VOGONS

Back to retro

Topic actions

First post, by esbardu

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi all,

in 2016 I checked all my all stuff and was able to recover some rigs. But when I was setting up the "ultimate" Pentium MMX 233 in a Super socket 7 motherboard I burnt the motherboard (it had a K6-2 400),the P233 MXX and a Sound Blaster 16 ISA. The frustration made me pack everything back to the boxroom, and I have to say I got rid of two cases (an unforgivable error).

Now having some many hours at home and inspired by Philscomputer I decided to check again what I have. This is the list:

CRT: LG 701S 17"

Working PCs
- 486 DX2 66Mhz, AZZA Motherboard, 24Mb with VL-Bus cards , Sound Blaster Pro 1.0. Fully working with MS-DOS 6.22 and Windows 3.1. Nothing else to do here.
- Pentium 166 MX 48MB, Amptron PM-xxxxx: NVIDIA Riva 128, Yamaha Audician 32 Plus (I had this card but realize it was good thanks to Philscomputer).
- Pentium 120, Octek RHINO 6VX. project in process. The power supply has just burnt, I have an old ATX waiting for the adapter. I will use a S3 Virge DX and an ALS120 for Sound
- Athlon XP: again this projects was done inspired by Philcomputers. I had an Athlon XP 2000+ back in the days. It has two HDD, 80Gb for Windows 98SE and 250Gb for Windows XP. GPU is a FX5200, for Sound I have chosen the Sound Blaster 5.1 Live. I have an Audigy 2 ZS but I wanted a pure DOS experience. This is the rig I will really use.

Other components:
I though that my P2 and P3 motherboards were dead but I was wrong, I have:
- Pentium II 333Mhz , QDI Legend V
- Pentium III 500Mhz, GA 6BXE
I don't have a lot of RAM for these two, many modules are faulty but I have managed to save 128Mb for each one.

I need to decide what to do with these two, I only have one additional available ATX case. I think that I will go for the Pentium 3 500 with a Geforce 2 MX200 64MB and a Sound Blaster 128 PCI (is it any good for DOS?), unless I find a lost ISA sound card.

The rest of the parts that I have tested are:
P4 3,2Ghz GA-8S648FXM2 with 512Mb. I have though about using this one instead of Athlon XP. I prefer the Athlon because it's like the computer that I had and is indeed installed in the ATX case that I used at the beginning of 2000s.
Graphic Cards:
- PCI: S3 Trio 64 2Mb, S3 TRIO 64V+ 1Mb.
- AGP: Intel 740, S3 TRIO 3D. ATI RAGE PRO TURBO AGP, Riva TNT2 m64 32MB.
HDDs: many are faulty, I'm waiting for two Compact Flash adaptors and will buy a SATA to PATA to use some spare SATA disks.

Would you set up an Slot 1 rig?, if so, the P2 or the P3. Does anybody considered that going for the P4 would be better than sticking to my old Ahtlon XP?

Great to be back at the forum.

Reply 1 of 3, by kolderman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

P4/Athlon XP are much of a muchness. XP gives you uAGP on KT333 boards meaning you can run Voodoo3/5s on them. P4s are usually cheaper to put together overall. You probably want a GPU more powerful than an aweful FX5200 though.

You already have a Pentium MMX for some DOS games, but I would try and use a Via C3 in anything with socket370/slot1 (with an adapter). I don't see much point to a P2/P3 if you are running a Athlon XP 2000+ for example. The C3 will give you different slow-down options compared to a MMX.

Reply 2 of 3, by esbardu

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
kolderman wrote on 2020-06-08, 09:02:

P4/Athlon XP are much of a muchness. XP gives you uAGP on KT333 boards meaning you can run Voodoo3/5s on them. P4s are usually cheaper to put together overall. You probably want a GPU more powerful than an aweful FX5200 though.

You already have a Pentium MMX for some DOS games, but I would try and use a Via C3 in anything with socket370/slot1 (with an adapter). I don't see much point to a P2/P3 if you are running a Athlon XP 2000+ for example. The C3 will give you different slow-down options compared to a MMX.

Thanks, I have a socket370 to slot1 adapter, it has got a P3 500Mhz, the P3 in the motherboard right now is an slot1 cpu. I would need to test the adapter.

Pentium MMX is fine, it even has USB ports. My target is mainly DOS and Windows 9x games. Nothing really demanding but I have decided to keep only one of these retrorigs at home therefore I need to choose the most versatile build.