VOGONS

My Dream Pentium III Build

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

First post, by starcube

User metadata
Rank Retired
Rank
Retired

Last edited by Stiletto on 2020-06-03, 21:43. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 3 of 10, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Nice!

Also nice to see an LS-120 drive seeing some use 😀
The case looks nice as well. How is the build quality of your case?
Did you use a 1GHz 133MHz FSB or a 1GHz 100MHz FSB Pentium 3?
I assume you're not using an overclocked 750MHz model?
I suppose it's a Coppermine model? Does it have an IHS?
I suppose you have the system running at 100MHz FSB?
Is there any particular reason you opted to use ECC memory? I did notice you're using a lot of double sided SDRAMs.

Btw, may I suggest that you make the list of parts that you used have some ENTERs so it's a bit easier to read 😜

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 4 of 10, by starcube

User metadata
Rank Retired
Rank
Retired
Tetrium wrote on 2020-05-24, 22:29:
Nice! […]
Show full quote

Nice!

Is there any particular reason you opted to use ECC memory? I did notice you're using a lot of double sided SDRAMs.

Btw, may I suggest that you make the list of parts that you used have some ENTERs so it's a bit easier to read 😜

Hell yeah! LS-120 is much cooler than Zip in my opinion. 😀

Case is fine. It's 0.7mm SECC steel, thankfully. Not one of those paper-thin Chinesium crapboxes.

The processor is an SL5QV - the final (D0) stepping Coppermine with 100MHz FSB. I chose not to do 133MHz as I don't want AGP running at 89MHz. I prefer stability to overclocking.

ECC is a great way to improve stability and it's free, so why not? The RAM is brand new and ECC costs exactly the same as non-ECC.

The SDRAM modules are actually single-sided. The chips are only on the right-hand side of each module.

Reply 5 of 10, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
starcube wrote on 2020-05-24, 22:41:
Hell yeah! LS-120 is much cooler than Zip in my opinion. :) […]
Show full quote
Nice! […]
Show full quote

Nice!

Case is fine. It's 0.7mm SECC steel, thankfully. Not one of those paper-thin Chinesium crapboxes.

The processor is an SL5QV - the final (D0) stepping Coppermine with 100MHz FSB. I chose not to do 133MHz as I don't want AGP running at 89MHz. I prefer stability to overclocking.

ECC is a great way to improve stability and it's free, so why not? The RAM is brand new and ECC costs exactly the same as non-ECC.

The SDRAM modules are actually single-sided. The chips are only on the right-hand side of each module.

Now that I zoomed in and took a better look, it is single sided indeed, how sloppy of me xD

I'm pretty sure I have some ECC modules laying around. Can't remember if I actually used it but I didn't seem to really require it. Still nice seeing a build use it though.

All 3 systems you created individual threads for look good and I like that you gave them quite the amount of attention 😀
Did you build all 3 of them recently?

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 6 of 10, by starcube

User metadata
Rank Retired
Rank
Retired
Tetrium wrote on 2020-05-24, 23:25:
Now that I zoomed in and took a better look, it is single sided indeed, how sloppy of me xD […]
Show full quote
starcube wrote on 2020-05-24, 22:41:
Hell yeah! LS-120 is much cooler than Zip in my opinion. :) […]
Show full quote
Nice! […]
Show full quote

Nice!

Now that I zoomed in and took a better look, it is single sided indeed, how sloppy of me xD

I'm pretty sure I have some ECC modules laying around. Can't remember if I actually used it but I didn't seem to really require it. Still nice seeing a build use it though.

All 3 systems you created individual threads for look good and I like that you gave them quite the amount of attention 😀
Did you build all 3 of them recently?

Thanks again. 😀 I built them over the past 2 years. The configurations evolved over time as I acquired and tested different components. I feel that I have finally arrived at the ultimate configuration for each system so it felt right to brag to the world a little!

Reply 8 of 10, by starcube

User metadata
Rank Retired
Rank
Retired
chinny22 wrote on 2020-05-26, 12:25:

Removable HDD, Plextor optical drive and that case design with big USB marketing just screams late 90's early 2000's
Do you actually use TV Tuner?

Yup, that was the point. 😀 Yes, I can connect a VCR or a game console to the tuner card, and since it's a Brooktree chipset, there's no lag.

It's also there because it's what I had back in the day.