VOGONS

First post, by Epirean

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

So I picked up two Compaq Presario systems and a crate full with retro stuff. I already have my ultimate retro gaming pc (Pentium 3 with Voodoo 4500) but spare parts are always great to have, so why not pick those Compaqs up. One of them was just an ordinairy Pentium 3 Presario, nothing special. The other one seemed like an ordinairy Pentium 1 system, but after inspection, I saw how special it was and decided to clean it up completely and keep it for myself.

It is a Compaq Presario 4122 pizza box system, with a Pentium 150 mhz CPU and 16 MB memory. However, it comes with an onboard S3 Virge graphics card that has expandable memory (it has 2 MB right now), and a built in ESS1888 soundcard with Soundblaster emulation, AND a Wavetable slot right on the motherboard! It also has 2 USB ports, which are not very common on Pentium 1 systems in my experience. I can also change the CPU speed to something below 100 mhz through jumpers on the board easily, which is awesome for some DOS games I have. What I also really love, is the Windows 3.1 style BIOS the system comes with, with a working mouse driver built in, so you can easily adjust the addresses of the soundcard for example. It also came with a Quantum Bigfoot 5.25 inch HDD which still works, although I disconnected it and built in a CF to IDE drive.

Also a curious detail, the pc has a official Compaq sticker with the serial number on the bottom, that also contains the logo of the Ministry of Transport of my country. Pretty cool! Compaq probably produced these units specifically for the government I think? It was loaded with a clean Windows 98 first edition installation, but it was really very slow. Right now I am in the progress of turning it into a Dos 6.22 machine, to check how the soundcard sounds in DOS games compared to my very noisy Soundblaster 16 and my very quiet Aztech Galaxy Soundblaster Pro 2.0 clone. I also understand that the S3 Virge is a 3D accelerator, is that right? I will look for games that support it soon.

I really love this machine, it is almost the perfect DOS machine for me, it just lacks a Voodoo graphics card (I love old Glide games), and the CMOS battery is I think soldered on, I am not sure, I wasn't able to get it moving, and the rest is just perfect. See attachments for some photos.

PS. It was a pain in the *ss to find the correct Diagnostics disks for the system, in order to restore the cool graphical BIOS partition on the machine (the BIOS is installed on the first 6 MB of the primary master drive). Is there a way to upload them to Vogons with the proper instructions on how to create the partition?

Attachments

• IMG_5172.JPEG
    Filename
    IMG_5172.JPEG
    File size
    1.14 MiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain
  • IMG_5171.JPEG
    Filename
    IMG_5171.JPEG
    File size
    907.61 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain
  • IMG_5212.JPEG
    Filename
    IMG_5212.JPEG
    File size
    524.27 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain
  • IMG_5182.JPEG
    Filename
    IMG_5182.JPEG
    File size
    834.1 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain
  • IMG_5149.JPEG
    Filename
    IMG_5149.JPEG
    File size
    577.3 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain

Reply 1 of 9, by melbar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Very nice pentium 150 system.

Epirean wrote on 2020-11-01, 16:28:

I also understand that the S3 Virge is a 3D accelerator, is that right? I will look for games that support it soon.

So it was soon nicknamed "3D decelerator".
"3D decelerator"
How does the Virge 325 profit from 4 MB of memory?

#1 K6-2/500, #2 Athlon1200, #3 Celeron1000A, #4 A64-3700, #5 P4HT-3200, #6 P4-2800, #7 Am486DX2-66

Reply 2 of 9, by Joseph_Joestar

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Epirean wrote on 2020-11-01, 16:28:

I also understand that the S3 Virge is a 3D accelerator, is that right? I will look for games that support it soon.

The S3 Virge is best used for playing 2D DOS games due to its excellent compatibility and speed in that mode.

As far as 3D acceleration goes, don't expect too much. Being able to play DOS games which support its proprietary S3D api is kinda neat though, if pretty slow. Check out this thread: 3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)

PC#1: Pentium MMX 166 / Soyo SY-5BT / S3 Trio64V+ / Voodoo1 / YMF719 / AWE64 Gold / SC-155
PC#2: AthlonXP 2100+ / ECS K7VTA3 / Voodoo3 / Audigy2 / Vortex2
PC#3: Athlon64 3400+ / Asus K8V-MX / 5900XT / Audigy2
PC#4: i5-3570K / MSI Z77A-G43 / GTX 970 / X-Fi

Reply 3 of 9, by Epirean

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks for the info on the graphics chip guys. Luckily I have my Pentium 3 with Voodoo card for 3D accelerated games, so I will keep this machine just for 2D games. Right now I am having an issue with the original 8 speed cd-rom drive not being recognized. I understand I need Windows to install the Dos drivers for the built in ESS1888 soundcard, so before I can check out how good (or bad) this card is, I need to fix the cd-rom drive and install Windows 3.1. It would be a bummer if the drive is broken, because it is the original one, and the machine is in such a good shape, would like to keep it this way.

Reply 5 of 9, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I don't think this can be considered a "pizza box". It looks pretty close to standard profile to me.

This is a pizza box:

http://www.computer-retro.de/Bilder/iMac/SO-A … -1990_thumb.jpg

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium

Reply 6 of 9, by jakethompson1

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Epirean wrote on 2020-11-01, 18:06:

Thanks for the info on the graphics chip guys. Luckily I have my Pentium 3 with Voodoo card for 3D accelerated games, so I will keep this machine just for 2D games. Right now I am having an issue with the original 8 speed cd-rom drive not being recognized. I understand I need Windows to install the Dos drivers for the built in ESS1888 soundcard, so before I can check out how good (or bad) this card is, I need to fix the cd-rom drive and install Windows 3.1. It would be a bummer if the drive is broken, because it is the original one, and the machine is in such a good shape, would like to keep it this way.

ESS made good cards. I don't know about the ES1888 but for the ES1688 and ES1868, you don't actually need Windows, you can just unzip the "Windows" driver and get ESSCFG.EXE out of it, and figure out what options you need to pass it, and put it in autoexec.bat. Or, if assuming you have a Plug n Play BIOS, you may not actually need a DOS driver if you can guess what to put in SET BLASTER=.

You going for Windows 3.1 or Windows for Workgroups 3.11? The latter would have been more popular once the early Pentiums came out.

Reply 7 of 9, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Not sure what I think about the case design with the bulge and buttons above the CD drive, I don't hate it, not sure I like it but its definitely interesting.
Agree dos/Win3x is much better match, simply basically it matches BIOS. I also thought this was really cool when I first came across it.

But agree the CPU, Video, Sound cards all make for a very nice DOS rig.
And the S3D games are entertaining to mess around with even if the benefit is debatable. It's like MIDI devices, sometimes its just fun to have something different.

Reply 8 of 9, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Pretty sure I have a motherboard for one of these.

Would love to have the diag disks and instructions to restore.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK