VOGONS

First post, by sirnephilim

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I got lucky on the Bay of E a while back, saw a listing for a For-Parts Satellite 225CDS.

It's a bit of a hidden gem, having a Yamaha YMF718 or 19 (not sure which) sound card built in and a fairly good 2MB video card. It's a Pentium 133MHz with 16 or 32MB of RAM stock. This one was the 32MB variant though it only has a passive screen.

Ended up only having a couple of serious issues, notably not coming with a charger and the battery was unable to hold a charge. First was fixed by finding a 15V 4A power supply on Amazon and soldering the right size barrel jack to it, and the latter I found on a parts website for $25. (So yeah, almost tripled my costs there.) Minor issues were only one PS/2 port which doesn't seem to work with my pigtail, so mouse only and no tenkeys or full sized keyboard only and a nub mouse. (Or maybe a serial mouse and PS/2 keyboard?) and the overall condition of the chassis is poor.

Since I didn't want to use it for anything but DOS games the 32MB of RAM is more than enough, but the 1.5GB hard drive was a problem. I snagged a 128GB MSATA drive from a kaput machine at work and got a 44-pin 2.5" IDE adapter. Lacking floppy disks and the unit not having come with a CD-ROM (I believe they all came with swappable drives?) I had to set up FreeDOS in VirtualBox and copy all my games to it in Windows (it's FAT32 so that was easy, and I already had a giant VHD with tons of DOS games I use on my MiSTer).

Plugged the drive in, attached to my old SyncMaster CRT and a PS/2 mouse and it works like a dream! Handles Quake, Duke3D, all my old Sierra games, etc. with only the occasional reboot to switch between memory managers. Granted it looks like a piece of garbage - most of the port covers are missing and the screen latch is cracked nearly in half - but hey for a total project cost of under $100 I'm not complaining. Sound was excellent and the OPL3 sounds exactly as it should, and when you're on an external monitor the picture is great.

I do wish it had a Game/MPU401 port for use with joysticks and MIDI devices, and a CD-ROM drive would be rather nice (I should get a PCMCIA/SCSI drive - would work with my Amiga as well as this), and an active matrix screen would be ideal but for what it is and what I paid I'm extremely happy with it.

If you're looking for a one-stop machine for 90's era gaming I highly recommend the 225CDS. Might not be the best possible laptop for the job but it's certainly a good option.

And if anyone has a line on the port replicator or an original CD-ROM drive I'd be very appreciative!

Reply 1 of 3, by HangarAte2nds!

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have two of these old Toshibas. One is a 486DX4-100 which my mom used in grad school in the late '90s. I did some of my first mobile gaming on it, playing things like Doom, Duke3D, Wolf3D, SC2000 and C&C. The other is an old business hardware acquisition I picked up from the local dog track last year. It has a Pentium 150MMX. Also got a bunch of Socket 478 and LGA 775 desktops, some vintage Altec Lansing multimedia speakers and a Netrome BlackBox security recorder that is pretty boring on its own but had a '90s vintage Trinity VGA video capture and editing card which was a nice addition to the collection.
But I don't have any spare CD-ROM drives, sorry. Even though I am planning to scavenge the CPU out of the 150MMX, I want to keep the rest for spares. But they seem plentiful on eBay so I doubt you will have trouble finding what you need.
Does yours not have a USB port? Both mine do. Not sure if you could run a USB optical drive on it or not. Probably not.

Reply 2 of 3, by Thermalwrong

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I've got a close relative of the 225CDS, the Satellite 230CX. Mine has the CD-rom drive fitted now - I found you can locate them fairly easily if you search for the Toshiba external floppy drives - it seems like half the caddies I've found had the CD-ROM drive fitted in place of the floppy drive, with the floppy drive being in the laptop. The CD-ROM drive doesn't work in the floppy caddy tho.
The CD-ROM drive is common to the Tecra 8000, Tecra 520, 530, 540, 550 series, Satellite 440, 460, 470, 480, 490 series - but with a unique plastic exterior for each. The other satellite models should have fully compatible drives, the ones from the Tecras will fit but won't have the right plastic exterior to clip into place securely.

A PCMCIA / SCSI CD-ROM drive might be a good investment though 😀 (for a reasonable price)

For the dock - the only dock that works with the Sat 225 is the PA2717U - I've tried other docks that kind of fit but the Toshibas are BIOS locked to only use docks specific to their series. They are really tough to find these days sadly. I don't have one but I've got one for the Tecra series and all it does outside of add some extra cardbus slots is enable the gameport on the computer, which it can do live when going from docked to undocked state and vice versa.

Beware as well, the NIMH bridge battery and CMOS battery are leaking and destroying boards, take the laptop apart and pull those out ASAP - the 230CX wasn't anywhere near as badly corroded as an earlier Satellite 430CDS from the same place. Being without the CMOS battery is no big loss, just F1 > End > Yes to boot up, most of my Toshibas (the ones still working) are like this 😀

The PS/2 port might work, but from what I recall, the toshiba PS/2 mouse/keyboard dual adapters swap the pins around from the generic dual PS/2 adapters which I have - so put the KB in the mouse port and it should work.

The Dual-Scan laptops are usually overlooked for retro gaming but since a CRT is best for old games, these laptops are usually just about perfect for old games when plugged into a good screen.

Reply 3 of 3, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I picked up a Toshiba protege at a yard sale for $5
It has an AMD k6-2@550mhz.
I replaced the cheap hard drive with a nice New 80gb. Hitachi from eBay.

It works great now.