VOGONS

First post, by philmac

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

OK, so this isn't a dream build, more of a resurrection build 😜

Shuttle make a range of small-form-factor PC barebones builds. They provide the PSU, motherboard and case, all you have to do is drop in your CPU, RAM, storage and you're good to go. I bought one of these in 2005, and used it as my main XP build up until I upgraded to a Phenom-based Athlon (and Win7). This particular Shuttle is an SN41G2v3 with an FN45 motherboard, designed for an Athlon XP processor. It uses the nForce2 chipset, and has built-in USB, sound, networking, firewire (and on the original board, dual-VGA GeForce 4 MX graphics). It also had support for IDE and SATA drives, and featured a heat-pipe cooler and a 250W PSU.

I had vague memories of being able to run Win98 on it when I first got it, and Covid Lockdown had me bored, so I decided to try and build a working 98/XP machine out of the spares I have, buying as little as possible. I fished it back out of a box of spares, and found it wouldn't power up properly... great. Onto eBay and I managed to find an FN45 motherboard of an earlier version that would fit the case, so I snapped it up. The original Athlon XP 3000+ and 1Gb RAM seemed to work OK, and the replacement board resulted in a bootup.

For graphics I'd normally rely on the built-in GPU, but the replacement board didn't have the VGA connectors. I was planning on using a Radeon HD 3650 AGP, but found out that this doesn't support Win98. Luckily I found an ATI Radeon 9600 Pro in my spares box in working order. The nForce chipset did include 5.1 sound, but no DOS support and no game port. I had a spare SBLive 0220 card kicking about from an old build and decided to use this alongside the Radeon card. I had originally gone for an Audigy 2 ZS from another PC, but realised after putting this in that it didn't have a game port attached.

IMG_3483.JPG
Filename
IMG_3483.JPG
File size
1.73 MiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0
IMG_3484.JPG
Filename
IMG_3484.JPG
File size
1.29 MiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

For storage, I used a combination of older devices I had kicking about. A Maxtor 120Gb UDMA IDE drive for Win98, an ex-Apple Macbook 500Gb SATA drive for XP, and a Samsung 1.5TB HD for general storage, along with a NEC DVD-RW.

IMG_3485.JPG
Filename
IMG_3485.JPG
File size
1017.8 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

With all of this crammed in, there really isn't much room. The entire case is cooled by a single 80mm fan, luckily the BIOS supports temp-based controls (so I've configured it to keep the CPU below 48C).

IMG_3489.JPG
Filename
IMG_3489.JPG
File size
1.62 MiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

Assembly complete, only parts bought were a (replacement) motherboard:

IMG_3493.JPG
Filename
IMG_3493.JPG
File size
1.27 MiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

Final Spec:

Shuttle SN41G2 (FN43 Motherboard)
1Gb DDR200 RAM
AMD Athlon XP 3000+
ATI Radeon 9600
SB Live 0220
Maxtor 120Gb IDE Drive (Win98)
Seagate 500Gb SATA Drive (WinXP)
HP CD-RW IDE.

Last edited by philmac on 2020-05-27, 15:28. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 1 of 8, by philmac

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Managed to get Win98 SE working (although with some IDE compatibility issues on initial boot). Even with the correct nForce drivers installed, it refused to play ball until I disabled protected-mode interrupt handling. I've since enabled it and it's all working without issue, which is confusing as I've not updated the drivers or changed the hardware configuration.

Win98.PNG
Filename
Win98.PNG
File size
7.84 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

Windows XP was easier to set up, I put this on one of the two SATA drives:

winxpsplash.PNG
Filename
winxpsplash.PNG
File size
44.07 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

I've installed all of my Win98/2K/XP games successfully, the box seems happy with everything I throw at it so far (with the exception of Doom3 which pushes the 9600 into a stutter, I remember buying the HD3650 to fix that particular problem). I've also managed to get an old copy of Steam working and the box is now pulling down the games that will run on the hardware. Been quietly impressed to see Windows XP pulling down updates from Microsoft, given that the OS went EOL 6 years ago.

3dmark98.PNG
Filename
3dmark98.PNG
File size
33.21 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

Benchmark scores seem decent, I've been pleasantly surprised by the performance given the age of the hardware. The box is nice and quiet (as always), which is impressive given the amount of heat-generating electronics packed into such a small space.

desktop.PNG
Filename
desktop.PNG
File size
757.57 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0
everestxp.PNG
Filename
everestxp.PNG
File size
112.97 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

Next challenge - trying to get the Shuttle working as a DOS platform (I used to have the SBLive! working in DOS with a previous incarnation of this machine, so it shouldn't be too difficult).

And there you have it - good things packed into a small (semi-portable) package 😀

Reply 2 of 8, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

"I've installed all of my Win98/2K/XP games successfully, the box seems happy with everything I throw at it so far"

In that case I'd already call this project a success even if it failed at XP altogether. Things so small wouldn't be a big deal if you need to runup a separate PC for XP.
The fact you most the hardware makes it all the better.

If the dos challenge ends in complete failure something this powerful playing dos games within Win98 is a legit setup in my book.

Reply 5 of 8, by philmac

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
darry wrote on 2020-05-28, 03:29:

I friend of mine had one but the PSU died and took the board with it . I hope this one has a long and happy life .

This one has chewed through multiple PSUs over the last 15 years, they don't seem to stand up to the heat very well. Luckily they're no longer a proprietary type (a lot of 1U servers use them) so getting hold of spares is easy.

The motherboard is more of a concern, they're hard to come by (I only found one potential replacement on eBay). I'm going to check the failed one over for dodgy caps and see if I can salvage it, as it's still a better example than the one I've replaced it with.

Reply 7 of 8, by philmac

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
chrismeyer6 wrote on 2020-05-28, 11:52:

Considering the era these boards are from I'd bet a recap of the original board is in order. How are the temps ?

CPU seems to be pegged at 50C solid, the rest of the temps fluctuate depending on utilisation:

temps.png
Filename
temps.png
File size
19.15 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0