VOGONS

First post, by EddieHimself

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

So, I decided to put together a Pentium MMX system. I've got a Pentium MMX 200 CPU to put in this system. I already had it because of... reasons, so I decided it would do. I can always put a 233 in there if I ever feel like it. The next thing was the motherboard. I decided to go with an ATX socket 7 motherboard. Why ATX? Because I don't want to go around trying to find all the I/O brackets, especially the "ATX form card" for the USB and PS/2 mouse port, which seems to be as hard to find as rocking horse teeth. Also, as much as I like the AT cases, they tend to be either in terrible condition or really expensive. So, I went with this board:

DSC_0001.JPG?width=1171&height=778

One thing that drew me to this motherboard in particular was the white ISA slots. I've seen them on motherboards in other builds on this forum, and I think they look really neat! With the MMX CPU installed, I decided to use a heatsink from an Athlon CPU, which I believe that--due to its size--will be enough to cool the CPU on its own, without the need for a fan. I guess if I wanted to be on the really safe side I could get a 60-mm fan to go on there, but it's only going to be a very low noise one.

DSC_0008.JPG?width=778&height=1171

Since the 5598 has built-in graphics, it means that this is all I need to fire it up for testing... at least I thought. I knew you needed pairs of RAM sticks for the 72-pin SIMM slots, but apparently you need them for the SDRAM slots as well, as I didn't get anything on the screen. Not to worry. For now, I put in a couple of 72-pin FPM SIMMS from a busted 486, and success!

DSC_0009.JPG?width=1171&height=778

Obviously, I want to have more than 8 megs of FPM for a system like this, so my current thinking is to get a pair of 32-MB SDRAM modules for 64 MB RAM in total, and of course ditch the FPM RAM. Does this sound good? I think it ought to be OK for a system of this era, and 32-MB modules ought to not have any issues, at least I think? Well, your input is welcome. The other thing is that I have replaced the Voodoo Banshee and AWE64 from my Compaq build, so that's what I'm planning on using here:

20201010_124240.jpg?width=1383&height=778

Yes, I know the Banshee isn't exactly the best Voodoo card out there, but that's why you can get them for less than 3 figures! Then, it's a matter of storage. I've got an SD-IDE adaptor, or I could try using an actual hard disk drive, depending on what the maximum size supported by the BIOS is. Also, later on, I will probably look at a different case. This one is in fine condition, but it's a bit too much of a new design for this era of PC. I guess you could say that any ATX case is for an original MMX build, but I'm sure I could find something that looks more the part. Well, that's it for now. I shall post progress as it happens.

Reply 1 of 10, by Hezus

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Looks like a fine choice of components! The 486 I put together recently also has white ISA slots, which I found cool as well. There are some interesting slot brackets on those IDE connectors on your motherboard. Haven't seen those before.

64 megs of RAM is more then enough for an MMX system and the Voodoo card generally gives you great compatibilty with older DOS games too.

What is that ESS audiodrive onboard chip?

Visit my YT Channel!

Reply 2 of 10, by Joseph_Joestar

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Very nice build! I use something similar for most of my DOS gaming as well.

Concerning SDRAM, you don't need a pair of sticks, but these old motherboards can be picky with regards to RAM density. Often, newer SDRAM sticks are either detected at half capacity or don't work at all. You might need something old, like this double-sided two row 64 MB module that I ended up using.

PC#1: Pentium MMX 166 / Soyo SY-5BT / S3 Trio64V+ / Voodoo1 / YMF719 / AWE64 Gold / SC-155
PC#2: AthlonXP 2100+ / ECS K7VTA3 / Voodoo3 / Audigy2 / Vortex2
PC#3: Athlon64 3400+ / Asus K8V-MX / 5900XT / Audigy2
PC#4: i5-3570K / MSI Z77A-G43 / GTX 970 / X-Fi

Reply 3 of 10, by EddieHimself

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Hezus wrote on 2021-12-10, 18:01:

Looks like a fine choice of components! The 486 I put together recently also has white ISA slots, which I found cool as well. There are some interesting slot brackets on those IDE connectors on your motherboard. Haven't seen those before.

64 megs of RAM is more then enough for an MMX system and the Voodoo card generally gives you great compatibilty with older DOS games too.

What is that ESS audiodrive onboard chip?

Yeah, I have seen those types of connectors on other hardware like hard drive caddies, but not on a motherboard, as far as I remember at least. The ESS Audiodrive chip is the 1869F. Certainly seems like a nice option, even if I am planning on using the sound card.

Joseph_Joestar wrote on 2021-12-10, 18:11:

Very nice build! I use something similar for most of my DOS gaming as well.

Concerning SDRAM, you don't need a pair of sticks, but these old motherboards can be picky with regards to RAM density. Often, newer SDRAM sticks are either detected at half capacity or don't work at all. You might need something old, like this double-sided two row 64 MB module that I ended up using.

I did see on the Wiki about memory density issues with these old motherboards, that's why I was thinking of the 2x32 MB option. According to the page they link on there, if you use 32-MB double-sided DIMMs, it should work fine and recognise all the memory. Well, I managed to get a pair for a tenner. So, while there's no reason they shouldn't work, it's not exactly a great loss if they don't.

Reply 4 of 10, by EddieHimself

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

According to the datasheet, the SiS 5598 actually supports 64-megabit memory chips, but only up to 32 MB memory modules. That would explain why it wasn't playing ball with the 64-MB DIMM I tried using.

Reply 5 of 10, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
EddieHimself wrote on 2021-12-10, 19:30:

The ESS Audiodrive chip is the 1869F. Certainly seems like a nice option, even if I am planning on using the sound card.

The ESS11869 is lovely. I definitely prefer ESFM synthesis rather than the CQM modulation you'll get from the AWE64.

I also noticed quite a few of the SIS 5598 drivers are missing from the usual places. I found this set from an Argentinian site. Hopefully it works for you.
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/16S_C6 … SUL?usp=sharing

Last edited by gdjacobs on 2021-12-15, 18:58. Edited 1 time in total.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 6 of 10, by EddieHimself

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
gdjacobs wrote on 2021-12-15, 18:16:
EddieHimself wrote on 2021-12-10, 19:30:

The ESS Audiodrive chip is the 1869F. Certainly seems like a nice option, even if I am planning on using the sound card.

The ESS11869 is lovely. I definitely prefer ESFM synthesis rather than the CQM modulation you'll get from the AWE64.

Well, I can always enable the on-board sound again and use it for the FM synthesis, if the mood takes me. I agree that the AWE 64 doesn't have ideal FM synth emulation. As I say though, this is for later DOS/Windows 95 games, where the wavetable synthesis is what I'm more interested in anyway. And thanks for the links. Fortunately, Windows 95 OSR 2.1 seemed to have all the drivers I needed out of the bat, but this might be useful if I decide to put other operating systems on it.

So, I managed to get some SDRAM, and while the PC booted, it kept crashing and giving errors, so I suspect they were faulty in some way. I'll have to get some more.

Reply 7 of 10, by EddieHimself

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Well, I managed to get some SDRAM that isn't broken. Now, I've got 64 MB of SDRAM, and everything up and running with Windows 95 and real-time DOS mode (remember, kids: MSCDEX is not a CD-ROM driver!)

DSC_0001_3.JPG?width=1171&height=778
DSC_0003_2.JPG?width=1171&height=778
DSC_0002_3.JPG?width=1171&height=778

NGL though, the Voodoo Rush patched version of Tomb Raider is awful. The lighting is terrible, there is no under-character shadow, and you often get wireframe boxes around objects. Imagine if 3Dfx had just made it so the Voodoo Rush and later versions were backwards-compatible with the original Glide mode. Crazy. As I say, the case isn't really what I want for this era of PC, but it's fine for now.

Reply 8 of 10, by Joseph_Joestar

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
EddieHimself wrote on 2021-12-20, 13:11:

NGL though, the Voodoo Rush patched version of Tomb Raider is awful. The lighting is terrible, there is no under-character shadow, and you often get wireframe boxes around objects.

Yeah, the Voodoo Rush patch for Tomb Raider is pretty disappointing.

After acquiring a proper Voodoo1, I instantly noticed that the lighting was much better using the original 3DFX patch. I still needed to turn off mipmapping, since it's somewhat buggy, but it works great otherwise.

PC#1: Pentium MMX 166 / Soyo SY-5BT / S3 Trio64V+ / Voodoo1 / YMF719 / AWE64 Gold / SC-155
PC#2: AthlonXP 2100+ / ECS K7VTA3 / Voodoo3 / Audigy2 / Vortex2
PC#3: Athlon64 3400+ / Asus K8V-MX / 5900XT / Audigy2
PC#4: i5-3570K / MSI Z77A-G43 / GTX 970 / X-Fi

Reply 9 of 10, by bloodem

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
EddieHimself wrote on 2021-12-20, 13:11:

NGL though, the Voodoo Rush patched version of Tomb Raider is awful. The lighting is terrible, there is no under-character shadow, and you often get wireframe boxes around objects. Imagine if 3Dfx had just made it so the Voodoo Rush and later versions were backwards-compatible with the original Glide mode. Crazy. As I say, the case isn't really what I want for this era of PC, but it's fine for now.

That's why I prefer the Voodoo 2. Not only is it generally faster (for multitextured games, where that actually counts), but it's the last card that still works with the original Tomb Raider 3dfx patch! Nonetheless, the Banshee is still very good when paired with the Pentium MMX.

1 x PLCC-68 / 2 x PGA132 / 5 x Skt 3 / 9 x Skt 7 / 12 x SS7 / 1 x Skt 8 / 14 x Slot 1 / 5 x Slot A
5 x Skt 370 / 8 x Skt A / 2 x Skt 478 / 2 x Skt 754 / 3 x Skt 939 / 7 x LGA775 / 1 x LGA1155
Current PC: Ryzen 7 5800X3D
Backup PC: Core i7 7700k

Reply 10 of 10, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yah I'm hoping the 3D Monster II 8MB that exists in my head turns up for a rig like this. The 16MB V2s which I can physically locate want to be a pair in something faster. The Banshee wants to be in something between them.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.