First post, by zPacKRat
Well completing this project went far beyond what I thought it would be. I started out wanting to rebuild my old K6 system about 6-7 weeks ago and work through issues that have plagued me in the past when I was short on time and patience with this setup. In the end while frustrating, trying to get that old system running well was a bit of fun and a great distraction in these times.
This started out as:
1. FIC PA-2013 v2
2. K6-3+ 450
3. 2x64MB PC100
4. Creative TNT Blaster
These are the key components that I could not get consistently stable, all of this except the k6-3+ were part of my first build 20+ years ago, at the time it was a k6-2 300 which I no longer have as I de-lidded it out of curiosity some years ago, I also gave away my CT6670 CL V2 many years ago. I could shut this config down at night while it was running fine, and the next morning it was a like Betty White needing a Snickers. Needless to say after about a month I shelved this project for the next evolution, similar but better than the upgrade to this system some 20 years ago which started out as a BH-6 and a Celeron 300a and saw a few upgrades along the way.
What started out as a cheap project turned into me buying the following:
1. Abit BE6-II v2
2. PIII 800
3. Slocket adapter for the PIII 800
4. Golden Orb cpu cooler (later revision that snapped on, not twisted like the OG)
5. Creative TNT2 Pro (purchased to validate the TNT above was good/bad on the K6 build) overclocked from 125/150 to 160/170 via bios flash.
6. 2 x Matching STB Voodoo 2's with Tennmax coolers and 100mhz ram (initially bought a single rev c with 90Mhz ram even though it was advertised as 100 this was tested and works fine and will be re-sold) Picked these up on a WTB post over at the [H] and I have to say that I am really appreciative of being able to deal with established members without the Ebay BS on something like this.
7. Logitech Mouseman Wheel OG PS2 version.
8. Beige NOS IBM keyboard (purchased, but still in transit)
8. and a Beige FDD
The remainder of the build is based on the following parts I already had:
1. InWin A500 case (this was purchased new as part of my 1st build).
2. PowerMax 235 Watt PSU MFG by FSP (came with InWin case) and tests out fine at the 20 pin, as expected from a PSU of the era it's a little weak on the 12V rail coming in at about 11.8.
3. AWE64 (CT4520)
4. 3com 3c905b-tx
5. 2 x 80GB WD HDDs (one in a removable caddy)
6. LG DVD drive
7. 1x256MB and 1x128MB PC133
Things I would like to find:
1. Cambridge Soundworks PCworks 2.1 (handed these down to my ex and she tossed em.)
2. 17-19" CRT (not absolute on this right now simply due to the space it would consume)
I wanted to pay particular attention to the cabling including routing, even though there is no window, my ocd knows what's inside so it has to be as neat and functional as can be. Let loose the cable origami!