VOGONS

First post, by khyypio

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Refurbished and upgraded my friends old Windows XP machine. Video coming in a few days!

6.jpg
Filename
6.jpg
File size
163.68 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

- MSI K8N Neo3
- AMD Sempron 3300+
- ASUS EN7600GS SILENT/HTD/256M
- 2 x Kingston PC-3200 512MB DIMM 400 MHz DDR SDRAM

Upgrades
- Kolink 500 W PSU
- Sound Blaster Audigy 2
- Kingston 120 Gb SSD
- 2 x Thermaltake case fans
- Wifi-card

12.jpg
Filename
12.jpg
File size
318.13 KiB
Views
File license
3.jpg
Filename
3.jpg
File size
188.55 KiB
Views
File license
4.jpg
Filename
4.jpg
File size
167.92 KiB
Views
File license
5.jpg
Filename
5.jpg
File size
181.46 KiB
Views
File license

Reply 3 of 7, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
khyypio wrote on 2020-05-05, 08:11:

Here´s a video about the project:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MWvWRq56v-o

This looks really nice!

I like the style of how you shot the movie and the angle of filming and the atmosphere of it.
The way you cut it is basically showing everything in some kind of minimalistic style, which makes it interesting to watch as there's always something happening.
For some reason seeing all these dirty parts get cleaned up is somewhat satisfying to watch btw.
I'm not sure the gloves would be really needed, but it does look very period correct now with all that corona stuff going on now, if you know what I mean 😜
(I liked the black ones better btw, watched that video of yours before but enough about the gloves 😜)

I remember having worked on a very similar board from MSI, very similar part number with same socket but not your exact motherboard.
I have the ASUS 7600GS passive, but for AGP. I could recommend however that you make sure that it is kept cool. I ended up mounting an 8cm case fan directly to the heatsink of my ASUS 7600GS.
I do presume that my AGP version of this card does get a bit hotter due to it having a bridge chip, but better safe then sorry 😜

Nicely done 😁

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 4 of 7, by khyypio

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Tetrium wrote on 2020-05-22, 10:09:
This looks really nice! […]
Show full quote

This looks really nice!

I like the style of how you shot the movie and the angle of filming and the atmosphere of it.
The way you cut it is basically showing everything in some kind of minimalistic style, which makes it interesting to watch as there's always something happening.
For some reason seeing all these dirty parts get cleaned up is somewhat satisfying to watch btw.
I'm not sure the gloves would be really needed, but it does look very period correct now with all that corona stuff going on now, if you know what I mean 😜
(I liked the black ones better btw, watched that video of yours before but enough about the gloves 😜)

I remember having worked on a very similar board from MSI, very similar part number with same socket but not your exact motherboard.
I have the ASUS 7600GS passive, but for AGP. I could recommend however that you make sure that it is kept cool. I ended up mounting an 8cm case fan directly to the heatsink of my ASUS 7600GS.
I do presume that my AGP version of this card does get a bit hotter due to it having a bridge chip, but better safe then sorry 😜

Nicely done 😁

Thank you! I try to edit everything unnecessary out of my videos so that it stays interesting and consistent. I´ve seen so many videos in Youtube where the creator just talks over a static video clip where nothing happens, you´d achieve the same result just by talking over a photo 😁 Then there´s a lot of hour-long uncut stripdown/rebuild videos filmed with handheld cameraphone. That´s a LOT of uninteresting and unpleasant footage, which is a shame especially if the project itself would be interesting.

As for the gloves, I think they are absolutely essential. Sure, they protect from small cuts but the main reason I use them is hygiene. I think it´s silly when people handle hardware that´s been gathering dust, moisture and other crap for years, sometimes even decades, then clean them with isopropyl and do this with bare hands riddled with small cuts. Instead of people carelessly and harming themselves, I would definately recommend them to use protective gear 😀

I tested this machine for a couple of weeks and I thought the GPU stayed suprisingly cool. Anyway, I´m actually trying to sell this machine because I don´t have any use for it.

Reply 5 of 7, by slivercr

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Excited to find this post!

I have the exact same motherboard and have been planning on refurbishing it for a while now. I noticed you changed the capacitors in the top—were these the only ones you changed? Did you have any trouble with the board before changing them?

Long live the MS-7135!

EDIT: nevermind, just watched the video and the caps were bulging to the point of exploding. I'll exchange those first in mine and see how it behaves.
Could you do me a favor? Would you kindly take a high-resolution picture of the SATA ports on your board? In particular of the small components between and around the SATA ports. As I was inspecting mine I found a couple of empty spaces between them. I want to know if this was by design or if the board got damaged somehow and I need to repair it.

Outrigger: an ongoing adventure with the OR840
QuForce FX 5800: turn your Quadro into a GeForce

Reply 6 of 7, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
khyypio wrote on 2020-05-22, 11:09:
Thank you! I try to edit everything unnecessary out of my videos so that it stays interesting and consistent. I´ve seen so many […]
Show full quote
Tetrium wrote on 2020-05-22, 10:09:
This looks really nice! […]
Show full quote

This looks really nice!

Nicely done 😁

Thank you! I try to edit everything unnecessary out of my videos so that it stays interesting and consistent. I´ve seen so many videos in Youtube where the creator just talks over a static video clip where nothing happens, you´d achieve the same result just by talking over a photo 😁 Then there´s a lot of hour-long uncut stripdown/rebuild videos filmed with handheld cameraphone. That´s a LOT of uninteresting and unpleasant footage, which is a shame especially if the project itself would be interesting.

As for the gloves, I think they are absolutely essential. Sure, they protect from small cuts but the main reason I use them is hygiene. I think it´s silly when people handle hardware that´s been gathering dust, moisture and other crap for years, sometimes even decades, then clean them with isopropyl and do this with bare hands riddled with small cuts. Instead of people carelessly and harming themselves, I would definately recommend them to use protective gear 😀

I tested this machine for a couple of weeks and I thought the GPU stayed suprisingly cool. Anyway, I´m actually trying to sell this machine because I don´t have any use for it.

Especially when I get second hand stuff like old complete computers, I always give them a good full and thorough clean, after I take the machine apart.
I'll even take the case apart and usually clean them using a paint brush, paper towels with a bit of water and often even in the shower.
PSUs I always clean after I opened them up and partially taken apart.

Some parts I clean with cleaning alcohol, like old TIM.

I've seen dozens of second hand pcs from the insides and many of these were so dirty that I wouldn't even take them into the house till I had the opportunity to clean them and keep them in the box or the shed for the 1st night.

I combine the cleaning with a (thorough) inspection of the parts for any obvious signs of damage.

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 7 of 7, by khyypio

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
slivercr wrote on 2020-05-24, 15:23:
Excited to find this post! […]
Show full quote

Excited to find this post!

I have the exact same motherboard and have been planning on refurbishing it for a while now. I noticed you changed the capacitors in the top—were these the only ones you changed? Did you have any trouble with the board before changing them?

Long live the MS-7135!

EDIT: nevermind, just watched the video and the caps were bulging to the point of exploding. I'll exchange those first in mine and see how it behaves.
Could you do me a favor? Would you kindly take a high-resolution picture of the SATA ports on your board? In particular of the small components between and around the SATA ports. As I was inspecting mine I found a couple of empty spaces between them. I want to know if this was by design or if the board got damaged somehow and I need to repair it.

I´ve already packaged this computer. But here´s cropped pic from a photo I used in the vid:

IMG_5210.jpg
Filename
IMG_5210.jpg
File size
589.49 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0