VOGONS

TinyLlama (Vortex86EX SBC)

Topic actions

Reply 220 of 659, by Eivind

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Aaron707 wrote on 2022-11-26, 01:37:

other note, I ordered a 3D printer during the black Friday deals going on. So once I have my kit in hand I will finalize the details of the case design I started for my TinyLlama. Still need to practice more with the CAD app and watch more tutorials. So far its just a simple empty case with ports. Need to re-do as two halves that can be assembled.

That looks pretty damn slick! 😁 Hope to see it come to life!

The LlamaBlaster sound card
ITX-Llama motherboard
TinyLlama SBC

Reply 221 of 659, by Eivind

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
tabm0de wrote on 2022-11-26, 07:45:

Question, how difficult would to be to enable to be able to boot from usb floppy drive? Haven’t tried cdrom yet , but will try it later today

I honestly have no idea, don't own any of those. I imagine it would be possible though, and there's always the option to hack the BIOS if there's stuff missing! 😉

ITX-Llama motherboard
TinyLlama SBC

Reply 222 of 659, by tabm0de

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I know this is to much to ask, but has any one tried windows 3.1? 😉 it just jumps back to prompt when trying to run it. installation works fine.

*edit, strange does start if i typ "win /s" ( Start windows in standard mode) no ide what mode it tries otherwise haha

naa, nothing yet...

Reply 223 of 659, by rasteri

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
tabm0de wrote on 2022-11-27, 19:18:

*edit, strange does start if i typ "win /s" ( Start windows in standard mode) no ide what mode it tries otherwise haha

Windows usually starts in 386 enhanced mode, standard mode is for 286s. Check your DOS memory setup maybe?

Reply 224 of 659, by tabm0de

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
rasteri wrote on 2022-11-27, 19:40:
tabm0de wrote on 2022-11-27, 19:18:

Windows usually starts in 386 enhanced mode, standard mode is for 286s. Check your DOS memory setup maybe?

I just tried everything out of the box, haven’t check anything els to be honest except a svga driver with 256 colors.

*edit did a reinstall again on top the existing and it just started to work, no ide what happened first time.

Things are looking good 😁

Attachments

• image0.jpeg
    Filename
    image0.jpeg
    File size
    983.66 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain

naa, nothing yet...

Reply 225 of 659, by tabm0de

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Finally my first one is 100% done.

I just wanted to post all thing around the soldering that i have hade problems with if it could help any one in the future 😀

My plan was use pcb stencil with hotplate for all the small components, which in my world was suppose to be easier.
First board i did have problem that the bord was just keep restarting and did not find a real issue, so resoldered all the components again by hand instead and booted fine 😉

Second board was done by hand instead of hot plate, which i most say was way easier then expected.
Stupid problem i had with this one was that the board just hang on bios when sd card was inserted, that was due to a pin for the sbc wasn't soldered 100%

I also hade one problem where i did not get any mt32-pi sound, my first step was to remove the pc speaker and then try the output on the GY-PCM5102 which also didnt output anything, as always at least for me i seem to get a non working PCM5102, doent matter if i buy the cheaper version also, so i would recommend put in the pc speaker after testing mt32-pi.

When having problems with usb mouse, i just gab a cheap non power usb hub that i had and connected the mouse to it, then the mouse worked without problems 😀

Otherwise the project is fun as hell, but i do get it takes time to put one together 😀 my plan is to make 5 and probably sell 2 of them to cover my expense 😀

I will also make few clean sd images, dos 6.22/win3.1 , windows 95 and windows 98 just to be able to simple switch between OS.

* YES i do know the bigger screen looks silly, but i rather have a bigger one 😀

Attachments

• IMG_3169.jpg
    Filename
    IMG_3169.jpg
    File size
    1.22 MiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain

naa, nothing yet...

Reply 226 of 659, by tabm0de

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Question regarding "Pin 23 (FORCEON) should not be tied to GND, because this enables auto-powerdown which doesn't play well with serial mice. Instead, it should be tied to VCC to disable the feature."

The only "Pin 23" i can think of, and easiest fix for that would be something like the picture if im not wrong ( of course cut it away from GND first )? or är jag ute och cycklar ?

Attachments

• pin23 FORCEON.png
    Filename
    pin23 FORCEON.png
    File size
    73.44 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain

naa, nothing yet...

Reply 227 of 659, by Eivind

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
tabm0de wrote on 2022-11-29, 09:19:

Question regarding "Pin 23 (FORCEON) should not be tied to GND, because this enables auto-powerdown which doesn't play well with serial mice. Instead, it should be tied to VCC to disable the feature."
The only "Pin 23" i can think of, and easiest fix for that would be something like the picture if im not wrong ( of course cut it away from GND first )? or är jag ute och cycklar ?

I see I forgot to mention which IC I was talking about in the errata document (I've rectified that now). It's the MAX3243 chip, and has nothing to do with whatever you're showing in that screenshot you just posted! 😀
For more info, take a look here.

ITX-Llama motherboard
TinyLlama SBC

Reply 228 of 659, by tabm0de

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Eivind wrote on 2022-11-29, 10:43:
tabm0de wrote on 2022-11-29, 09:19:

I see I forgot to mention which IC I was talking about in the errata document (I've rectified that now). It's the MAX3243 chip, and has nothing to do with whatever you're showing in that screenshot you just posted! 😀
For more info, take a look here.

hahah, thanks 😀

Really need it it as i havnt find any ps/2 driver that work in windows 3.1 at the moment, so serial mouse was the way to go for now 😉

naa, nothing yet...

Reply 229 of 659, by tabm0de

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

So i have tried everything i can, if someone knows how to get the usb/ps/2 emulate working in windows 3 please tell me! 😀 serial mouse work without problem in windows, ps/2 emulate works great in dos and ctmouse can find it, but i have no luck with windows 3.1 and a ps/2 driver.

naa, nothing yet...

Reply 230 of 659, by tabm0de

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

If someone is interested, i ran softmpu /MPU:330 before starting monkey island with "monkey r" and the sound seems to be good, this might be a faster way then disabling stuff in bios.

naa, nothing yet...

Reply 231 of 659, by Eivind

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
tabm0de wrote on 2022-11-30, 10:26:

So i have tried everything i can, if someone knows how to get the usb/ps/2 emulate working in windows 3 please tell me! 😀 serial mouse work without problem in windows, ps/2 emulate works great in dos and ctmouse can find it, but i have no luck with windows 3.1 and a ps/2 driver.

Nah, seems like both Windows 3.1 and 98 doesn't like SeaBIOS's PS/2 emulation. 🙁

ITX-Llama motherboard
TinyLlama SBC

Reply 232 of 659, by Eivind

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
tabm0de wrote on 2022-11-30, 20:35:

If someone is interested, i ran softmpu /MPU:330 before starting monkey island with "monkey r" and the sound seems to be good, this might be a faster way then disabling stuff in bios.

Cool! Was this in MS-DOS? I seem to recall softmpu crashing when running under freedos's JEMMEX/JEMM386... 😒

ITX-Llama motherboard
TinyLlama SBC

Reply 233 of 659, by Eivind

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Btw, I reverted back to the standard 18.2 Hz PIT timing - I just discovered my Microsoft serial mouse didn't work with the faster timing. So I guess it affected the serial communication somehow. Well, I didn't really know what I was doing messing with the PIT anyways, so I'll just keep it at its default value for now. Updated BIOS here.

ITX-Llama motherboard
TinyLlama SBC

Reply 234 of 659, by tabm0de

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Eivind wrote on 2022-12-01, 00:26:
tabm0de wrote on 2022-11-30, 20:35:

Cool! Was this in MS-DOS? I seem to recall softmpu crashing when running under freedos's JEMMEX/JEMM386... 😒

Ye, i an running dos 6.22 at the moment 😀

naa, nothing yet...

Reply 235 of 659, by tabm0de

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Eivind wrote on 2022-12-01, 00:23:
tabm0de wrote on 2022-11-30, 10:26:

Nah, seems like both Windows 3.1 and 98 doesn't like SeaBIOS's PS/2 emulation. 🙁

Stupid question, what version of seabios is used for tinyllama? i saw some old post others have hade problem with ps/2 mouse and windows 98 with older version of seabios . when downloading lates seabios i can see there is some changes in mouse.c ( seabios-1.16.0 ) vs https://github.com/eivindbohler/tinyllama-bio … ios/src/mouse.c, aslo think I saw some extra usb info in usb files

Last edited by tabm0de on 2022-12-02, 18:12. Edited 2 times in total.

naa, nothing yet...

Reply 236 of 659, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Windows 98 should get away with usb hid peripherals on its own.

Now I'm not sure if it's possible to disable the emulation while running windows 98 ...

Trying to identify old hardware ? Visit The retro web - Project's thread The Retro Web project - a stason.org/TH99 alternative

Reply 238 of 659, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Something I thought about was : what if we made the opposite of a passive usb to ps/2 adapter : making a passive ps/2 to usb adapter ?
By that I mean that we could select between usb and ps/2 signalling over an usb port via a jumper and when set to ps/2, the usb port isn't a real usb port anymore but rather a ps/2 port with a usb connector. All you'd need then is a passive adapter to connect a ps/2 mouse or a ps/2 keyboard, without needing to add more connectors to the PCB.

If you have a usb mouse that can be used as a ps/2 mouse with such adapter you may not even need any adaptor

Trying to identify old hardware ? Visit The retro web - Project's thread The Retro Web project - a stason.org/TH99 alternative

Reply 239 of 659, by Duffman

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

@deksor

I think that's what rasteri's HIDman is for.

MB: ASRock B550 Steel Legend
CPU: Ryzen 9 5950X
RAM: Corsair 64GB Kit (4x16GB) DDR4 Veng LPX C18 4000MHz
SSDs: 2x Crucial MX500 1TB SATA + 1x Samsung 980 (non-pro) 1TB NVMe SSD
OSs: Win 11 Pro (NVMe) + WinXP Pro SP3 (SATA)
GPU: RTX2070 (11) GT730 (XP)