Amstrad Mega PC

Topic actions

Reply 80 of 86, by Zalog

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
keropi wrote on 2020-09-09, 12:50:

quite a bit cheaper I must add, no DHL shipping and no DHL import fees on top

Yes just found a local supplier - no shipping or import fees is a big bonus and does save a significant amount - I think I now know what I want for Christmas................ 😉

Reply 81 of 86, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Jo22 wrote on 2020-09-09, 13:09:
I've got one of these flash carts (no name), too. Just recently, I was able to run some SMS games on it when inserting the casse […]
Show full quote

I've got one of these flash carts (no name), too.
Just recently, I was able to run some SMS games on it when inserting the cassette in a Model 1..
This makes me wonder - does the Mega PC still allow the Z80 CPU to be the primary processor?
I don't mean to start an off-topic discussion, I'm simply curious. 😅
- Because some later Mega Drive units from TecToy didn't allow this anymore. Or so I heard. Phantasy Star 1 for Genesis was essentially the Master System game (with a built-in adapter) also.

here is the answer 😁

YO0nbvRl.png

@Zalog
the everdrive is also on my list, I have the very first mega-everdrive and it's been great from the start

🎵Link to buy a PCMIDI mpu
🎧Orpheus soundcard project
💻WTB Amstrad PC7486SLC-33 system

Reply 82 of 86, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Thank you! 😎

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 83 of 86, by phipscube

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I've decided to try to get my Mega PC shipped from UK to me in Denmark, its highly unlikely I will be travelling back in October to pick it up.

I have 16MB of RAM ready to put in it and i've got some VRAM on the way. I also just bought a Ben Q BL702A monitor!

@Zalog, I noticed you have an Amstrad badge on your monitor... I had the same thought for mine so wondered where you found it? I've been looking on ebay etc for replica badges but haven't had much luck.. I'm considering spray painting the screen to match the Mega PC colour too.. I noticed a thread on here with details on how to do this: Best off the shelf spray paint for beige computer cases

@keropi, I've been thinking about how to make a clip on CPU that can be used to upgrade the standard Mega PC board with one of the many Ti 486sxlc2 50 CPUs floating around at the moment... and maybe even figure out how to put some L2 cache on it. Also, having a fly lead that could clip on or sit between an upgraded BIOS for the gate A20 patch.. I see you said you are waiting for some 486slc CPUs and wonder if you are having similar ideas? 😀

I was also thinking about your special card for Mega PC, and have a little request 😀 .. Is it possible to add a scanline mode for the megadrive output?

Reply 84 of 86, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Hi! I've seen these TI CPUs on several websites, too..
However, better be careful:

"G chips are 3.3 with 5v I/O.
0 designation chips are 5v.

So:
G50 = 3.3v
050 = 5v

Do not make the same mistake as me.
Requires a 50MHz bus to run at full speed.
"

Source: http://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/80386/Texas%20I … LC2-G50-PQ.html

That being said,

Good luck! 😀

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 85 of 86, by phipscube

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Jo22 wrote on 2020-09-18, 07:47:
Hi! I've seen these TI CPUs on several websites, too.. However, better be careful: […]
Show full quote

Hi! I've seen these TI CPUs on several websites, too..
However, better be careful:

"G chips are 3.3 with 5v I/O.
0 designation chips are 5v.

So:
G50 = 3.3v
050 = 5v

Do not make the same mistake as me.
Requires a 50MHz bus to run at full speed.
"

Source: http://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/80386/Texas%20I … LC2-G50-PQ.html

That being said,

Good luck! 😀

Yes the G50 that can be found everywhere are only 5V I/O compatible... but I thought how some of the later clip on 486slc upgrades used 3.3V (5V I/O) CPUs with a regulator onboard.. this could be added to a new designed clip on board too..

I thought they ran on 25MHz bus and internally doubled to 50MHz?

There was an SXLC2 G66 made also that would require the 25MHz osc to be replaced with a 33MHz one, not a massive problem, but up to now i've not found any for sale anywhere..

Reply 86 of 86, by smsdave

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

@keropi
I've been watching the Orpheus posts on the main thread with interest. I'm a bit of a newbie to soundcards from this era, I'm no audiophile but I would like to get sound effects for DOS games from my Mega PC. Two questions:
1) I've noted a few comments around about a MegaPC-specific card you have in mind, is that a different product you're planning in the next 6-12 months or so or does it just refer to the Orpheus as it stands?
2) While I can see there’s a lot of excitement around the Orpheus from those in the know, especially those wanting the PCMIDI features, are there features/benefits I’m likely to miss for my basic needs in the base model Orpheus compared to a second hand AWE64 soundblaster off ebay for £30-50 (e.g. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Creative-Labs-Soun … rd/154088658502 )? I don’t want to deprive someone who would appreciate it more if it’s overkill for me.

On other topics…

Those of you looking at Krikzz everdrives, I’ve got several (for different systems); at this point in the year it’s worth holding on for Black Friday as he usually discounts a worthwhile amount then.

I’ve got some 8bitdo megadrive wireless controllers (https://www.8bitdo.com/retro-receiver-genesis-mega-drive/) for other devices but the dongles are too wide to fit into the hole around the recessed controller ports on the MegaPC. Does anyone have any bright ideas of adapters or similar I could use to extend the ports out somehow?

One thing, I managed to accidentally over order on VRAM so I’ve 6 chips going spare at cost if anyone’s in need in future.

@phipscube
I love the idea of spraying the benq monitor beige; will look forward to seeing photos of your results! I too am interested in a clip on CPU upgrade but haven’t seen anything for sale that looks like the easy upgrade I’m looking for.