VOGONS

First post, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The mailman brought a package today.

It’s an IBM 755cse with SelectaDock and Sound Blaster 16 ISA card.
It is almost intact just missing the SelectaDock keys, and bottom speaker cover and back cover.
Otherwise it all there.

So I opened it up the top lid to the 755 and found that the battery has started to corrode so I pulled it out.
This is a common problem with these old Thinkpads and a known cause of failure due to the corrosion getting
On the circuit board PCB.

But this Thinkpad still boots but it has a bios lock.
I am not worried about that.

I have a couple donors I am going to use to build a good working one.
I actually only need the TFT Display. But will will see what other parts I can use to build a good working one.
I really like this Multimedia SelectaDock because it has built in speakers, ports, and CDROM.

I think this was IBM’s first Multimedia computer.

First thing I am going to do is take this to a locksmith and get a key made for the SelectaDock.
Then I need to clean up this computer.
The rubber has begun to melt and gets all over my hands when I touch it.
How can I clean off all this disintegrating rubber?

This guy has a nice resource page about the thinkpad 755cse
http://oldcomputer.info/portables/tp755cse/index.htm

Manual
https://manualsbrain.com/en/manuals/1199222/?page=441

Attachments

Last edited by Intel486dx33 on 2021-01-31, 16:03. Edited 5 times in total.

Reply 1 of 15, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

More photos

Attachments

Reply 2 of 15, by Bondi

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You made a great deal.
I also have this docking station with TP360CE or 760LD attached to it. And this is an excellent setup for DOS gaming.
The only downside of your 755CSE is the DSTN screen, as you already mentioned. It also has MWAVE based sound card, according to Thinkwiki. Is it indeed the case? From my experience MVAWE it works okay, but I'd disable it and install a proper sound card with MIDI DB in the ISA slot inside the dock.
It may also be tricky to find the CD-ROM for it. I bought the installation kit (66G3536 ) for mine on ebay, but see none available now.

There is a very nice thread about this device - 486 Thinkpad with genuine Sound Blaster Pro 2

PCMCIA Sound Cards chart
archive.org: PCMCIA software, manuals, drivers

Reply 3 of 15, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Bondi wrote on 2020-04-27, 16:14:
You made a great deal. I also have this docking station with TP360CE or 760LD attached to it. And this is an excellent setup for […]
Show full quote

You made a great deal.
I also have this docking station with TP360CE or 760LD attached to it. And this is an excellent setup for DOS gaming.
The only downside of your 755CSE is the DSTN screen, as you already mentioned. It also has MWAVE based sound card, according to Thinkwiki. Is it indeed the case? From my experience MVAWE it works okay, but I'd disable it and install a proper sound card with MIDI DB in the ISA slot inside the dock.
It may also be tricky to find the CD-ROM for it. I bought the installation kit (66G3536 ) for mine on ebay, but see none available now.

There is a very nice thread about this device - 486 Thinkpad with genuine Sound Blaster Pro 2

I have some questions.
1) When the dock is locked does it also lock the computer screen ?
2) Do you have a link to the docking station manual ?
3) What ISA sound cards work in this dock ?
4) Does Win95 perform okay in this laptop with a 486dx4-100 CPU ?

Reply 4 of 15, by Bondi

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

There is no actually screen lock. The lock has 3 positions - left(2) - computer cannot be turned on at all, middle - TP can be undocked, right(1) - can be turned on. So, in the position of your lock it can boot, but cannot be undocked.
http://download.lenovo.com/ibmdl/pub/pc/pccbb … les/dock1ug.pdf - User's guide
http://download.lenovo.com/ibmdl/pub/pc/pccbb … kpad/tpvol1.pdf - HMM
The dock can take any full length and hight isa card with a daughtherboard.
Win95 works acceptable if you have enough RAM. There are videos of 755CD(same CPU) running W95 on YT.

Did you try to remove the BIOS battery to clear the password? There should be 2 batteries, one is standby battery the other one is BIOS battery. If you're lucky it's the boot password, and not supervisor pasword.

PCMCIA Sound Cards chart

Reply 5 of 15, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Yes, I removed the batteries and turned on the laptop.
I received 2 beeps and then it reboots. it just goes in a cycle.
I did not see any lock on the screen however.

I also tried to open the bottom but the key is locked so I could not open the bottom cover.
Can you post a photo of the key. I want to try to have a local locksmith make a key.

Reply 6 of 15, by Bondi

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Do you start it with main battery removed? I had exactly the same problem. Removing the battery did the trick.
Here is the key.

key.jpg
Filename
key.jpg
File size
304.48 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

PCMCIA Sound Cards chart

Reply 7 of 15, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Thanks for your help.
Yes, I removed the main battery and the two other batteries. One was a yellow coin battery and the other was a green battery.
They both look bad with corrosion.
See photo.

Attachments

Reply 8 of 15, by Bondi

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Just checked beep symptom table https://download.lenovo.com/ibmdl/pub/pc/pccb … iles/tpvol2.pdf

Two short beeps with blank screen. - 1. System Board

Last edited by Stiletto on 2020-05-01, 04:31. Edited 1 time in total.

PCMCIA Sound Cards chart

Reply 9 of 15, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Bondi wrote on 2020-04-30, 11:57:

Just checked beep symptom table https://download.lenovo.com/ibmdl/pub/pc/pccb … iles/tpvol2.pdf

Two short beeps with blank screen. - 1. System Board

Yeah, I saw that document. It’s almost like for any beeps they quote ( -1. System board ).

I am going to take it to the lock smith maybe next week to get a key made.
Once I get it off the dock I can more comfortably work on it.

Thanks for your help.

Reply 11 of 15, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I have a new donor thinkpad so I should be able to make at least one good one out of these.

Attachments

Reply 13 of 15, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Yes, I still have to take this to the local locksmith and get a key made.
I have been putting it off because of the lockdown.
At least I have a working 755 thinkpad.

But I have some new sound cards too.

Attachments

Reply 14 of 15, by jholt0147

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm working on a similar project a frankenpad with parts a 760ED, 760EL, 755c and a Dock I 3545.
The dock was locked when I got it. I'm little more impatient than the OP and started taking screws out and managed to remove the bottom panel.
I admit it did take a little force and my dock was in rough shape to begin with and wasn't risking much
(I got the Dock and the 755c with busted lcd together off ebay for $80).
I then removed the back of the lock and rotated the metal plate 90 degrees so it was in the unlocked position but the lock itself was locked.
Dock works fine