VOGONS

486 eBay pickup - new project!

Topic actions

First post, by britain4

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hey all,

So recently for the sum total of £1.20 I won an eBay auction for a mystery computer bundle - the only photo was of the back of the PC and an abandoned looking CRT. In the lot turned out to be a Triumph-Adler branded 66MHz 486DX machine with 4MB RAM and I think an 800MB hard drive, a working 14” CRT and a bag of software boxes - many still in the shrink wrap.

8E83C2FC-4AE4-4C90-9C6F-A83E4E771015.jpeg
Filename
8E83C2FC-4AE4-4C90-9C6F-A83E4E771015.jpeg
File size
1.01 MiB
Views
File license
Public domain

On first boot the computer didn’t POST, but noticed the HDD wasn’t spinning up. Removing the HDD got me into the BIOS!

Next issue - it was throwing a keyboard error. Closer inspection revealed the old favourite barrel battery leaking right next to the keyboard port and had done a number on several traces and vias. Sorted out all these and boom - working keyboard. Picture shows the traces mid clean up (the outer two were both broken and there was the same damage again on the underside)

CDE46752-3CBE-49F5-8948-65A2FC27A031.jpeg
Filename
CDE46752-3CBE-49F5-8948-65A2FC27A031.jpeg
File size
1.73 MiB
Views
File license
Public domain

Now onto the HDD - it wouldn’t spin up whatever tricks I tried. Resorted to carefully removing the lid, moving the platter with my finger (which was VERY well gummed up into place) and sealing it back up, it spun up and got me straight into windows 3.1!

The outside of the machine is yellowed and slightly marked (which I’m sure will come off with scrubbing/retrobrite) but to my surprise the inside of the machine was absolutely pristine with no dust or dirt to be found - as though it had never been switched on. The factory cable management and hot glued connectors all still in place. When booted, the machine loads the original Triumph-Adler “Welcome to your new computer” screen, there are no user docs at all and the only software installed is what was bundled with it - could it be that this machine is actually unused along with most of the software in the bag?

E6EC740F-A205-4A0A-A1E0-232993482D29.jpeg
Filename
E6EC740F-A205-4A0A-A1E0-232993482D29.jpeg
File size
1.56 MiB
Views
File license
Public domain
F9C45D82-8C0B-4105-864A-DD40AAC596C3.jpeg
Filename
F9C45D82-8C0B-4105-864A-DD40AAC596C3.jpeg
File size
1.77 MiB
Views
File license
Public domain

Whatever the case, after the repairs it now works fine. Just need to sort out a battery. I have 2 32MB SIMMs on the way too.

Sorry for the long post but for me this was quite an exciting find. Unsure what the plans are yet - any advice welcomed. I may install a CF card and get Win95 on it and image this original drive before it dies.

- P-MMX 200MHZ, PCChips M598LMR, Voodoo
- P-MMX 233MHz, FIC PA2013, S3 ViRGE + Voodoo
- PII 400MHz, MSI MS6119, ATI Rage Pro Turbo + Voodoo2 SLI
- PIII 1400MHz, ECS P6IPAT, Voodoo5 5500
- Toshiba Libretto 110CT, 300MHz, 96MB RAM

Reply 1 of 34, by britain4

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Had a look in the bag this evening and it looks like all the original manuals are with it - for the I/O and graphics cards, the PC itself and the monitor - sadly, nothing specific to the motherboard. It looks like the monitor is its original one and it also has its original keyboard and crappy speakers with it too. Doubt the serial mouse is original but it came with one all the same.

The sealed software is all children’s educational stuff along with a copy of TFX and a Corel Draw package.

Scandisk reports that the hard drive is unfortunately toast presumably as a result of opening it so a new one will be on the cards soon.

Reply 2 of 34, by gerry

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

this was a great find (with great price!) and if not 'new' then it seems likely it wasn't used that much judging from your description & pictures

CF and the RAM will make it an excellent candidate for win 95 / DOS mid 90's things

Reply 3 of 34, by Half-Saint

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Nice! How did you repair the traces? I have a 386 motherboard that does POST but the keyboard doesn't work. I think the battery leakage destroyed some of the traces.

b15z33-2.png
f425xp-6.png

Reply 4 of 34, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

CPU alone is worth more then £1.20!
Will be a fun project to turn into a gamming PC.
What's it got sound and video wise?

Reply 6 of 34, by OSkar000

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Intel486dx33 wrote on 2021-07-26, 15:48:

Win95 is a Pentium Class CPU operating system.
It will not run good on a 486dx2-66

A 66mhz 486 with plenty of ram, fast storage and a graphics card that can accellerate Windows graphics is not that bad in Windows 95.

For pure nostalgia I prefer Windows 3.11 but even an old win95 setup can be pretty fun to play around with 😀

What graphics card is it in this machine?

Reply 7 of 34, by zapbuzz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

thats the pc layout I run windows 95 with 2 disks: one for the OS other for swapping thus decreasing latency and if a ISA VLB hard disk controller is used they also come in 2 port IDE meaning up to 4 disks; or 2 on separate lanes. (i like 2 master modes on separate ribbons) of course a soundcard with IDE for cdrom as to not slow down hard disk lanes (don't know if that happens with SCSI ) 😀
A SCSI VLB whoah that would give the hard disks mag wheels!
Looks like a quantum 270mb hard disk I have one still but mine is 4gb. But is that SCSI or IDE? max capacity per disk i think is 500mb IDE on that system.
4mb xms good to start but if possible i recommend 8mb or 16mb and a tident ISA VLb GPU with 1 to 4mb vram would be a good investment if seeking a fun experience with windows 95 titles. Windows 95 B i recommend over 95 original it has fixes.
Glue I don't see on cables in general I wonder if its a warranty or quality assurance.
The cleanliness of the photographed tech this is a very good aquisition reminds me of fun times i wish fun times for you.
ISA VLB https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VESA_Local_Bus

Reply 8 of 34, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
OSkar000 wrote on 2021-07-26, 16:53:
A 66mhz 486 with plenty of ram, fast storage and a graphics card that can accellerate Windows graphics is not that bad in Window […]
Show full quote

A 66mhz 486 with plenty of ram, fast storage and a graphics card that can accellerate Windows graphics is not that bad in Windows 95.

For pure nostalgia I prefer Windows 3.11 but even an old win95 setup can be pretty fun to play around with 😀

What graphics card is it in this machine?

^^^ What he said. The majority of system in use when the first version of MS Windows 95 was release were in fact 486s. Give it at least 16megs of ram and it will be happy as a sand boy.

There's a glitch in the matrix.
A founding member of the 286 appreciation society.
Apparently 32-bit is dead and nobody likes P4s.
Of course, as always, I'm open to correction...😉

Reply 9 of 34, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
zapbuzz wrote on 2021-07-26, 16:57:

thats the pc layout I run windows 95 with 2 disks: one for the OS other for swapping thus decreasing latency

Yah that's a good trick to remember for windows and linux machines, if you can put your swap on a spare disk, even if the disk is half the speed of your system disk, your system will run faster. Also comparative to storage space, swap space is not all that much, so consider even "small" disks for the era, for instance, I had a 10GB quantum fireball (back when they didn't just stick fireball on everything and it meant fast.) and right from XP thru 7 that was on an XP2600 machine, that used a 500GB drive. The fireball was a 7200 drive and did about 40MB/sec whereas the 500GB did 60MB/sec (Sustained speeds, not "here's 3 kilobytes but now my cache is empty." speeds)

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 10 of 34, by britain4

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
gerry wrote on 2021-07-26, 08:25:

this was a great find (with great price!) and if not 'new' then it seems likely it wasn't used that much judging from your description & pictures

CF and the RAM will make it an excellent candidate for win 95 / DOS mid 90's things

Thanks! No apparently not used much at all. Shame the original drive is dying really.

Half-Saint wrote on 2021-07-26, 09:39:

Nice! How did you repair the traces? I have a 386 motherboard that does POST but the keyboard doesn't work. I think the battery leakage destroyed some of the traces.

For the traces I used legs snipped off through hole components (which are in abundance on my desk 😁 ) and just scraped back the mask and soldered the legs over the breaks. For the vias I enlarged the hole slightly and soldered the legs to the traces through the hole. If your battery is in similar proximity to the keyboard connector I'd bet that's probably the issue.

chinny22 wrote on 2021-07-26, 14:41:

CPU alone is worth more then £1.20!
Will be a fun project to turn into a gamming PC.
What's it got sound and video wise?

I hope so! That's the plan anyway. Video wise I think it's got a Trident card (will have to go and have a look which one) and for sound it's got an SB16 Value.

thats the pc layout I run windows 95 with 2 disks: one for the OS other for swapping thus decreasing latency and if a ISA VLB ha […]
Show full quote

thats the pc layout I run windows 95 with 2 disks: one for the OS other for swapping thus decreasing latency and if a ISA VLB hard disk controller is used they also come in 2 port IDE meaning up to 4 disks; or 2 on separate lanes. (i like 2 master modes on separate ribbons) of course a soundcard with IDE for cdrom as to not slow down hard disk lanes (don't know if that happens with SCSI ) 😀
A SCSI VLB whoah that would give the hard disks mag wheels!
Looks like a quantum 270mb hard disk I have one still but mine is 4gb. But is that SCSI or IDE? max capacity per disk i think is 500mb IDE on that system.
4mb xms good to start but if possible i recommend 8mb or 16mb and a tident ISA VLb GPU with 1 to 4mb vram would be a good investment if seeking a fun experience with windows 95 titles. Windows 95 B i recommend over 95 original it has fixes.
Glue I don't see on cables in general I wonder if its a warranty or quality assurance.
The cleanliness of the photographed tech this is a very good aquisition reminds me of fun times i wish fun times for you.
ISA VLB https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VESA_Local_Bus

The CD-ROM drive isn't IDE but the Panasonic interface from the SB16 which thankfully works but is a bit annoying with drivers. The HDD is IDE - I've tried a spare 20GB drive in it this evening and the BIOS seems to recognise it as 8GB.

Tonight I have got MS-DOS installed on there with Ontrack disk manager and loads of FAT16 partitions so far. I'm thinking of sticking with Windows 3.1 on It after all if all goes smoothly so next will be to get that and the drivers all installed. My other builds are all "period correct" (ish) so may as well stick to that with this one even if the first computers I remember using were all Win95. Maybe I will revisit that plan once the RAM and CF adapter come.

Reply 11 of 34, by zapbuzz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

still see these on the market very cheap too and no trim I feel retro sick think i'll have to build something soon

Attachments

• internal.jpg
    Filename
    internal.jpg
    File size
    104.64 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    internal
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • external.jpg
    Filename
    external.jpg
    File size
    52.12 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    external
    File license
  • s-l1600.jpg
    Filename
    s-l1600.jpg
    File size
    53.89 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    486 friendly no more noise; no more spinup wait
    File license

Reply 12 of 34, by britain4

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
zapbuzz wrote on 2021-07-26, 18:28:

still see these on the market very cheap too and no trim I feel retro sick think i'll have to build something soon

That backplate is exactly what I've been looking at - this is my only build with no USB for file transfers so would be a huge convenience and 486 friendly too

Reply 13 of 34, by mkarcher

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Memory is the more limiting factor. Windows 95 is designed to kind-of work with 4MB of RAM. The use case is something like: You can run at 800x600 pixels, 256 colors, start wordpad, type a small text file, look at the clock in the task bar and experience no noticeable jitter due to swapping. 8MB is the actual minimum requirement to do "useful stuff" like running Office 97. And with 16MB you should have a nice swift experience even with multiple programs running at the same time.

Of course, stay away from true color, web browsers, full-screen animation and other fancy stuff. There's a reason that dragging windows with contents, wave files for system events or animated mouse cursors were not in the base operating system, but included with Plus!. If you skip all the Plus stuff, a 16MB 486DX2-66 is quite capable of running Windows 95.

Reply 14 of 34, by CalamityLime

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Nice one.
Be sure to coat the copper traces with something to help protect them, a thin coat of solder would work.

Also, luck that you got a heatsink with those little clips, heatsinks for my own little project was a bit of a nightmare.

Be Happy, it's only going to get worse.
- Projects
Limes Strange 3D models
USB-2-232

Reply 15 of 34, by H3nrik V!

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
BitWrangler wrote on 2021-07-26, 18:11:

thats the pc layout I run windows 95 with 2 disks: one for the OS other for swapping thus decreasing latency

Yah that's a good trick to remember for windows and linux machines, if you can put your swap on a spare disk, even if the disk is half the speed of your system disk, your system will run faster. Also comparative to storage space, swap space is not all that much, so consider even "small" disks for the era, for instance, I had a 10GB quantum fireball (back when they didn't just stick fireball on everything and it meant fast.) and right from XP thru 7 that was on an XP2600 machine, that used a 500GB drive. The fireball was a 7200 drive and did about 40MB/sec whereas the 500GB did 60MB/sec (Sustained speeds, not "here's 3 kilobytes but now my cache is empty." speeds)

A good thing to remember is to run them on separate channels of the IDE controller so they don't have to share same bandwith. Or maybe that's only theoretical in 486 world?

Please use the "quote" option if asking questions to what I write - it will really up the chances of me noticing 😀

Reply 16 of 34, by zapbuzz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
H3nrik V! wrote on 2021-07-27, 08:50:
BitWrangler wrote on 2021-07-26, 18:11:

A good thing to remember is to run them on separate channels of the IDE controller so they don't have to share same bandwith. Or maybe that's only theoretical in 486 world?

yes separate channels are faster 😀

Reply 17 of 34, by britain4

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I feel like the 486 would do fine in windows 95 to be honest, I’ve run it before on a P75 with 16MB and that was actually really snappy so I’d be hoping at least usable (with the additional ram).

I’ve tinned most of the exposed traces but need to pull the board back out anyway so I’ll do the rest then.

All the drivers are now installed and it's now happily running Win3.11 again with 20GB storage space on the hard disk.

On the plus side, the chassis hasn’t cleaned up too badly at all - you can see how yellow the plastic is though compared to my socket 7 machine on the bottom:

8BAAD928-3CD7-4DF3-86BC-A5BA498B7EE7.jpeg
Filename
8BAAD928-3CD7-4DF3-86BC-A5BA498B7EE7.jpeg
File size
703.9 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

At the moment I'm using an IDE-USB adapter to transfer the files straight to the hard drive, following the instructions here to use with Ontrack: https://msfn.org/board/topic/177754-mounting- … k-disk-manager/ - bit of a hassle but it works great, will have to have more of a think about it and probably switch to a CF card backplate. Maybe I'll try win95 on it too, 3.11 was before my time but I'm having fun playing around with it.

So on the to do list:

64MB RAM when it arrives (have had to disable Smartdrive to get anything to run until then)
Retrobrite the front panel?
CF card?
Tin exposed traces around battery
Sort battery
Something better video wise (VLB card?)

Last edited by britain4 on 2021-07-27, 16:43. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 19 of 34, by gerry

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
britain4 wrote on 2021-07-27, 09:59:

I feel like the 486 would do fine in windows 95 to be honest, I’ve run it before on a P75 with 16MB and that was actually really snappy so I’d be hoping at least usable (with the additional ram).

with the 64mb ram you have coming i'd agree, i also had win95 on a p75 once and it was fine. It may be 'slower' on a 486 but it will still do all the expected things ok, you're not going to be trying late 90's games on it after all (well, might be fun to see what happens!)