VOGONS

Reply 20 of 21, by Hezus

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Luke4838P wrote on 2022-05-12, 16:01:

Bump for a question.
Is the charging circuit here?

Are you certain this motherboard charges the battery? If so, you might be able to swap the battery with a ML2032 instead.

Did you manage to grab the BIOS by any chance?

Visit my YT Channel!

Reply 21 of 21, by Luke4838P

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Hezus wrote on 2022-05-12, 18:31:
Luke4838P wrote on 2022-05-12, 16:01:

Bump for a question.
Is the charging circuit here?

Are you certain this motherboard charges the battery? If so, you might be able to swap the battery with a ML2032 instead.

Did you manage to grab the BIOS by any chance?

For this, yes, i just need to grab it from the diskette, the trouble is from this motherboard that lacks USB interfaces and i need to use diskettes (especially when the system is Windows 95 OSR 2.5C with Plus!).
Are you sure they're fit to replace the barrel battery? for what i heard the ML-2032\LIR-2032 isn't fit for a Ni-Mh\Ni-Cd charging circuit as the lithium rechargeables need a circuit to stop it from overcharging (also considering that most likely the voltage of the + pole from the PSU will be around 4.5\4.7V and if i remember correctly the LIR 2032\ML 2032 have a maximum tolerated voltage).
I need to test it while turning on the PC to see how much current goes to the battery poles.
But i'm 99% sure that should be recharging, as there was a barrel battery there, and those ARE rechargeable that can handle higher voltages than lithium rechargeables.
Curse those barrel batteries, i would have rather drilled the DALLAS battery with a CR 2032 mod like my father's old 486 that only died a couple years ago after 25 years of use.
If that's the charging circuit, i will cut this trace and place a diode there (Schottky but i don't remember the 1NXXXX designation, small black ones that can block the voltage well).
Underneath there's nothing from the two poles of the battery, so the only trace to the + pole should be there.
I made a sketch on what i've observed, can someone tell me if this makes sense?
Edit:
There's a picture of what it looks like now with the glue removed.

Attachments

• IMG-20220514-WA0013.jpg
    Filename
    IMG-20220514-WA0013.jpg
    File size
    237.99 KiB
    Views
    File license
    CC-BY-4.0
  • circuit.jpg
    Filename
    circuit.jpg
    File size
    243.71 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    The acid from the barrel battery seems to have just removed the protective paint.
    File license
    CC-BY-4.0