VOGONS

First post, by tabm0de

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

After been hoarding too much stuff, I decided to sell all computer parts that were just lying around which I haven't been using after purchasing and testing them.

With that funding, I decided to build myself a brand NEW 486 with dos/win 3.1, just to have some project to do under these times that we are having.

I am not going after that the need to be produced at a specific time window, as long they are compatible with the build and are NEW or NOS.

Parts that is needed:

[*] Crt monitor ( 486 can but should not be connected to a flatscreen! )
- New inbox ADI MicroScan V57, 15" 1280x1024 ( i also did purchases "Gateway 17" CRT Flatscreen Monitor VX765" https://www.ebay.com/itm/293808880831 which was in RMC youtube video, the reason for the purchases after the ADI is because the ebay seller got ahold of a new batch, also it don't really match the build since it is black hehe )
[*] AT computer case
- There isn't many brand new at cases to be found on ebay, so i went with the one that look nices and had the digital display which is a must for me, i do say i have feelt better quality of cases but this will do
[*] PSU (the only place where I draw a line to use a new-made atx PSU with atx to at adapter ( one with -5V )
- Temporary using a new Kolink SFX-450 / 450 Watt / 80+ Bronze with atx to at adapter, this one will be changed along the way since I want it modularly so I can have a short atx cable and skip the sata/pci-e connectors.
[*] Motherboard
- Found brand new UC 4913 boards with cache inbox ( yes bought two just to be sure ) which have two VLB, the good thing with those is they only support an external battery with a connector so I didn't need to be worried about any corrosion.
[*] CPU
- I am not sure yet what to use, i have unboxed ODPR dx2 66 or ODPR pentium 83 for socket 3.
[*] Memory
- Purchased 4x4MB new made 30pin memory from Tiido at Amibay a year ago that I never used until now 😀
[*] Video card
- Ordered a new oem Tseng Labs ET4000AX ISA, yes isa, new Tseng VLB is hard to find nor do I think it will be cheep if they do appear on ebay 😁
[*] Controller
- Bought some VLB from a site after seeing the VWestlife youtube video regarding $5 ISA graphics card
[*] Soundcard
- NOS oem Creative AWE 64 gold
[*] CD-rom
- NOS Nec CDR-C251 4x4 CD Changer
[*] Floppy
- New sony 3.5" drive, sadly white but i might just change the front if i found a good match. no need for 5.25" for now but i do have a slot to fill out..
[*] Harddrive
- Bulk of 5 41.1GB ide drives brand new from 2005, to much space which won't be used but at least its not ide to cf.
[*] Disk tray ( just for easy access to hard drive )
- Nothing special here just a cheap disk tray to be able o get out the disk without opening the case.
[ ] ... if i forget something

( this will problebly be edited 100 times 😉 )

Last edited by tabm0de on 2020-11-17, 14:09. Edited 2 times in total.

naa, nothing yet...

Reply 1 of 8, by tabm0de

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

[*] Crt monitor
NOS ADI MicroScan V57, 15" 1280x1024
opqIi3n_d.webp?maxwidth=460&fidelity=grand

[*] AT computer case
NOS - NoName
At5KduD_d.webp?maxwidth=460&fidelity=grand

[*] Motherboard
UC 4913
ENLVx1w_d.webp?maxwidth=460&fidelity=grand

[*] Memory
4x4MB new made 30pin memory from Tiido at Amibay
I3spvgI_d.webp?maxwidth=460&fidelity=grand

[*] CD-rom
NOS Nec CDR-C251 4x4 CD Changer
iGbGLmt_d.webp?maxwidth=460&fidelity=grand

[*] Soundcard
NOS oem Creative AWE 64 gold
G6I9X1Y.webp?maxwidth=460&fidelity=grand

[*] Disk tray
NOS - NoName
YYY1sEG_d.webp?maxwidth=460&fidelity=grand

Last edited by tabm0de on 2020-11-17, 14:49. Edited 1 time in total.

naa, nothing yet...

Reply 3 of 8, by LightStruk

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
tabm0de wrote on 2020-11-17, 12:41:
[…]
Show full quote
  • CPU
    - I am not sure yet what to use, i have unboxed ODPR dx2 66 or ODPR pentium 83 for socket 3.
  • Video card
    - Ordered a new oem Tseng Labs ET4000AX ISA, yes isa, new Tseng VLB is hard to find nor do I think it will be cheep if they do appear on ebay 😁
  • Floppy
    - New sony 3.5" drive, sadly white but i might just change the front if i found a good match. no need for 5.25" for now but i do have a slot to fill out..
  • Harddrive
    - Bulk of 5 41.1GB ide drives brand new from 2005, to much space which won't be used but at least its not ide to cf.
  • The Pentium OD 83 is far superior. The only reason to use the DX2-66 would be to deliberately make a period accurate machine for a very specific year, like 1993.
  • If you use an ISA video card, you're knee-capping this beautiful system. Why oh why would you do that to yourself. I understand you're looking for NOS parts, but a used motherboard with PCI slots instead of VLB would enable you to use extremely cheap PCI video cards, which would give you the pinnacle of 486-class performance.
  • Replacement floppy drive bezels are available online - at least to make the drive black or aluminum. I bet someone on these boards would be able to provide a beige bezel if that's what you need; especially if you make a post just for that.
  • If you're comfortable using a hard drive from 10 years after all of the other parts were made, why not make your life vastly easier and use a SD IDE adapter. More reliable, cheaper, and faster.
  • Don't you want a network card? If you're stuck with ISA and no PCI, you should consider a highly compatible card like a 3c509 (10baseT), 3c515 (10/100), AMD Lance / PCnet, or Intel EtherExpress. (VLB Ethernet cards are extremely rare.)

Reply 4 of 8, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Going from a 486dx2-66 to 486dx4-100 is not much of a performance gain.
Maybe 10% at best.

But going to an Intel pentium overdrive at 83 is a BIG performance gain over the 486dx4-100.

But then it’s NO longer a 486 computer.

So it depends on if you want a 486 computer or best DOS gaming computer in which case a Pentium MMX 233mhz computer would be better.

So for a 486 computer a 486dx2-66 or 486dx4-100 would be okay in DOS and Win3.11 but NOT for Win95 in which case a Pentium CPU is recommended.

Reply 5 of 8, by TheMobRules

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Intel486dx33 wrote on 2020-11-17, 16:00:
Going from a 486dx2-66 to 486dx4-100 is not much of a performance gain. Maybe 10% at best. […]
Show full quote

Going from a 486dx2-66 to 486dx4-100 is not much of a performance gain.
Maybe 10% at best.

But going to an Intel pentium overdrive at 83 is a BIG performance gain over the 486dx4-100.

But then it’s NO longer a 486 computer.

So it depends on if you want a 486 computer or best DOS gaming computer in which case a Pentium MMX 233mhz computer would be better.

So for a 486 computer a 486dx2-66 or 486dx4-100 would be okay in DOS and Win3.11 but NOT for Win95 in which case a Pentium CPU is recommended.

No, all of that is pretty much wrong and/or misleading. The jump from a DX2-66 to a DX4-100 is much more noticeable than the difference between a DX4 and the POD... only for stuff that benefits from the better NPU on the Pentium there would be a clear advantage for the POD (such as Quake), but those will pretty much suck on any 486 platform, even with an Overdrive.

A 486 will be fine for most games up to around 1995, the SVGA titles from the later DOS years are what benefit the most of using a Pentium CPU. So it really depends on what the OP is interested in.

And Win95 should be OK on a 486, unless you have a low amount of RAM, which is not a problem these days.

Reply 6 of 8, by tabm0de

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thanks the comments!
It is always nice to get input from others 😀

After considering I will probably be running the dx2 66, since I am after running slower dos/win 3.1 games on it and not games like Duke3d.

My other build will be a p2/3 which I will run dos/win95/98 games 2d/3d voodoo that requires better speed, i know it would be possible to use that computer for the same games that will run on the 486 computer but at the same time it is my first "own" build of a 486 and not a branded 486 purchases hehe

Regarding VLB i always been interested to see which dos games that do have the recommendation of cpu "dx2 66/ dx4 100" that would run smoother with a VLB vga card instead of a standard ISA card.
I would say i dont know much about VLB except i know it is faster the standard ISA.

Regarding not using CF is because of the nostalgic of hearing the sound of a hard drive spinning up and working 😀 i do run cf on other computer builds but there is something about hearing the sound of a drive, same goes for gotek floppy drives, there is no fun when you cant hear the "real" sound ( since i know there is a speaker mod ) of a floppy when it reads and writes 😀

naa, nothing yet...