VOGONS

First post, by firage

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Logging the annoying progress on a fast Win98SE build based on the ASRock 775i65G.

otci7AIm.jpg fNuOJr2m.jpg

Intel Pentium Dual-Core E5800 3.2 GHz
2 GB Corsair TwinX2048-3500LLPRO (v1.3, Infineon CE-5)
ASRock 775i65G R3.0
Gainward GeForce FX 5950 Ultra 256 MB (w/ Arctic Cooling NV Silencer 4)
Aureal SQ2500 Vortex 2 + Yamaha DB50XG daughter board
Kingston SSDNow UV400 120 GB
Corsair RM750i
Noctua NH-U9S chromax.black
Chieftec CT-01B

The DVD drive I had for this turned out faulty and I'll have to replace it. Switching to a USB based approach, I wasted a lot of time with Rufus. Couldn't get Windows XP setup to boot on this board until I tried YUMI multiboot, which worked perfectly. XP is better than 98SE for hardware stability testing and such.

GeForce FX 5950 Ultra:
Powering up for the firs time, the Arctic Cooling fan shorted and blew its capacitor with a bang! There was a bit of smoke and a brief flash at the fan header as well as the card's auxiliary power connector. The "NV Silencer" caused no apparent damage to the card or wiring after a quick test, aside from probably taking out one of the two fan headers. I'll have to replace the cooling solution again, though.

2 GB Corsair TwinX2048-3500LLPRO:
There's a problem with the memory. TestMem5 gives errors at DDR400 at the board's maximum 2.7 VDIMM, no matter how loose the timings. I'll need new memory. 2 x 512 MB will be more than enough for a 98SE build; even 256 MB sticks would do for capacity, but it's typically a single row configuration in DDR400 and two rows per channel should be optimum for performance.

My big-red-switch 486

Reply 3 of 3, by firage

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'm sure there is some susceptibility -- the 775i65G is a small board with fewer mounting points and probably a cheap thin construction. Pretty happy with the compact NH-U9S heatsink here; all fans under 1000 rpm and the cores still remain under 60C in Prime95.

Tested each of the two 1 GB DIMM's separately in single channel and always ran into TestMem5 errors. Seems like the Corsair TwinX2048-3500LLPRO won't work here, which is a shame. I have something new on the way.

SATA detection issues abound, going through the various options. Primary IDE + SATA is the one Compatible Mode option that works properly. (The SSD fails to initialize in SATA + Secondary IDE, giving "S.M.A.R.T. Command Failed.") Also, it appears both IDE controllers have to be enabled in the Enhanced Mode menu before switching it over to Compatible.

CrystalDiskMark looks good for an IDE mode SATA-150 interface and a small low-end drive like the UV400. Moving the starting sector from 63 to 2048 improved random I/O a fair bit. We'll see about FAT32 and 98SE when we get there.

ich5_uv400.jpg
Filename
ich5_uv400.jpg
File size
82.45 KiB
Views
File comment
NTFS, XP, default partition alignment.
File license
CC-BY-4.0
ich5_uv400_4ka.jpg
Filename
ich5_uv400_4ka.jpg
File size
81.69 KiB
Views
File comment
NTFS, XP, 4K optimized partition alignment.
File license
CC-BY-4.0

My big-red-switch 486