TinyLlama (Vortex86EX SBC)

Topic actions

Reply 520 of 659, by NinjaWarrior

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Eivind wrote on 2023-04-24, 17:25:
NinjaWarrior wrote on 2023-04-24, 16:35:
Well, I finally got time to test my Tinyllama and I am stuck at CS4237B eeprom programming. If I enter: […]
Show full quote

Well, I finally got time to test my Tinyllama and I am stuck at CS4237B eeprom programming. If I enter:

resource /f=0x120 /r=cs4237b.asm /e

I get CONTROL not found at 0x120 address

Tried also with the default address, same error.

Any clues?

Is this the 1.1 version of the TinyLlama? In that case, I’d double check your soldering. That command works if everything’s soldered correctly.

It is the latest one, you sent it to me assembled already. I just desoldered the DAC to put the adapter on top for the wavetable. Perhaps I did something wrong?

Attachments

Reply 521 of 659, by RayeR

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Also check pull-up resistor, I think there should be one at I2C data cca 4k7.... on I2C clock there's internal pull up in crystal chip..

Gigabyte GA-P67-DS3-B3, Core i7-2600K @4,5GHz, 8GB DDR3, 128GB SSD, GTX970(GF7900GT), SB Audigy + YMF724F + DreamBlaster combo + LPC2ISA

Reply 522 of 659, by Eivind

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
NinjaWarrior wrote on 2023-04-24, 17:33:

It is the latest one, you sent it to me assembled already. I just desoldered the DAC to put the adapter on top for the wavetable. Perhaps I did something wrong?

Ah, if I sent it to you pre-assembled, the eeprom is already programmed! 🤪

The LlamaBlaster sound card
ITX-Llama motherboard
TinyLlama SBC

Reply 523 of 659, by NinjaWarrior

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Eivind wrote on 2023-04-24, 17:58:
NinjaWarrior wrote on 2023-04-24, 17:33:

Ah, if I sent it to you pre-assembled, the eeprom is already programmed! 🤪

Unfortunately, UNISOUND does not find any PnP card, if I use /CL does not list any card either. Anyway, I should be able to flash again the eeprom despite it have been flashed before I suppose. I tried without the adapter+wavetable, same results.

Reply 525 of 659, by Eivind

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
NinjaWarrior wrote on 2023-04-24, 18:46:

Unfortunately, UNISOUND does not find any PnP card, if I use /CL does not list any card either. Anyway, I should be able to flash again the eeprom despite it have been flashed before I suppose. I tried without the adapter+wavetable, same results.

That is very weird, I've tested unisound and games with adlib, fm synth, digital audio samples and midi on every card I've sent out.

ITX-Llama motherboard
TinyLlama SBC

Reply 526 of 659, by NinjaWarrior

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Eivind wrote on 2023-04-24, 20:04:
NinjaWarrior wrote on 2023-04-24, 18:46:

That is very weird, I've tested unisound and games with adlib, fm synth, digital audio samples and midi on every card I've sent out.

I desoldered the DAC, but I soldered another one I had from the v1 kit just because it was new and easier to put in place (no tin to remove). I suppose the DAC of the v1 is the same of the v2. I tested the desoldered points and the soldered ones, I can't find any damage there. I will examine the board closely just to make sure no small tin fragment is the origin of the problem, but I find it strange really.

Reply 527 of 659, by Eivind

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
NinjaWarrior wrote on 2023-04-24, 20:10:

I desoldered the DAC, but I soldered another one I had from the v1 kit just because it was new and easier to put in place (no tin to remove). I suppose the DAC of the v1 is the same of the v2. I tested the desoldered points and the soldered ones, I can't find any damage there. I will examine the board closely just to make sure no small tin fragment is the origin of the problem, but I find it strange really.

Can you take a screenshot of running the unisound command? Also, I assume you've set the BLASTER environment variable first?

ITX-Llama motherboard
TinyLlama SBC

Reply 528 of 659, by NinjaWarrior

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Eivind wrote on 2023-04-24, 20:14:
NinjaWarrior wrote on 2023-04-24, 20:10:

Can you take a screenshot of running the unisound command? Also, I assume you've set the BLASTER environment variable first?

Yes, actually I am using the config and autoexec from the github. Oh, BTW I use a powered VGA-HDMI converter, I don't know if that may be a source of problems. I use also a 36W type-C power charger with fast-charging. I don't know if that matters.

Attachments

Reply 529 of 659, by NinjaWarrior

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Ok, I found the problem... and I feel REALLY stupid...

After checking all parts, the soldering, etc. All was ok. The problem was just ME:

I was using the Tinyllama v1 files (INITBIOS.ROM and unisound were different on github repos).

So, I proceed to flash the right v2 firmware. Made the USB, booted and flashed... and bricked 🙁

I checked the USB INITBIOS.ROM and the file was corrupted. The f***** pendrive just failed. Guys, something don't want me to use the Tinyllama.

So, I flashed a corrupted firmware, nice. Now the Tinyllama is bricked. Any way to unbrick it?

Reply 530 of 659, by Eivind

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
NinjaWarrior wrote on 2023-04-25, 01:01:
Ok, I found the problem... and I feel REALLY stupid... […]
Show full quote

Ok, I found the problem... and I feel REALLY stupid...

After checking all parts, the soldering, etc. All was ok. The problem was just ME:

I was using the Tinyllama v1 files (INITBIOS.ROM and unisound were different on github repos).

So, I proceed to flash the right v2 firmware. Made the USB, booted and flashed... and bricked 🙁

I checked the USB INITBIOS.ROM and the file was corrupted. The f***** pendrive just failed. Guys, something don't want me to use the Tinyllama.

So, I flashed a corrupted firmware, nice. Now the Tinyllama is bricked. Any way to unbrick it?

Whoa, sorry to hear! Well, the rom chip on the Vortex86EX is just a plain old 8 MB spi flash ic. You could either desolder it, put it in a SOP-to-DIP adapter and flash it using an eeprom/flash programmer, or even program it in-place using a SOP clip. I've used the TL866II Plus to unbrick the rom chip countless times while playing with the BIOS. The TL866II Plus is readily available on AliExpress for instance. Or, try checking around locally if anyone has a programmer and can help you out?

ITX-Llama motherboard
TinyLlama SBC

Reply 531 of 659, by Eivind

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Eivind wrote on 2023-04-25, 01:25:

Whoa, sorry to hear! Well, the rom chip on the Vortex86EX is just a plain old 8 MB spi flash ic. You could either desolder it, put it in a SOP-to-DIP adapter and flash it using an eeprom/flash programmer, or even program it in-place using a SOP clip. I've used the TL866II Plus to unbrick the rom chip countless times while playing with the BIOS. The TL866II Plus is readily available on AliExpress for instance. Or, try checking around locally if anyone has a programmer and can help you out?

I should add, I'm happy to do it for you, takes me 5 minutes. But shipping is pretty steep and takes a while, better to check in your own city/country first!

ITX-Llama motherboard
TinyLlama SBC

Reply 532 of 659, by ExplodingLemur

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Oof. @NinjaWarrior are you in the US? If so I can re-flash it, I've got a TL866II programmer and an SOIC clip. USPS priority flat-rate isn't too bad, I think about $10 each way?

Reply 533 of 659, by ExplodingLemur

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
siffland wrote on 2023-04-24, 20:03:

Did i miss the 3d files for the tinyllama v2 case on the github page somewhere.

+1 to this question, I've got a spool of Jessie 500 beige filament begging to be made into a case 😀

Reply 534 of 659, by Eivind

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
ExplodingLemur wrote on 2023-04-25, 05:22:
siffland wrote on 2023-04-24, 20:03:

Did i miss the 3d files for the tinyllama v2 case on the github page somewhere.

+1 to this question, I've got a spool of Jessie 500 beige filament begging to be made into a case 😀

Yeah I've been holding off publishing this case for far too long, I just haven't been 100% satisfied - but if you guys wanna have a crack at printing it yourself it's up on github now! 👍

ITX-Llama motherboard
TinyLlama SBC

Reply 535 of 659, by NinjaWarrior

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Eivind wrote on 2023-04-25, 01:25:

Thank you Eivind, I will ask in a Spanish retro forum just in case someone has a programmer. If negative, I will send it to you. No problem if it takes a while to return 😀 . OR, I can buy a TL86II Plus and do it myself... is it a difficult task?

ExplodingLemur wrote on 2023-04-25, 05:20:

Oof. @NinjaWarrior are you in the US? If so I can re-flash it, I've got a TL866II programmer and an SOIC clip. USPS priority flat-rate isn't too bad, I think about $10 each way?

Thank you for your kind offer! Unfortunately, I am in Spain 🙁

Well, the good side of this history is the board and the DAC mod is ok, so at the end the problem was flashing the CPU BIOS with a corrupted ROM. Next time I will hash check the ROM before flashing (I suppose there is a FreeDOS/MSDOS utility to check file hashes).

Last edited by NinjaWarrior on 2023-04-29, 11:48. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 536 of 659, by vanfanel

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Looking at some recent Rasteri experiments, it seems that the PCIe VGA module has some "artificial limit" set on:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MQR2LxR7VdM

Maybe a BIOS update could remove that limit somehow? Or maybe another VGA PCIe chip is needed?

Reply 537 of 659, by Eivind

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
vanfanel wrote on 2023-04-26, 10:22:

Looking at some recent Rasteri experiments, it seems that the PCIe VGA module has some "artificial limit" set on:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MQR2LxR7VdM

Maybe a BIOS update could remove that limit somehow? Or maybe another VGA PCIe chip is needed?

I don't think there's anything "artificial" about it, the Vortex86VGA chip is just slow. Me and many others in here have tried various other graphics cards, and the best ones for the TinyLlama seem to be cards based on the Silicon Motion SM750 (in a handy Mini-PCIe form factor). That, combined with a healthy overclock of the CPU gives you very playable framerates in most early-to-mid 90's games.

ITX-Llama motherboard
TinyLlama SBC

Reply 538 of 659, by NinjaWarrior

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Ok, received the programmer and reflashed the BIOS with the v2, the right one. Now crystal chip is properly detected and wavetable module works like a charm. Finally some fun for the weekend!

t48_con_clip.jpg
Filename
t48_con_clip.jpg
File size
87.11 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

Reply 539 of 659, by Eivind

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
NinjaWarrior wrote on 2023-04-28, 14:44:

Ok, received the programmer and reflashed the BIOS with the v2, the right one. Now crystal chip is properly detected and wavetable module works like a charm. Finally some fun for the weekend!

That's awesome, congrats! 😀

ITX-Llama motherboard
TinyLlama SBC