VOGONS

First post, by candle_86

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

It's a little newer but it's my first dual CPU, thinking of running Windows XP pro x64 on it because why not or use Server 2k3 as the case the board came in has the License for it, decisions decisions

Dual Opteton 2431 6core 2.4ghz
16gb ddr2 ECC
Evga gtx 570
1050w super micro psu
Switch 810 case
SuperMicro H8DA3-2 Motherboard

IMG_20210419_193405.jpg
Filename
IMG_20210419_193405.jpg
File size
1.27 MiB
Views
File license
Public domain

So where do i take this, the case needs alot of work done, its a wreck, though it could be fixed up with some elbow grease and some mods, it also needs a new side panel window, and to be repainted. So toss me idea's, since I'm going by project 6x6 military comes to mind

Reply 1 of 11, by Woody72

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

How about strip the case bare and spray it a sort dark green, black and brown NATO camo with some fake code numbers stencilled onto it. Make it look like real military computer?

Modern PC: i7-9700KF, 16GB memory, RTX 3060. Proper PC: Pentium 200 MMX, 128MB EDO memory, GeForce2 MX(200).

Reply 2 of 11, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I wouldn't bother with XP x64. Driver support is pretty average which limits its gaming ability.
If your installing 2003 then x64 is definitely an option as your not gaming on it anyway and will give you a feel of the differences in XP x64 (slight Control Panel changes and I think 64bit IE form memory?)

but I wouldn't do either....
That board supports SLI, I would go crazy and have a dual CPU, dual GPU setup, maybe even setup HDD raid with dual HDD's?
And if you wanted to go all out you could go 2 OS's x32 XP and x64 Vista or 7. (as XP wont push this to it's limits)

Reply 4 of 11, by candle_86

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Woody72 wrote on 2021-04-20, 08:07:

How about strip the case bare and spray it a sort dark green, black and brown NATO camo with some fake code numbers stencilled onto it. Make it look like real military computer?

I was thinking of camo quite honestly, discussed it with my roommate and wife yesterday, so some idea's ive got.

Camo outside but leave it gunmetal inside, but clean it for sure
Paint PSU Olive Drab, and get some sort of military looking conduit to cover the power cables or buy a new PSU that has an 8pin+4pin for CPU power (never seen those before outside of a server PSU so I'll have to look)
Replace the side panel window as its cracked and broken with a custom cut glass window, won't be tempered as getting custom tempered is way outside of my price range, but normal glass should be fine
Hang up the forest camo netting inside the side panel window, I'd want it to look right but not complete block the view, but gives it military vibes
I also need to replace the front I/O as its broken on here, but the case uses a 5 1/4 bay for front IO so i can likely get a USB/Sound on a front panel cover, and drill some holes in it for power buttons, i wouldn't mind finding away to make toggles work but they'd have to be momentary switch toggles or go with the classic big red button look

chinny22 wrote on 2021-04-20, 09:06:
I wouldn't bother with XP x64. Driver support is pretty average which limits its gaming ability. If your installing 2003 then x6 […]
Show full quote

I wouldn't bother with XP x64. Driver support is pretty average which limits its gaming ability.
If your installing 2003 then x64 is definitely an option as your not gaming on it anyway and will give you a feel of the differences in XP x64 (slight Control Panel changes and I think 64bit IE form memory?)

but I wouldn't do either....
That board supports SLI, I would go crazy and have a dual CPU, dual GPU setup, maybe even setup HDD raid with dual HDD's?
And if you wanted to go all out you could go 2 OS's x32 XP and x64 Vista or 7. (as XP wont push this to it's limits)

SLI crossed my mind, but even GTX 570's are expensive right now, ideally though for the insanity of this build, I'd like to see Dual GTX 480's in it, I think they fit a more military/industrial look and just make it more insane to begin with, so that's a great idea, just the cards are running at 40-50ea right now stupid miners and scalpers

As for OS, I'm still not fully decided, XP 32bit seems like a waste on here, and this is a server product, and it has full driver support from SuperMicro for XP 64bit, I checked into that, and Nvidia made drivers for xp 64bit, and I have no intentions of hooking up a printer, its other stuff that's gonna be hard, like a virtual drive

Reply 6 of 11, by flupke11

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'd second giving WinXP64 a shot. I'm using it as my power XP gaming rig on a Dell dual Xeon (gtx960, 32FBDimm, Audigy2ZS).
Incidentally, you can use it as central heating, but at least that is not WinXP's fault.

Reply 8 of 11, by shamino

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I was using XP64 for a while. The only big gripe I remember for games was that it doesn't support 15pin joysticks. I had a nice one I wanted to use.
Something I cared much less about is it's non-support for serial/parallel ports.
I guess the other potential pitfall is if you want to run anything old enough to contain a Win16 component. Those won't work on any Win64 OS.

I think I ran into 1 or 2 situations where I had to do additional research and install a missing library or something, and it was only confusing because of the shortage of people online who ever talked about it. That kind of thing is rare though, generally if a piece of software installs on XP32 then XP64 is no problem.

I ran into one modern niche app (not a game) that was explicitly still supporting "XP" and did indeed work on XP32 but at some version stopped working on XP64 with no obvious solution.
But I also ran into a program that had dropped support for "XP", along with the usual lecture, and XP64 was still working (through no intent of the author) so it can cut both ways.
Sometimes I'd try to install an "_x86" driver or library instead of "_x64" and then be confused why nothing happened until I remembered what I was running.

Drivers were fine for me.
Epson scanner worked perfectly
NVidia GTX285 worked just as well as on XP32
Speedfan worked fine, I used it to control the GPU fan.
My Audigy2 ZS worked fine but as above, I couldn't use the joystick without downgrading to XP32.
I couldn't use my EPROM programmer with it because it needed an LPT port, but I had another system for that.

Reply 10 of 11, by shamino

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
chrismeyer6 wrote on 2021-04-25, 00:14:

In XP64 I was able to use a game port to USB adapter with my racing wheel/pedal set.

I tried one of those (a cheap one) but the resolution was lousy. When I looked in the calibration screen under XP I noticed it was very notchy with something like 32 points of resolution or so. It made my full size CH joystick about as usable in driving games as a Playstation thumbstick, maybe even worse.
From what I read on this forum it sounded like that problem was typical of most of those adapters, so I didn't try any others.
Did you find one that doesn't suck?