VOGONS

First post, by Williwinner

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello everyone,

Great forum. I always enjoy reading your opinions about parts and builds. And finally i am about to build my first own Super Socket 7 pc for win98 and DOS. And i would love to hear your opinions about it.

First i wanted to go with a voodoo 3 which was my first 3d-card but i decided that it should go into a Pentium II machine like the one i had back in the day.

1) Mainboard: I currently have two SS7 that i found by chance without even looking for it. I tend to go with the gigabyte model, but i read it is onlay average speed. Whats your opinion?
Gigabyte GA-5AX rev 5.2 or Soyo 5EMA+ rev 1.1

2) Graphics: I have 2 Voodoo 2s from Gainward that i want to use. I m currently waiting for a matrox mystique 220 (4mb version) that could take care of the 2D and DOS part. Is it too old, or still a good fit? Other suggestions?

3) Sound: I have an Sound Blaster audigy with the front panel. Should i go for another model for better DOS-compatibility.

3) Other components
CPU: currently only K6-2 500. Once i find a fast k6-3(+) i would like to upgrade
Storage: I will probably go with an ssd (& ide-adapter) as many old hdd failed me

I would love to hear suggestions.
Best regards
Michael

Reply 2 of 18, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Depending on which Win9x games you intend for this PC I'd maybe pair the Voodoo's with a Nividia card for stronger D3d support and still has good dos compatibility.
The Matrox will be more fun in dos as you can mess round with the few 3D titles that support the MSI API
List can be found here: https://www.vogonswiki.com/index.php/Matrox_Mystique

Audigy is a great card for Win98 and the front panel gives you bonus cool points but its dos compatibility is meh.
You just cant beat ISA for dos sound.

Personally I don't get hung up on benchmark results. If you like the Gigabyte more go with that, If its too slow you'll have a P2 soon enough to jump on anyway

Reply 3 of 18, by jheronimus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Since you want to play DOS games, check this matrix to see if the card in question has compatibility issues. Matrox is one of the less compatible ones, though it's not too bad in practice.

You've also mentioned that you have a Pentium III with Voodoo 3, so I'd assume that performance is not extremely important with this SS7 build. At best it's going to reach fast Pentium II levels, so the overlap will be very significant. For that reason, I wouldn't necessarily recommend a fast card. A Cirrus Logic or an S3 Virge could suit the build better, and both exist in AGP versions as well (not because they are faster but just to save a slot on the motherboard).

MR BIOS catalog
Unicore catalog

Reply 4 of 18, by Williwinner

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

"check this matrix"

Wow, that matrix is incredible. Problems with scrolling (esp. in Commander Keen) hurts a lot. Didn't know nvidia cards were so well optimised for DOS-compatibility.

But i also agree with Chinny22 that the matrox card just sounds like a lot of fun to play around.

And yes besides the Pentium2/Voodoo3 i also have plans for a fast pentium 3 maschine for a card that i bought sold as 'GF2 mx' that looked way more beefy than 'mx' and it turned out to be a working GF2Ultra 😀.

I'm more trying to build good and interesting systems from every Generation between Pentium mmx and P4. So basically I see only 1 solution. I simply use the soyo board for a Pentium mmx pc.

1) Pentium mmx pc with a TNT, voodoo 1 and isa sound for DOS. Do you have a recommendation for a isa sound card that ticks most boxes?
2) K6 with Mystique and V2 sli for the fun of a interesting system

Reply 5 of 18, by Doornkaat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Williwinner wrote on 2020-06-02, 20:48:

And yes besides the Pentium2/Voodoo3 i also have plans for a fast pentium 3 maschine for a card that i bought sold as 'GF2 mx' that looked way more beefy than 'mx' and it turned out to be a working GF2Ultra 😀.

Aaah! That was like one or two weeks ago, right? I messaged the dude too but he already had a better offer.
Glad to see it didn't wind up with a scalper but someone who appreciates it! 😄👍

Reply 6 of 18, by Williwinner

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Doornkaat wrote on 2020-06-03, 11:26:

Aaah! That was like one or two weeks ago, right? I messaged the dude too but he already had a better offer.

Yes, that was probably me (ebay Kleinanzeigen - Germany). Since he did not know what it was, and the good condition, I was thinking about sending him a little more after checking the card.

But I couldn't find a single listing for a GF2 Ultra (a saw some GF2 Ti for around 40-60€).

Do you know what it is worth?

Reply 7 of 18, by Doornkaat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Williwinner wrote on 2020-06-03, 12:08:
Yes, that was probably me (ebay Kleinanzeigen - Germany). Since he did not know what it was, and the good condition, I was think […]
Show full quote
Doornkaat wrote on 2020-06-03, 11:26:

Yes, that was probably me (ebay Kleinanzeigen - Germany). Since he did not know what it was, and the good condition, I was thinking about sending him a little more after checking the card.

But I couldn't find a single listing for a GF2 Ultra (a saw some GF2 Ti for around 40-60€).

Do you know what it is worth?

I'm not into discussing prices of retro hardware here, especially since there's high fluctuation and a huge difference between countries.
But I will tell you that much:
-He told me how much you paid and I passed multiple chances buying the card at that price over the last years. The one I have I bought for less than half of what you paid.
-Auction prices fluctuate a lot and buying from ebay auctions is different than local classifieds (like Ebay Kleinanzeigen). What you paid is on the lower end of the auction price spectrum. It's a good deal but you ceratinly didn't rip him off.
-He sold locally, international auctions tend to go higher since elsewhere prices are often higher and a larger crowd is bidding so you will have people trying to outbid each other more often.
-40-60€ for a Gf2Ti is way overpriced in Germany. That's asking price for avaliable buy it now items, it's not the current sale price. In German classifieds you can regularly buy them for <10€.
It's very nice of you to consider sending him more money but he didn't get a bad price for German standards. I suggest you be happy you made a good deal and invest the money into a better aftermarket cooler to keep the card alive for long. 😉

Reply 8 of 18, by Williwinner

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Great. Because i am indeed very happy with the gf2 ultra.

So new plan for the pc's and a question on the second pc regarding mixing pci with agp:
1) AMD
CPU: K6-2 500 (later K6-3(+))
MB: Gigabyte Ga5ax 5.2
2D: Matrox Mystique 220 pci
3D: 2 x Voodoo 2 12mb sli (Gainward Dragon 3000)
Sound: Sound Blaster 128 pci (later maybe SB awe64 isa)

2) Intel
CPU: P mmx 233
MB: Soyo 5EMA+ 1.1
2D: S3 vision 968 pci (4mb)
3D: Voodoo Banshee AGP
Sound: SB AWE64 isa

Will the S3 pci work fine with the Voodoo banshee agp that i have?

I could also go:
a) Banshee agp alone
b) S3 vision pci + Voodoo 1

Reply 9 of 18, by Doornkaat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The V2 SLI duo (envious of your 2 Gainward Dragon 3000 btw. - I only have one 😉 ) will be bottlenecked by the K6-2 500. They will also be bottlenecked by a K6-III(+).
I would personally
1. pair the Banshee with the K6-2 for a very authentic affordable '99 gaming rig, (K6-III and Voodoo3 2000 AGP as future upgrade options)
2. use the S3 or Matrox card + Voodoo1 with the P1 MMX for a great DOS machine,
3. put the Voodoo2 SLI cards into that PIII rig you're planning to accompany the GF2U in Glide titles for a good performance Win9x PC.

Reply 10 of 18, by Williwinner

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

True that a k6-2 + banshee would be great. But i don't really like the idea of putting the V2 s in a much faster machine.
- looking at the V2-scaling results from phils computerlab i see very litte or no scaling from a faster cpu than a fast k6. Especially @ 1024:768. Unreal beeing the only exception with very good scaling beyond a k6 (but also esp. In 80p:600).

-Also I don't really like the idea of putting two voodoo 2 cards next to a fast geforce. They would be downgraded to be 'the slow mo guys' instead of the coolest part of a system. 😁

Reply 11 of 18, by Doornkaat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Keep in mind the selection of games used in that performance scaling project. There's a discussion on low performance in Half Life with weaker CPUs here where a member has a Voodoo3 2000 PCI (performs very similar to V2 12MB in SLI) and experiences regular drops below 20fps with his K6-III+@600MHz. I wouldn't be surprised if there were other games showing similar behaviour.

Also Voodoo 2 12MB SLI is the premium offering of 1998 while the AMD K6(-2+/-III+/whatever) has always been a more budget oriented offering or an upgrade for an aging system. Personally I don't think an SLI combo fits that. Imagine coming to a LAN party with a Pentium III 750 system, GeForce 256 and Voodoo 2 12MB SLI in fall '99. Imagine the bragging rights! 😁 To me that's what Voodoo 2 SLI is about: It's the no compromise brute force approach that made your 3D solution compete with the next generation of graphics cards.

I do however understand you want to have the SLI cards and the GF2U in seperate systems so they don't outshine each other. But then again in 2000 just like 1999 your PC bragging rights increased with each PCI slot filled. 😉

Anyway, this is all personal opinion and not me telling you what to build. I'm very much looking forward to seeing your finished builds. 👍

Reply 12 of 18, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Banshee has pretty good 2D already, why you adding the S3? Would give 2 screen support in Win9x if you wanted that.

The 233 has high end dos PC written all over it.
It's a hard call but I'd probably go with the less common Banshee and switch to a the S3 + V1 if i hit any compatibility issues

Reply 13 of 18, by Williwinner

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks for the replies and good suggestions! I'm very addicted to a certain very very stupid idea 😁

My idea is to have some kind of a functional hardware museum. I'm planning several systems with the main goal of having one system for every main plattform with interesting hardware (GPU mainly) from around Pentium mmx to Pentium 4 and the AMD counterparts for a comparison. And yes, i know this is going to be a loooong journey.

That leaves me with something like the following systems. So even if the V2 would fit better in a P2 or P3, those systems should contain a V3/GF2 etc. Maybe I am missing something. Suggestions are as always very welcome! I couldn't find a solution to fit a TNT2 or my Radeon ddr 64mb.

1a) P1 mmx 233 + 2D Card + V1
1b) ?? no match in mind yet. Suggestions welcome (maybe cyrix and Banshee or TNT (Viper V550 rev.F)

2a) K6-3, early 3D-Card + V2 SLI
2b) P2 450 + V3

3a) K7 ddr >1000 (T-Bird?) + Kyro II
3b) P3 ddr >1000 (Tualatin?)+ GF2 Ultra

4a) K7 ddr >2500 (Barton?)+ Radeon 8500 (or R9800...)
4b) P4 rdram >2500 (maybe Northwood 3.06 HT?) + GF3 (or GF4)

Last edited by Stiletto on 2020-06-06, 06:31. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 18 of 18, by Williwinner

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Doornkaat wrote on 2020-06-05, 10:46:

Also Voodoo 2 12MB SLI is the premium offering of 1998 while the AMD K6(-2+/-III+/whatever) has always been a more budget oriented offering or an upgrade for an aging system.

chinny22 wrote on 2020-06-02, 14:36:

Depending on which Win9x games you intend for this PC I'd maybe pair the Voodoo's with a Nividia card for stronger D3d support and still has good dos compatibility.
The Matrox will be more fun in dos as you can mess round with the few 3D titles that support the MSI API

You're both right, thank you. The reason my planning was not perfect ist that i used my V3 on a P2 350 back then. So let's put those feelings aside and make things right.

(Possible later upgradepath)

DOS machines (&Win95)
1a) P1 mmx 233 + S3 Vision 968 + V1
1b) Cyrix 433 + S3 Savage 4 32mb (K6-2 500, 1xV2)

DOS/WIN98 machines
2a) K6-2 500 + Voodoo 3 3000 (K6-3)
2b) P2 450 + g400 (max if i can find one)+ V2 sli

Win98 Performance
3a) K7 1400 + Kyro II 64mb (Voodoo 5 )
3b) PIII-s 1400 + GF2 Ultra

Underdog
3c) Via C3 1200 + Radeon ddr 64mb

I m gonna start working on the p2 and k6 System soon.