VOGONS

First post, by SilverHawk

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Here is a little gem that I actually purchased new. I worked at a big box store and somebody returned this after yanking the CPU, memory and hard drive. I was able to purchase the shell with the add-on cards. HP was gracious enough to provide me with a restore CD, which I have since lost, and I upgraded at some point to Win98 and gave it to my parents to use. Over the years I handed down many machines to them and reclaimed most of them over time. The original keyboard/mouse and the back cover of the case are missing now as well, but she has some new life. Including a "new" used replacement CDRom and much more...

HP Pavlion 7410P
Intel HX chipset motherboard
Intel Pentium 200MMX
128MB of EDO memory
Onboard S3Virge
A pair of STB Blackmagic Voodoo 2s
Yamaha OPL3-SAx
Seagate Medalist 6541 hard drive

Back in the day, I overlooked this little gem and preferred my rig with the Shuttle Hot569 TX based board.

Attachments

• IMG_3867.JPG
    Filename
    IMG_3867.JPG
    File size
    1.71 MiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • IMG_3868.JPG
    Filename
    IMG_3868.JPG
    File size
    1.59 MiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
Last edited by SilverHawk on 2020-08-25, 20:18. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 2 of 5, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
chrismeyer6 wrote on 2020-08-13, 21:37:

That's an interesting setup with the riser for the expansion cards.

Yeah, looks like the IBM Aptiva motherboard setup too. It has a funky slot connector to join the motherboard with the riser card.

I always wanted a Pavilion when I was younger but could not find the right one for me as I always used High end dual CPU workstations running WinNT and Dual 20” CRT’s

I finally purchased one a few years back. A Pentium III computer.

But I have always enjoyed HP computers from HP-9000 to Kayak workstations and Vectra’s.

Good reliable computers. We have basically grown up with HP devices.

Reply 4 of 5, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
gerry wrote on 2020-08-14, 08:47:

I zoomed in on the front label and compared it's spec with the 'now' spec. Ram was always at a premium back in the day:)

Yeah, my 486 computer has 20mb of ram and 256kb of cache too.

Attachments

Reply 5 of 5, by SilverHawk

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Intel486dx33 wrote on 2020-08-14, 10:53:
gerry wrote on 2020-08-14, 08:47:

I zoomed in on the front label and compared it's spec with the 'now' spec. Ram was always at a premium back in the day:)

Yeah, my 486 computer has 20mb of ram and 256kb of cache too.

I honestly never realized it could support more than 64MB until I recently discovered the HX chipset. Looking closer at the specs on the label I have managed to misplace the original speakers as well. I played around a little with GLquake on the box and it certainly appears that the Pentium 200 is holding back the SLI Voodoo2s a bit. I have a Pentium 233 I could drop in, but that riser card is a PITA. Not sure it would make much of a difference. I might simply have to find a better home for them. Maybe I can give the under appreciated Voodoo Rush a home.