VOGONS

Reply 20 of 27, by Warlord

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

solid build. not super expensive but super compatible. I played through FFVII on a similar rig and it was better than playstation. A yamaha XG also sounds proper in FVII talking the real card not the soft synth.

Reply 21 of 27, by Pierre32

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Really neat build, excellent component selection and great use of various utils to cater to various eras. This build pretty well covers everything that I need 3 different machines to do 😁

Reply 22 of 27, by Joseph_Joestar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Cheers guys!

I completely forgot that XG music in FF7 is also supported on a hardware level. I'll test that out with my YMF724 card when I get back to the game.

Using Audigy drivers with a Sound Blaster Live
Installing DOS drivers on an Audigy2 ZS
OPL3 vs. ESFM vs. CQM vs. SBLive
OPTi 82C930 review

Reply 23 of 27, by foil_fresh

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Nice build. I have something fairly similar, P2 266 (waiting on a 400mhz to arrive in the post), v3 3000, awe64 value & ymf744.

I am using an early asus p2b revision after trying a lucky star 440bx mobo which has sb link (my p2b does not). I had major problems getting the lucky star working with a ymf724 (simply would not recognise sblink in setupds) and a slew of other stability issues.

It's my "kinda fast dos glide pc with a few midi options and sb16/real opl3 support" pc. Built it for Tomb raider, Screamer 2, Descent 1 and more I've yet to discover. I definitely gotta try final fantasy for the XG music even tho im not really into the genre. Are you aware of any other games that use XG? Cheers

Reply 24 of 27, by Joseph_Joestar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
foil_fresh wrote on 2021-01-12, 15:30:

Nice build. I have something fairly similar, P2 266 (waiting on a 400mhz to arrive in the post), v3 3000, awe64 value & ymf744.

Cheers! Does your Yamaha card have SPDIF out by any chance? Mine doesn't, and that's my only pet peeve with it.

I definitely gotta try final fantasy for the XG music even tho im not really into the genre.

Just fired it up for a test and it sounds really nice. For comparison purposes, I'm attaching the same clip from Sephiroth's theme recorded on my YMF724 using the XG MIDI option. No vocals that way of course, but the instruments sound a bit cleaner to me than with the AWE64 soundfont.

Filename
FF7_YMF724_XG.mp3
File size
783.77 KiB
Downloads
1 download
File comment
Sephiroth's Theme - Yamaha XG MIDI
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Are you aware of any other games that use XG? Cheers

Some late-era DOS games which use the Miles Sound System have it as a setup option. I just tried it with Heroes of Might and Magic 2 and it works great. That said, Heroes 2 also has CD audio music which is my preferred way to play it.

Heroes2_XG.png
Filename
Heroes2_XG.png
File size
10.74 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Using Audigy drivers with a Sound Blaster Live
Installing DOS drivers on an Audigy2 ZS
OPL3 vs. ESFM vs. CQM vs. SBLive
OPTi 82C930 review

Reply 25 of 27, by Pierre32

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Good info about the Miles Sound System. I've got a YMF744 card in my PIII Win98 build, but I haven't really explored the topic of explicit XG support in games. Something to look into:

https://www.mobygames.com/game-group/sound-en … es-sound-system

Reply 26 of 27, by foil_fresh

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Joseph_Joestar wrote on 2021-01-12, 18:27:

Cheers! Does your Yamaha card have SPDIF out by any chance?

No spdif unfortunately but it has barely any noise on the line out so I am not too bothered. I wonder if a solder modded spdif is possible using one of those asus spdif brackets?

Reply 27 of 27, by foil_fresh

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Pierre32 wrote on 2021-01-12, 20:46:

Good info about the Miles Sound System. I've got a YMF744 card in my PIII Win98 build, but I haven't really explored the topic of explicit XG support in games. Something to look into:

https://www.mobygames.com/game-group/sound-en … es-sound-system

Awesome, I will have a dig into a few games 😀