Reply 40 of 45, by ATauenis

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Nick4 wrote on 2020-06-26, 16:12:
Here is my MB layout: https://i.imgur.com/XJCpfPvl.jpg […]
Show full quote
ATauenis wrote on 2020-06-22, 09:56:

Some Socket 7 boards allowing using FSB or multiplier jumpers' pins as Turbo button pins. So the button can be connected instead of those jumpers and it will work.

Here is my MB layout:
XJCpfPvl.jpg

I don`t see how to connect it...

Connect to FS0...FS2 or BF0...BF2. Depending on what you want to change on fly and the jumper position table. Some MMX CPUs have locked multipler, so can't be over-/down-clocked via it, only FSB clock can be used with them. But some have it unlocked, so an overclocking is possible for them.

Unlocked MMX-200 processors can work from 133 to 233-250 MHz clocks. Locked ones have less clocks, 200-225MHz on most of i430TX boards.

2×Soviet ZX-Speccy, 1×MacIIsi, 1×086, 1×286, 2×386DX, 1×386SX, 2×486, 1×P54C, 7×P55C, 6×Slot1, 4×S370, 1×SlotA, 2×S462, ∞×Modern.

Reply 41 of 45, by Nick4

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thoughts about perfect monitor again.

Now I have an option to buy a new in box 17" CRT Samsung SyncMaster 783DF for a reasonable price. Still do not have a permanent place for such setup, but I can keep it for the future.
mtAvuu2.jpg

Can`t find much info about it, but i think it is 2003-2005, still not period correct for my build but it is new CRT that looks good. What do you think guys, is it worth it?

Reply 42 of 45, by foil_fresh

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

if the price is right that flatscreen is going to be amazing

Pentium MMX 166MHz / Shuttle HOT591-p / S3 Virge DX / SB 16
Pentium II 266MHz / Lucky-Star 6ABX2V / Riva128 / AWE64 / AW744L
Pentium III 950 MHz / SY-7VBA / Voodoo 3000 / Aureal Vortex 2
Pentium IV 3.4GHz/ GA-8S655FX / Geforce 6800 GT / Audigy

Reply 43 of 45, by pentiumspeed

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

This one is good model. I had beige samsung flat screen 15" model and lasted awhile but eventually degraded by 5 years but keep in mind by now their CRT life went downhill. PS: if one found a silver bezel with black housing monitors they are no good even new.

How I know this detailed knowledge, I used to work for electronic repair shop and we were authorized to repair their Samsung stuff.

Cheers,

Great Northern aka Canada.

Reply 44 of 45, by Nick4

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
pentiumspeed wrote on 2020-07-08, 18:42:

This one is good model. I had beige samsung flat screen 15" model and lasted awhile but eventually degraded by 5 years but keep in mind by now their CRT life went downhill. PS: if one found a silver bezel with black housing monitors they are no good even new.

How I know this detailed knowledge, I used to work for electronic repair shop and we were authorized to repair their Samsung stuff.

Cheers,

Thank you! I think I`ll get it. This one is beige model.
I know there were silver/black modification but I thought that difference only in color?

Reply 45 of 45, by pentiumspeed

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Get yours anyway and keep brightness down while easily visible.

silver/black models has 2 issues and they were all gone by then since they were manufactured between late 2003-2005.

15" had CRT cathode drivers in one IC improperly grounded (actually the manufacturer of that IC did not design this correctly, not samsung's), there was recall for was modification (adding jumper to PCB, but not to the IC itself) but didn't work, but I figured out the source was adhesive gum caused ground loops; metal tape with adhesive. Remove the IC and peel back the tape that is on back of the IC that is in contact with heatsink, using acetone, remove the adhesive gum completely from IC and tape, apply thermal paste fold the foil back on and put spring lock washers under two screws each completes the modification. symptom is: brown lines across image and very intermittent.

I think one of 2 ground pins is connected via die bond wire is not equal in grounding resistance in that IC, the true ground was the tab thermal metal of driver IC due to unique design of samsung, it was the metal foil adhered to this and folded over the front of IC package as well to save on thermal paste and speed up manufacturing.

19" CRT cathode premature wear out (green fading out), causing purple tint within warranty period. I didn't bother with them and just exchanged them with Samsung. When they went out of warranty, advise junk them.

Cheers,

Great Northern aka Canada.