VOGONS

First post, by ildonaldo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi there,

I really created somewhat of a monster 😉
This is my latest 2004 built and it is hot - in fact too hot and I disassembled it some days later 🙁

Board: Asus NCCH-DL, Dual Socket 604, Intel 875P Chipset
CPU: 2x Xeon SL7TB (Nocona), 2.8 GHz, FSB 800, Hyper-Threading, TDP 103W, Socket 604
CPU-Cooler: 2x Verax X20, Socket 603/604, 3x 6mm Heatpipes
RAM: 2GB (1x1GB), ADATA DDR 400 (PC 3200), CL 3, ADBGC1A16
2D/3D: Palit XpertVision ATI/AMD Radeon X850 XT, 256 MB GDDR3, AGP 8x
Sound: ADI AD1980 SoundMax (Onboard)
HDD: Raid 0, 2x 250 GB Sata HDD, Seagate Barracuda 7200.9
ODD: DVD Multidrive, LG GSA-4120B, IDE
ZIP-Drive: Iomega ZIP 250, IDE
Case: InWin IW-C588
PSU: Xilence XP600, 600W, active PFC, ATX

Unfortuately the dual Xeon need a lot more breathing space that in that case and it ran constantly hot when the case was closed.
Plus the two Verax fans don't just look like tubines, the also sound like in the small case.
This combo needs a way biger tower case with several fans to aid the airflow.

So I slaughtered this monster and will put in a P4-HT instead - this specs will follow soon.

Have fun 😉

01.jpg
Filename
01.jpg
File size
223.02 KiB
Views
File comment
Asus NCCH-DL with dual Xeon
File license
GPL-2.0-or-later
02.jpg
Filename
02.jpg
File size
188.81 KiB
Views
File comment
some more HW
File license
GPL-2.0-or-later
04.jpg
Filename
04.jpg
File size
158.87 KiB
Views
File comment
Case with HW
File license
GPL-2.0-or-later
07.jpg
Filename
07.jpg
File size
183.07 KiB
Views
File comment
The Verax-Coolers
File license
GPL-2.0-or-later
08.jpg
Filename
08.jpg
File size
284.63 KiB
Views
File comment
Pass Mark 7 rating
File license
GPL-2.0-or-later

Building my own PCs since 1991 - for my retro builds it's "no CF-disks, no Floppy emulators, no modern cases etc.", only the real and authentic stuff whenever possible.

Reply 1 of 19, by WildW

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'm jealous because you built my old system from 2004. I had dual 3.0 Nocona Xeons, I don't remember having heat problems though, but different heatsinks that were so loud I kept the PC in a different room and used long cables. Here's a terrible vintage picture.

I loved that machine. . . in many ways it was "only" a 3GHz P4. but 2 cores and 4 threads, it was so snappy and did me proud in Battlefield 2.

Attachments

• pc2.jpg
    Filename
    pc2.jpg
    File size
    109.95 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 3 of 19, by pentiumspeed

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Never mind! Verax fan was reviewed and people tried them and they performed poorly no wonder I heard very little about them, remember I was searching for quiet solutions to my noisy PC was Athlon PC back in the day. Even ebay has only one verax heatsink just now, using regular fan, plenty of information on google back in the day when verax were tried out. Ended up built my own adjustable voltage regulator on a card attached to a bracket taken from old card.

Ignore this:
You realize that funny thick fans in front of these two heatsinks are blowing out forward instead of into heatsink? Turn these heatsinks around so these oddball fans blows towards rear panel and flip the thinner fans to blow into the heatsinks.

My funny story:
I had a customer come in few months back, saying hot, His liquid cooling radiator fans sandwich was blowing into radiator both sides. Simply flipped one fan around to move in one direction fixed it.

May have to change these heatsinks to Nocta, what I like to look for is thick fins, more spacing between fin to fin than normal so only needs low pressure, high flow to keep noise down.

Good cases always have 2 equal openings: intake and exhaust surface area and your does not meet that hence hot.

Also that exhaust fan blades is not broad enough to generate pressure while kept quiet.

Good fans to look like this for:

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/NIDEC-B35502-35-12038 … s8AAOSwyKta7~58
https://www.ebay.ca/itm/1PC-Delta-12CM-12038- … kIAAOSw~TdchcGx
https://www.ebay.ca/itm/1-PCS-NEW-Delta-QFR12 … NucAAOSwjdRewQz~

PS: All this shit cost more to build a PC with high end cooling gear, I actually find this cheaper just buy a HP or Dell workstation and upgrade it. They were built to be quiet and cool. I now have 3 workstations.
And can get quiet dual CPU workstation as well.

Cheers,

Last edited by pentiumspeed on 2020-05-24, 18:36. Edited 2 times in total.

Great Northern aka Canada.

Reply 4 of 19, by Errius

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I actually ran a S604 system as my main rig from 2017-2019. The motherboard was taken out of a HP ProLiant ML350 G4p and put into a generic ATX case, though I had to source a special PSU to get it to work. And yes, heat was a persistent problem. The fans would go into jet turbine mode if the CPUs got too hot, which happened continuously whenever a little dust accumulated on the HSFs. It had to be regularly cleaned of dust every couple of months for this reason. I think the case was the problem, as the original stock case had a special ducted cooling system which was difficult to bring over to the new case.

Is this too much voodoo?

Reply 5 of 19, by zPacKRat

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Makes me miss my old NCCH-DL setup, ran it as an ESX host for some time before it was just not enough. Ran it in an Antec Titan 550 and actually only used the exhaust fan to to cool the cpu's and never had any heat issues. I made a duct that went over the heatsinks to the exhaust fan with heavy card stock, that thing was fairly quiet too. Just another system that was bad ass in the day that had to be sold to upgrade.

Reply 6 of 19, by Tali

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
ildonaldo wrote on 2020-05-24, 14:52:

So I slaughtered this monster and will put in a P4-HT instead - this specs will follow soon.

Sorceress weeps for her kin... 🙁

On a serious note, Antec Three Hundred case would alleviate some of those heat-related issues due to much better airflow (with two front fans and one rear, one side and one top fan, you are pretty much free to build either pressure positive or pressure negative system). I still have a C2Q in such case, overclocked, and it's running at low 50's on load (Celsius, ofc).

Reply 7 of 19, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Nice! I've been dusting off my 604 rigs as prices are a bargain at the moment.

Few ideas to put it all together again 😉

Dell workstation running NT4
Precision 650 Dual Xeon System

HP Workstation running Win2k
Windows 2000 20th Anniversary Client/server build

Also had a ML350 G5 running Win2k but motherboard died not long after upgrading it as far as I could. Not sure I'f I'm going to fix it or move the parts over to a DL380 G5 I recently picked up

Reply 8 of 19, by ildonaldo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Tali wrote on 2020-05-26, 10:27:

... I still have a C2Q in such case, overclocked, and it's running at low 50's on load (Celsius, ofc).

Yes the C2Q is a fine CPU, I've never owned one.
Maybe it will be one of my next projects ...

I have a 2003 LianLi case that would have been big enough for the dual Xeon but that case currently houses my XP 3200+

Anyway, I've just sold the Xeon-board for a reasonable price.

Building my own PCs since 1991 - for my retro builds it's "no CF-disks, no Floppy emulators, no modern cases etc.", only the real and authentic stuff whenever possible.

Reply 9 of 19, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
ildonaldo wrote on 2020-05-26, 14:16:

Ah man, oh well not like dual rigs are practical , your power company will be upset though 😉

Reply 10 of 19, by Tali

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

@chinny22:
DL380 G5? I'm jealous!
I used to have one of those doing work-related stuff, back when I was still head of IT... even remember the day we purchased it. Nice machine, lasted almost 10 years as a main database server.

@ildonaldo
If you decide to pick the legendary Q6600, make sure you get the right edition. I don't remember the other code, but SLACR were the ones that oc'ed like no tomorrow. People even called them "slacker" for that.

Reply 11 of 19, by Jackhead

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

nice, i would run that with a WD Raptor Raid 0

Dos 6.22: Asus VL/I-486SV2GX4 Rev 2.0 1Mb L2 - AMD A5x86 X5 ADZ 133MHz @160MHz - 64MB RAM - CT2230 - GUS ACE - MPU-401 AT - ET4000W32P
Win98SE: Asus P5K-WS - E8600 @ 4,5GHz - Strange God Voodoo 5 6000 PCI @ 66MHz PCI-X - 2GB DDR2 1066 - Audigy 2 ZS

Reply 12 of 19, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
ildonaldo wrote:

DAMN YOU! I wanted to buy that board!

Well, I hope it went to a good home. As a rabid fan of all systems multi-cpu, I must say you had a real jewel of a setup there. A single cpu system is just so BORING.

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 13 of 19, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Tali wrote on 2020-05-26, 18:57:

@chinny22:
DL380 G5? I'm jealous!
I used to have one of those doing work-related stuff, back when I was still head of IT... even remember the day we purchased it. Nice machine, lasted almost 10 years as a main database server.

It was my unofficial going away present to myself.
Client where I got those other 2 workstations linked above kept their 5 in storage "just in case" 2 were still physical 2008 servers the other 3 were ESX hosts.
So combined the best bits and off I went. Know the new IT contractor will dispose of them as part of the contract is to replace the currant servers making these even more redundant.

Plan to install Win2k as the G5's look to be the last HP servers with official support. Am lucky though as I would never of bothered to actually pay for one though.

Reply 14 of 19, by ildonaldo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
luckybob wrote on 2020-05-26, 20:07:

Well, I hope it went to a good home.

I think it was bought as replacement for a broken legacy server 😀

Last edited by ildonaldo on 2020-05-27, 12:36. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 15 of 19, by ildonaldo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Now, with the P4 HT the case isn't that crowded any more and it runs a lot cooler.
... and I even added an Adaptec 1210SA raid controller.

01.jpg
Filename
01.jpg
File size
75.6 KiB
Views
File comment
Pentium 4 HT, 3GHz
File license
GPL-2.0-or-later

Reply 16 of 19, by Tali

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
ildonaldo wrote on 2020-05-27, 12:28:
luckybob wrote on 2020-05-26, 20:07:

Well, I hope it went to a good home.

I think it was bought as replacement for a broken legacy server 😀

It's a good thing then. Xeons were made for work, and they should be (at least on occasion) kept doing some work, lest they get bored. I hope I'm not boring Sorceress with games, but an occasional video render... and now pretty much working from home, with a couple simultaneous compilations from VS and iJ, a virtual machine running in Hyper-V, and Unity3D is a hog in and of itself... anyway, time to work again.

Reply 17 of 19, by Tali

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
ildonaldo wrote on 2020-05-27, 12:29:

Now, with the P4 HT the case isn't that crowded any more and it runs a lot cooler.
... and I even added an Adaptec 1210SA raid controller.

01.jpg

Heh, most P4's wish they had coolers like that!

Reply 18 of 19, by ildonaldo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Tali wrote on 2020-05-28, 06:44:

Heh, most P4's wish they had coolers like that!

That's a realtivly cheap but quite silent cooler from Arctic Cooling.
... and I like silent 😀

Reply 19 of 19, by Tali

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Yes, silence is golden. I chose Asus Arctic Square for mine, and even got one supposedly NOS, but it seems quite noisy (and far too fast). So I'll try to pacify it with a speed controller, but, worst case scenario, I'll just replace the fan with something else. It does sound odd, however, so I think it might be a manufacturing defect. Well, too late for warranty, I guess...