VOGONS

My Very Long Bus Adventure.

Topic actions

Reply 140 of 266, by pshipkov

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

In general windows GDI perf is kind of meaningless because the practical difference between video cards within the same class is imperceivable.
For example:
Ark1000vl is roughly 2-3 times slower on paper (and confirmed by tests) than s3 Trio64 or end of line S3 Vision.
But even with such a large delta you dont get stuttering graphics or anything like that.
If i dont tell you which card is in the box you wont know it.

Differences between same class cards are much more pronounced in DOS interactive graphics. So thats the actual differentiator, for me at least.

These statements are in the context of 2/3/486 class hardware - isa/vlb stuff and excluding some extreme value oriented models from Realtek and OTI that massively underperform across the board.

retro bits and bytes

Reply 141 of 266, by libby

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

bloody PM restrictions 😉 I sold one of the STB cards at any rate. I need to test the other one as I hadn't run both of them in a board. was gonna get around to comparing the STB card to a Diamond Stealth 64 VLB which uses a plain Trio64 and 60ns samsung DRAM. The STB cards have 1MB of mosfel vitalic 45ns DRAM onboard and 1MB of mosfel vitalic 50ns DRAMs in the expansion sockets; guess would be running them with 1MB might net very slightly elevated performance as a result if memory bandwidth is a limiting factor somewhere.

Reply 142 of 266, by PC-Engineer

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The S3 Vision and Trio64 needs full amount of RAM (2MB) to suffer from 64bit wide access to RAM. With 1MB there are only 32bit RAM access and the Trio64 performs equal to a Trio32.

Epox 7KXA Slot A / Athlon 950MHz / Voodoo 5 5500 / PowerVR / 512 MB / AWE32 / SCSI - Windows 98SE

Reply 143 of 266, by Madao

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

yes, your notice about 64bit bus is right, but it is not important for performance in DOS-Game (because it use often only 16bit Memory bus ) (except VESA Mode)
Trio64V+ with 0 WS is fast as ARK1000VL in VGA/letter-mode.
By Windows-acceleration is Trio much faster than ARK and Vision96x is superior by windows acceleration. ARK1000VL lose totally by windows acceleration.
Difference between lowperformance card and highEnd VRAM Card grown with resolution and color depth.

Windows acceleration, Vision968 VLB is fastest card. VGA/letter, ARK1000VL / Trio64V+ (765) zero WS is fastest.

probably is S3 Trio64 (764) with modified BIOS (zero waitstate) very fast, same as Trio64V+(765)
I must check my S3 Trio64 from SPEA.

I can tell: STB Powergraph P64V ROM doesn't using advantage of 45ns DRAM. I have check it on my homemade Trio64V+ VLB card. no problem with "too slow" DRAM

black_Edition_Trio64V+.jpg
Filename
black_Edition_Trio64V+.jpg
File size
1.1 MiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

regards
matt

Reply 145 of 266, by pshipkov

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

@Madao
Tried the BIOS you provided with Diamond Stealth 64 DRAM T VLB (S3 Trio64) on two SIS VLB motherboards - no lights.
Is there anything that ties it to Trio64+ specifically ?

retro bits and bytes

Reply 148 of 266, by Chadti99

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

So did Hercules or Ark know for sure they had the fastest VGA/DOS performance out there at the time?

The marketing stating:

“The worlds fastest dos performance for no-compromise game speed”

Attachments

Reply 149 of 266, by pshipkov

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I am sure they did.
It is unlikely they spent top $ for R&D, productizing, marketing and so on without surveying what's out there and measuring against the competition.

But that label on the box is just marketing.
Every box has one of these.

retro bits and bytes

Reply 152 of 266, by TheMobRules

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

That label is curious, I don't remember seeing marketing information targeted towards DOS gamers on VLB (and older) video cards at all. Most of them seemed to focus on how good the cards were for CAD applications or Windows performance, if they were also good for DOS games it was more of an unintended consequence that they didn't care about.

Only with the advent of 3D cards did PC gamers actually become a marketing target... I think that may be one of the reasons of the success of Creative Labs in those times: despite the dubious quality of their products, they focused on gamers which were kind of "second class citizens" of the PC world and found a niche.

Reply 154 of 266, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Or they sent different stickers to different markets.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 155 of 266, by Chadti99

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well dang, not seeing ARK level dos performance on the Trio64V+, not yet. SDD isn’t working well on it and the screen is rolling in “vid_mode 11” in Quake. Best I can tell I’m hitting 29.0 fps in 1.08. The ARK can hit 30.3. More testing needed.

Also SDD isn’t detecting LFB support. Although no difference when I force it on.

Attachments

Reply 158 of 266, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

There were two vlb stingrays. The standard one used ALG chipset. The pro had the ark1000. Is that box for the alg version?

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium

Reply 159 of 266, by imi

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

it says "Stingray Pro" on the oval, I'd assume they both had the same box and the ark one got that sticker.

Hercules naming schemes back then were sometimes confusing, there's multiple cards sharing the same names... same for some Diamond and Spea cards too.