VOGONS

TinyLlama (Vortex86EX SBC)

Topic actions

Reply 200 of 659, by Jarrad

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

@Eivind thanks for releasing this, this has been an awesome project to undertake, one which me and my sons will get many hours of entertainment from, Awesome job

I have never had PCB’s made, nor soldered quite to this extreme before, it was quite a challenge (not to mention figuring out Kicad to make the led tweak mentioned 😰), I am quite impressed with myself as a novice

Without further ado a few photo’s of my Llama

P.S. for anyone going through the process of ordering PCB’s, one mistake I made is I ordered all the hand soldered parts with the SMD’s… and they don’t send these with the PCB’s, thus I had to order a second set of those components direct 🤣

Attachments

Reply 202 of 659, by Aaron707

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Does anyone have a spare Vortex86EX SOM module they would like to sell to me? I contacted DMP in Taiwan and they are 6 months out on the next batch. Thanks

Reply 204 of 659, by Aaron707

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Yes, I bet they are! I just saw this project posted on the main page of HackaDay. I regret not ordering the Vortex86 module before the kit. I reached out to another vendor of embedded computing to see if they have something but haven't heard back.
https://hackaday.com/2022/11/20/tinyllama-is- … in-your-pocket/

Reply 205 of 659, by ExplodingLemur

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Curses! I just found out about this too, and was also disappointed to see that DM&P is out of stock of the 86Duino and VGA card. I really need to browse Vogons more carefully. Or maybe lay something out myself using a different Vortex86-based SoM 😀

Reply 207 of 659, by Eivind

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Aaron707 wrote on 2022-11-21, 02:06:

Does anyone have a spare Vortex86EX SOM module they would like to sell to me? I contacted DMP in Taiwan and they are 6 months out on the next batch. Thanks

I reached out to my contact at DMP, and according to him the modules (and I quote) "will be back in stock soon".
Not sure what that means exactly, but hopefully way earlier than 6 months. I guess we'll just have to wait and see. 😜

The LlamaBlaster sound card
ITX-Llama motherboard
TinyLlama SBC

Reply 208 of 659, by Duffman

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

@tabmode

bad PSU maybe?

MB: ASRock B550 Steel Legend
CPU: Ryzen 9 5950X
RAM: Corsair 64GB Kit (4x16GB) DDR4 Veng LPX C18 4000MHz
SSDs: 2x Crucial MX500 1TB SATA + 1x Samsung 980 (non-pro) 1TB NVMe SSD
OSs: Win 11 Pro (NVMe) + WinXP Pro SP3 (SATA)
GPU: RTX2070 (11) GT730 (XP)

Reply 209 of 659, by Eivind

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
tabm0de wrote on 2022-11-22, 12:59:

Before i start to tear apart, might some one know the reason would be if it just keeps restarting when powered on.

Not exactly much to go off of, but it sounds like a power issue. Make sure your power supply is good and can handle at least 2 amps, and try checking for good connection (or maybe bad solder joints?) between USB power input and the VCC rail next to the SOM, using an ohmmeter. Also try measure the VCC voltage at various points on the board.

The LlamaBlaster sound card
ITX-Llama motherboard
TinyLlama SBC

Reply 210 of 659, by tabm0de

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Eivind wrote on 2022-11-22, 13:12:
tabm0de wrote on 2022-11-22, 12:59:

Before i start to tear apart, might some one know the reason would be if it just keeps restarting when powered on.

Not exactly much to go off of, but it sounds like a power issue. Make sure your power supply is good and can handle at least 2 amps, and try checking for good connection (or maybe bad solder joints?) between USB power input and the VCC rail next to the SOM, using an ohmmeter. Also try measure the VCC voltage at various points on the board.

the power in seems to be glitchy, god damnit 😁 need to remove the switches first haha

naa, nothing yet...

Reply 211 of 659, by Aaron707

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Eivind wrote on 2022-11-22, 13:05:

I reached out to my contact at DMP, and according to him the modules (and I quote) "will be back in stock soon".
Not sure what that means exactly, but hopefully way earlier than 6 months. I guess we'll just have to wait and see. 😜

This is great news! Thank you for reaching out.

Reply 212 of 659, by florian3

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have one extra. Let me know if you are still looking for one.

Reply 213 of 659, by Aaron707

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
florian3 wrote on 2022-11-24, 16:03:

Yes! , Still need more posts until I can send PM. So I'll go post some more. Thanks!

Reply 215 of 659, by rasteri

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
tabm0de wrote on 2022-11-25, 11:49:

Has anyone installed dos 6.22 yet? with what method? 😀

Yeah it works well. Though obviously you're limited to 2GB partition sizes.

I normally just install it in a VM then dd the whole disk over to an SD card. Installing from USB is trickier

Reply 216 of 659, by tabm0de

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
rasteri wrote on 2022-11-25, 12:27:
tabm0de wrote on 2022-11-25, 11:49:

Has anyone installed dos 6.22 yet? with what method? 😀

Yeah it works well. Though obviously you're limited to 2GB partition sizes.

I normally just install it in a VM then dd the whole disk over to an SD card. Installing from USB is trickier

Did try with ezdrive:p but it hangs on initializing , hold down ctrl 😀

naa, nothing yet...

Reply 217 of 659, by Aaron707

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Still not enough posts for me to message you. Maybe just email me @ my GMail: aaron.newman would be easiest.

On another note, I ordered a 3D printer during the black Friday deals going on. So once I have my kit in hand I will finalize the details of the case design I started for my TinyLlama. Still need to practice more with the CAD app and watch more tutorials. So far its just a simple empty case with ports. Need to re-do as two halves that can be assembled.

Attachments

• TL86 CADD.jpg
    Filename
    TL86 CADD.jpg
    File size
    51.53 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain

Reply 218 of 659, by tabm0de

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Aaron707 wrote on 2022-11-26, 01:37:

Still not enough posts for me to message you. Maybe just email me @ my GMail: aaron.newman would be easiest.

On another note, I ordered a 3D printer during the black Friday deals going on. So once I have my kit in hand I will finalize the details of the case design I started for my TinyLlama. Still need to practice more with the CAD app and watch more tutorials. So far its just a simple empty case with ports. Need to re-do as two halves that can be assembled.

Still looks nice for needing “practice” 😀

naa, nothing yet...

Reply 219 of 659, by tabm0de

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Question, how difficult would to be to enable to be able to boot from usb floppy drive? Haven’t tried cdrom yet , but will try it later today

Last edited by tabm0de on 2022-11-27, 21:10. Edited 2 times in total.

naa, nothing yet...