the SB0160 witch had the midi game port on the card.
I'll likely solder the gold ports from the SB0090 I orders on to the SB0160 and call it a day.
I'll be pump, fitting and tubing shopping today, so stay tuned for more info.

Attachments

Reply 45 of 55, by austinham

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I lied. I did not buy a pump, fitting or tubing today.
I was on eBay looking if I could find a fx5950 or 5900 ultra as I do every day and I found grossly over priced GeForce 6800GT V9999GT 256MB, the rarer model with the ultra heat sink and PCB with dual power plugs. I made a low ball offer to the seller and he took it !!!! Wile I know the 6800 is not the best pick for a retro gaming PC do to the lack of table fog and 8-bit paletted textures. I'll have to deal with that latter down the road.

sellers photo of the card.

Attachments

• s-l1600.jpg
    Filename
    s-l1600.jpg
    File size
    269.69 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 46 of 55, by cde

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
austinham wrote on 2020-05-19, 15:48:

I was on eBay looking if I could find a fx5950 or 5900 ultra as I do every day and I found grossly over priced GeForce 6800GT V9999GT 256MB, the rarer model with the ultra heat sink and PCB with dual power plugs. I made a low ball offer to the seller and he took it !!!! Wile I know the 6800 is not the best pick for a retro gaming PC do to the lack of table fog and 8-bit paletted textures. I'll have to deal with that latter down the road.

That's a nice find! Coincidentally I have received today my (less rare) GeForce 6800GT V9999GT, this model: https://www.techpowerup.com/gpu-specs/asus-v9999-gt.b1133

I suppose the dual power plugs are useful for overclocking?

Reply 47 of 55, by austinham

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
cde wrote on 2020-05-19, 17:20:
austinham wrote on 2020-05-19, 15:48:

That's a nice find! Coincidentally I have received today my (less rare) GeForce 6800GT V9999GT, this model: https://www.techpowerup.com/gpu-specs/asus-v9999-gt.b1133

I suppose the dual power plugs are useful for overclocking?

The ultra had dual plugs for extra power.The ultra was a over volted OC'd 6800gt with better ram timings so it pulled more power. I'm hoping the card will work with ultra bios, a common mod back in the day.

Reply 48 of 55, by cde

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
austinham wrote on 2020-05-19, 17:47:

The ultra had dual plugs for extra power.The ultra was a over volted OC'd 6800gt with better ram timings so it pulled more power. I'm hoping the card will work with ultra bios, a common mod back in the day.

I suppose as long as you have a spare PCI video card to reflash your GT 6800 in case the ultra BIOS doesn't work, then you should be fine (just set video card order to PCI first).

BTW I replaced the original noisy fan/heatsink on my 6800 GT with a Zalman ZF700 (the aluminum version). I would definitely recommend that mod as it decreases noise a lot, and temps are better too.

Reply 49 of 55, by austinham

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
cde wrote on 2020-05-19, 17:53:

I suppose as long as you have a spare PCI video card to reflash your GT 6800 in case the ultra BIOS doesn't work, then you should be fine (just set video card order to PCI first).

You don't need a pci card to flash back a card. That is if you don't mind flashing a card without a video output. I done it a few times before and don't mind having to do that again.

cde wrote on 2020-05-19, 17:53:

BTW I replaced the original noisy fan/heatsink on my 6800 GT with a Zalman ZF700 (the aluminum version). I would definitely recommend that mod as it decreases noise a lot, and temps are better too.

I'm water cooling the card. Even if I was not, the card I bought has the ultra heastink with is far more quite. Not that the zalman is a bad heatsink, they are rather nice.

Reply 50 of 55, by chrismeyer6

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

That 6800 is a great find. Back in the day I had that card and was able to flash it with an ultra bios. The temps were good with the ultra cooler. I wish I still had it and the system it was in.

Reply 51 of 55, by austinham

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The build as it stands 5-22-20
I took out the turbo display/power led board in hopes to fix the dead led's. Sadly the board is junk. no big deal. led's are cheap. I'll get new ones.
I still need to find a 2 digit post card with a external display to replace the turbo display. I may just have to de solder the display on one and make a wire for it.

Reply 52 of 55, by austinham

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The build as it stands 5-27-20
Not much to add. I got the SB Audigy SE. I made two brackets to hold the motherboard tray in place as well. All that is left for case modding is to make the cut outs for 80mm rads.

Reply 53 of 55, by austinham

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The build as it stands 5-29-20
I modified the cross beam support bar to free up space to fit a 80mm fan on the rear of the case. I also started marking up the case for the radiators.

Photos will be posted soon.

Reply 55 of 55, by austinham

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
chrismeyer6 wrote on Today, 02:11:

Very nice. Im looking forward to seeing the pictures

Thanks. I really didn’t want to post the mods in progress as some here would likely object to the mods on an AT case, but once seeing them done they would likely be far more understanding.

I can’t wait to get it done. But sadly I cant find the arbor (center dill bit pice) for my hole saws so the holes for the 80mm rads will have to wait awhile before I can do those.