VOGONS

First post, by Xebec

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hey folks,

I am actually getting out of the "old PC" hobby (I'm still into the Atari 8-bit and ST platforms, as well as the Amiga.. so it's too many old architectures for me at once if I add the old PC!), but I wanted to share some final specs of a RetroPC I cobbled together and used lightly over the last couple of years. My dad found the original PC sitting on a curb in a neighbors trash and so I drove out to pick it up, and added some legacy parts I had sitting around in bins to create this PC. (There was also a 486 board in a mid size case that my Dad picked up, but that was heavily corroded. It was also only a standard i486DX-33 so very common).

The pics are terrible, they're post-breakdown, but specs were as follows:

- Tekram Socket 7 - P5T30-B4E
- Originally found in trash with a Pentium 166 MMX, but upgraded to K6-3+ 450 ACZ.
- .. I used an aftermarket BIOS and selected bus speed 75 MHz to achieve a (typically) stable 450 MHz K6-3+ on S7
- SB Vibra 16S (my AWE32 in storage appears to have bad capacitors - would not consistently work, even at 66 MHz bus speed)
- Riva TNT2 M64 (some improved windows resolutions and also friendly with DOS)
- Generic 100 mbps Ethernet NIC
- Various RAM configs - initially in 'trash' config, it had 2 x 16 MB of FPM and 2 x 16 MB of EDO; I later upgraded to a single 64MB stick of SDRAM PC100
- dual CF to IDE adapter; 8GB and 4GB + USB Storage - it's what I had laying around
- Mitsumi CDRom drive (works!)
- 5.25" and 3.5" floppy drives

Other items not installed but in the system at one point: Syba 4 port PCI serial card, Creative Labs CT4620 PCI sound card, "Analog devices 1816" Sound card

I found this chipset and board really cool as it supported both AT and ATX style power supplies. The OG AT supply did work but I didn't trust it, so I upgraded to ATX (see pics). I also liked that the board had both an AT style keyboard connector as well as USB onboard, allowing me to use both an old keyboard, and also USB sticks for easy file transfers to Windows 98.

Anyway, just wanted to share. If I do get back into the hobby of old PCs again, I have a 5x86-133 powerleap adapter sitting around, some RAM, so maybe a higher end 486 as the 486 is the class of PC I have real nostalgia for. (My "PC" progression was Atari 8bit platform --> Atari ST --> PC XT @ 8 MHz in parallel --> 486DX-25, and then a multinode BBS - PCBoard on the 486s later, surrounded by a bunch of 286's and 386SX's).

Keep up the awesome work Vogons! I love Phils' channel and also all of the benchmark information and data here - there's a lot of stuff I'm learning I wish I knew back in the day.

Thanks!

P.S. The choice of K6-3+ was not just to max out the platform, but it was also a really cool chip that would have been awesome to give new life to an old Socket 7 system.. so I wanted to see what it could do in person. I'm 99% sure it was held back by the slow CF speeds for the build I put together..

Attachments

• retro1.jpg
    Filename
    retro1.jpg
    File size
    353.06 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain
  • retro2.jpg
    Filename
    retro2.jpg
    File size
    261.65 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain

Reply 1 of 4, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Very high degree of authenticity... cable management didn't exist until 2002 🤣 .... I jest, but really nobody cared much until it became more necessary to avoid obstructing airflow in higher power systems.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 3 of 4, by Xebec

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
BitWrangler wrote on 2021-12-03, 16:51:

Very high degree of authenticity... cable management didn't exist until 2002 🤣 .... I jest, but really nobody cared much until it became more necessary to avoid obstructing airflow in higher power systems.

🤣!!

Yes, in this state it was terrible. I had the cabling *slightly* better when I was using it more regularly, but it was really tough in this case. Unfortunately I had gotten rid of my rounded IDE cables some years before, and only recently found a rounded floppy cable to begin the cleanup. It was made worse because of things like the ATX PSU being non modular, and me being lazy in not properly mounting my CF-IDE adapter.

Reply 4 of 4, by Xebec

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Hezus wrote on 2021-12-04, 10:27:

Lovely! Socket 7 is such a sweet spot for having 'modern' connections like USB bit still rock the old AT connections like DIN.

What will you be using the system for?

Thanks!

I used it for a while to play some DOS Games: Dune 1, Dune 2, Warcraft 2, etc. I had installed Star Trek 25th anniversary and a few other games as well but never got around to them. I also used this to finally copy off some old 3.5" and 5.25" floppies I had to a more modern PC. A few of those disks though (PCBoard 14.2 and 14.5 - original floppies) I've sent to a professional who will capture those images for Archive.org. It also played MP3s randomly for a while as "house ambience".

I had been planning on going full nostalgia and setting up a 2-3 node PCBoard BBS running on Desqview but never got that far. (I ran a BBS from 1986-1994; and PCBoard specifically from 1990-1994).

After running into a lot of issues with Win 95/98 stability (one bad reboot and you're done basically), I've decided to get out of this particular PC. It was a bit of a frankenstein project PC, and I had a lot of fun -- but I also have too many other retro computers around to tend to. (Currently: Atari 800 NTSC, Atari 800XL with PAL chip swap, Commodore Amiga 1200, and an Atari Mega STE).