VOGONS

First post, by SVD

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

So I have accumulated parts for this build for quite some time
I want a retro build that can do it all, and hopefully as good as possible, as far as I am able to push it 😋

I would like input on this, what are your views on this, I am still not really an oracle when it comes to retro builds.

The OS will be Windows 98SE. Possibly dualboot with something else, but only if necessary.

Proposed hardware spec as of today:

Mb: Soyo SY-6VBA133
CPU: VIA nehemiah 1.2ghz hope to clock to 1.5 ghz at least.
GPU: Voodoo 5 5500. Any point in voodoo 2 with this for added compatibility?
RAM: 2x 256mb 133mhz CL2
Sound card1: Terratec EWS 64 XL
Soundcard2: Soundblaster audigy 2 zs
Soundcard3: Soundblaster 2 pro or AWE 64 gold. I have not decided. Thinking going for the pro 2.
SCSI controller card
SCSI IBM hardrive
Case: Chieftec Dragon full tower

IO front panel:
Ls120 drive
5,25" HD Panasonic JU-475.
EWS 64 IO panel
Scsi CD/DVD rom
DAT drive
Maybe a DLT drive for added weight 😅
External ZIP and JAZ drives

Dell P992 Trinitron 19"
IBM model M
Mouse undecided
ROLAND RA-50
ROLAND sc-88VL

I know some dont like VIA chipsets, but this is the most reasonable mainboard I could find for this build. It got correct AGP divider at 133fsb and have a generous amount of FSBs to choose from. Over and undervolt of the CPU, 2 ISA slots. Hopefully support for VIA nehemiah. The twin sister of this board with the 440bx chipset at least have. So we will see 😅

Attachments

Reply 2 of 24, by SVD

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thanks 😀

A little bump in the road tough. The MS6905 slotket seems to be faulty. The PSU goes into protection mode when i try the slotket. Works fine with a regular slot pentium III. It does not matter the type of CPU i put in the slotket.
I measured a short over the three 100uf caps in a line. I removed them, but there is still a short there. If its supposed to be a short there would not be any caps there would it?

Reply 4 of 24, by SVD

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

It seems it would not work anyway. It is the V1.1 so it does not support coppermine, and it needs to for the VIA. But it should work with the Celeron 433 that i also tried.

Attachments

Reply 5 of 24, by Bancho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Very very similar to my build!

Mine is based around a Gigabyte GA-BX6C on a 2.0 MSI slocket. The gigabyte board is great because you can use SoftUSB using Rayers usb program and combined with kalohimal's CPUSPD tool makes it quite flexible. I haven't gone through mapping the CPU fully yet mind.

I run mine with a V3 3000 and just recently added a Matrox M3D to the system

Sound wise i run a Awe32 with a Dreamblaster X2, Turtle Beach Maui and a Yamaha SW60XG.

They make for really great systems!

Reply 6 of 24, by PARKE

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

There were various revisions of the early MSI MS-6905 slotkets and some did not always act as they should when compared with the available info.
On this page a shortlist:
https://www.oocities.org/_lunchbox/ms6905_tualatin_mod.html

According to the above shortlist your MS-6905 V 1.1, revision A, should for example support Coppermines. It's a bit of a jungle it seems.

Reply 7 of 24, by SVD

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Bancho wrote on 2020-11-12, 13:02:
Very very similar to my build! […]
Show full quote

Very very similar to my build!

Mine is based around a Gigabyte GA-BX6C on a 2.0 MSI slocket. The gigabyte board is great because you can use SoftUSB using Rayers usb program and combined with kalohimal's CPUSPD tool makes it quite flexible. I haven't gone through mapping the CPU fully yet mind.

I run mine with a V3 3000 and just recently added a Matrox M3D to the system

Sound wise i run a Awe32 with a Dreamblaster X2, Turtle Beach Maui and a Yamaha SW60XG.

They make for really great systems!

Yeah i was wondering if i should go for a gigabyte card also, but i ended up bying that one. I recently got a Gigabyte GA-6BXE rev 2.0 in a big lot. But i am unsure if it support the VIA.

Anyone tested the slotkets marked 370CPU ? I am wondering if i should buy one of those, as they are awailable on ebay. They apparently support coppermine so i guess they would work?

Reply 8 of 24, by Bancho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I believe the Gigabyte BX Series of boards are all very similar, I use a Powerleap BIOS on mine for the VIA Support.

This is mine (The 1st pic was when I was originally using a GF2 before swapping to a V3)

HUTQtjll.jpg
7494ghRl.jpg

Reply 9 of 24, by PARKE

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
SVD wrote on 2020-11-14, 22:28:

Anyone tested the slotkets marked 370CPU ? I am wondering if i should buy one of those, as they are awailable on ebay. They apparently support coppermine so i guess they would work?

For a project like yours I would opt for a 'proven to work' brand slotket with a TI SN74TVC16222 voltage clamp for protection against overvoltage and jumpers for the 1.3v-2.05v VRM 8.4 voltage range.
No-name slotkets like that 370CPU do not offer any of that.

Reply 10 of 24, by SVD

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Bancho wrote on 2020-11-15, 12:02:
I believe the Gigabyte BX Series of boards are all very similar, I use a Powerleap BIOS on mine for the VIA Support. […]
Show full quote

I believe the Gigabyte BX Series of boards are all very similar, I use a Powerleap BIOS on mine for the VIA Support.

This is mine (The 1st pic was when I was originally using a GF2 before swapping to a V3)

HUTQtjll.jpg
7494ghRl.jpg

Nice setup 😀

Reply 11 of 24, by SVD

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
PARKE wrote on 2020-11-15, 13:36:
SVD wrote on 2020-11-14, 22:28:

For a project like yours I would opt for a 'proven to work' brand slotket with a TI SN74TVC16222 voltage clamp for protection against overvoltage and jumpers for the 1.3v-2.05v VRM 8.4 voltage range.
No-name slotkets like that 370CPU do not offer any of that.

Where would i find a slotket like that?

Reply 12 of 24, by PARKE

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

They pop up on Ebay every now and then. Some contenders in that class are:
Abit SlotKET III ver 1.1
Microstar MS-6905 Master ver 2 or ver 2.3
Asus S370-133 rev 1.02
Asus S370-DL rev 1.02

There is currently an Asus S370-DL rev 1.02 on offer but it is not cheap.

Reply 13 of 24, by kolderman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

If it can't slow down to play DOS games it can't do it all. I have a similar s370 board with a Via C3 1ghz in there, so it can go from late 80s DOS games through to about 1998.

> GPU: Voodoo 5 5500. Any point in voodoo 2 with this for added compatibility?

Voodoo2 SLI would probably be better. Not much point to voodoo5 apart from nostalgia. With voodoo2 you get excellent compat and the ability to combine it with a much, much more powerful (than v5) GPU, like a Geforce2 for example.

> Soundcard2: Soundblaster audigy 2 zs
> Soundcard3: Soundblaster 2 pro or AWE 64 gold. I have not decided. Thinking going for the pro 2.

That's more or less what I have in mine (zs+Awe64Gold). If you can get a ram pack for the awe64 it makes such a nice midi device.

Reply 14 of 24, by SVD

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
PARKE wrote on 2020-11-17, 06:55:
They pop up on Ebay every now and then. Some contenders in that class are: Abit SlotKET III ver 1.1 Microstar MS-6905 Master ver […]
Show full quote

They pop up on Ebay every now and then. Some contenders in that class are:
Abit SlotKET III ver 1.1
Microstar MS-6905 Master ver 2 or ver 2.3
Asus S370-133 rev 1.02
Asus S370-DL rev 1.02

There is currently an Asus S370-DL rev 1.02 on offer but it is not cheap.

Thanks a lot for that list, it helps a lot 😀
I did not think the Asus S370-DL rev 1.02 was much different from the rest there, the more you know ^^
I have a Gigabyte S370 BX board incomeing in the mail. Im thinking to maybe check if that works before i invest in that slotket, or make an offer on it.

Reply 15 of 24, by SVD

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
kolderman wrote on 2020-11-17, 08:16:
If it can't slow down to play DOS games it can't do it all. I have a similar s370 board with a Via C3 1ghz in there, so it can g […]
Show full quote

If it can't slow down to play DOS games it can't do it all. I have a similar s370 board with a Via C3 1ghz in there, so it can go from late 80s DOS games through to about 1998.

> GPU: Voodoo 5 5500. Any point in voodoo 2 with this for added compatibility?

Voodoo2 SLI would probably be better. Not much point to voodoo5 apart from nostalgia. With voodoo2 you get excellent compat and the ability to combine it with a much, much more powerful (than v5) GPU, like a Geforce2 for example.

> Soundcard2: Soundblaster audigy 2 zs
> Soundcard3: Soundblaster 2 pro or AWE 64 gold. I have not decided. Thinking going for the pro 2.

That's more or less what I have in mine (zs+Awe64Gold). If you can get a ram pack for the awe64 it makes such a nice midi device.

Yeah I know, how many of those games i will actually play is a different story, but at least I have the ability. Well an extra system that can. Its more an exercise than a necessity. The C3 should be excellent in that regard, if pared with the right board at least.

I have both Voodoo 5 and Voodoo 2 sli. (also V3 2000 PCI, V3 3000 AGP and Banshee) The V5 can force AA which the V2s cannot. I was thinking of maybe V5 + V2 SLI, but that might be a bit excessive x) Of course V2 sli plus one of my geforce cards could be a good option, but i was hopeing to use the V5 for something:P

Yeah the AWE 64 is nice (altough it cant load soundfonts in DOS, and it sounds awful with the integrated one) The EWS 64 XL is superior here in my mind when it comes to MIDI, so i was more thinking about the AWE 64 for adding reverb and so on. But that does leave me with 3 cards and no OPL3, so thats why I was thinking SB2 pro. But I also think the crystal chip in the EWS does it quite well, I am not one of the OPL purists.

Reply 16 of 24, by PARKE

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
SVD wrote on 2020-11-17, 10:52:

I did not think the Asus S370-DL rev 1.02 was much different from the rest there, the more you know ^^
I have a Gigabyte S370 BX board incomeing in the mail. Im thinking to maybe check if that works before i invest in that slotket, or make an offer on it.

I have not looked into all the slotkets that are on Ebay at the moment but this seems the only one with a T voltage clam. There are quite a few differences possible. Some of the others are early editions that only support Mendocino Celerons and some only support fsb 66/100 etc.

Reply 17 of 24, by SVD

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have a Gigabyte GA-6R7+ incoming in the mail now. So hope that solves the issues 😀

Attachments

• s-l1600 (1).jpg
    Filename
    s-l1600 (1).jpg
    File size
    311.5 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 18 of 24, by PARKE

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

At least it has a Cyrix 133 jumper socket - fingers crossed thus.

Came across this advertisement for new old stock MSI Master v2 slotkets last week:
https://classiccomputershop.eu/Webwinkel-Prod … II-PIII-P3.html

The shop owner is a Vogons member.