VOGONS

First post, by AmbraSprintaII

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi! First time poster here (be gentle).

I just thought I'd share a little something about my first PC, an Ambra Sprinta II, that I bought in 1994.

Original specs

• MB: Acer A1 93113-1, LPX
  • CPU: Intel A80486SX-33
  • RAM: 4MB on-board, 80ns
  • Cache: 0kB
  • BIOS: Acer 486SX/DX BIOS (A01) V1.2R1.3
  • Chipset: ALI M1429 A1
  • GFX: Cirrus Logic CL-GD5424 512kB DRAM VLB
  • PSU: HiPro HP-125WPF1
  • HDD: IBM-H3171-A2 (984C, 10H, 34 SEC/T), 171MB
  • FDD: Ye data yd-702b 6036b c

Me playing Wolfenstein 3D (May 1994).

94052x-wolf3d.png
Filename
94052x-wolf3d.png
File size
211.71 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

Originally, it had a branded keyboard (Model-M, I think), 14" SVGA CRT and an atrocious mouse. Sadly, I got rid of pretty much everything that came with it and only kept the actual unit itself (I don't blame myself to much, as at least I kept the unit, and I still have more old computers and parts than what is really healthy for a marriage).

Anyway, so these are the upgrades I've done:

• SoundBlaster 16 CT2230 (added in 1994)
  • Mitsumi FX240S 12-24X CD-ROM (closest match I had at hand)
  • Upgraded RAM to 16MB
  • Replaced flat CR2032
  • Replaced CPU with a 486DX2-66
  • Cleaned heads and lubricated FDD (reads disks mostly error free again)
  • Replaced HDD with an SD to IDE adapter
  • Added 3COM 3C509-TPO ethernet
  • XTIDE 8kB boot ROM (added to the ethernet card)
  • Lucked out, found an exact matching keyboard, that cleaned up really nice
  • Added 256kB L2 cache
  • Added 512kB VRAM
  • DreamBlaster S2 (added to the SB16)

This is what the setup looks like today (the table is actually the same as in 1994).

now.png
Filename
now.png
File size
469.04 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

Here she is, showing everything (the observant will notice the photo was taken before, or rather during some of the upgrades).

ambrasprinta2naked.png
Filename
ambrasprinta2naked.png
File size
568.1 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

I think I'm having as much fun tinkering with it now as I had back then!

Reply 1 of 10, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Cool, I didn't know Tom Hanks used VOGONs. (80's Tom Hanks, when he was funny)

I remember being bombarded with the Ambra commercials, but they disappeared rather quickly. I never understood why IBM pushed it when they already had the PS/1 line.
Although they were cheaper, they did have some pretty cool hardware though...using blue lightning CPUs and such. I have a dual P60 board that came out of an Ambra.

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium

Reply 2 of 10, by AmbraSprintaII

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Yeah, today I probably look more like Wilson (in Cast Away) 😀

I guess it wasn't a good idea to compete with your own products. And even then, it wasn't like it was a good deal either. I mean, there were certainly both more performant and cheaper machines.
But... I still have a soft spot for it. It's got a unique look to it and pretty compact. Plus it is really well built, and with some upgrades, a decent retro-rig.

Reply 4 of 10, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I think Ambra had a very advanced bezel design for the early 90s. It looked more like early 2000s with the white coloured plastic rather than beige. The floppy labia and power button were also pretty sharp.

I think if I had one of these, I would try to get components with an IBM FRU. I highly recommend Plextor CD-ROM drives with IBM FRU if you can still find them, though given their age they might be more of a decoration than a functional optical drive.

Attachments

• s-l1600 copy.jpg
    Filename
    s-l1600 copy.jpg
    File size
    176.65 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain

Reply 5 of 10, by AmbraSprintaII

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
chrismeyer6 wrote on 2022-04-28, 14:08:

Very nice setup and welcome to Vogons. It's quite the fun community here. Tons of information and helpful friendly users.

Thanks! Yes, I've many times ended up here already when searching for retro-PC related stuff!

Anonymous Coward wrote on 2022-04-29, 01:34:

I think Ambra had a very advanced bezel design for the early 90s. It looked more like early 2000s with the white coloured plastic rather than beige. The floppy labia and power button were also pretty sharp.

I think if I had one of these, I would try to get components with an IBM FRU. I highly recommend Plextor CD-ROM drives with IBM FRU if you can still find them, though given their age they might be more of a decoration than a functional optical drive.

I think so too.
I'm not overly concerned about correctness myself. I just want to relive my youth and I would for sure have put anything in that fitted, that I could have gotten my hands on then 😀

I find it interesting that the tower you posted, seem to have another color scheme than my machine. I know they had a few different models during their rather short span, but I can't find much information about Ambra at all when searching the web. The logo is obviously different as well. Was this a US vs. european thing or just that at some point in time they revised it?

Reply 6 of 10, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The best place to check for information would be in old issues of PC Magazine. I actually preferred PC-World, but I don't think those are available for free online.

I remember looking into Ambras a while back, and I found something that implied either Ambra was sold off to another company, or there was actually another Ambra brand that was completely unrelated to IBMs.

Okay, I found it. Zeos had a computer model named "Ambra", but it's not related to the IBM division which were actually rebadged Acers.

https://techmonitor.ai/technology/zeos_launch … ambra_pc_models

Reply 7 of 10, by AmbraSprintaII

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks! Unfortunately, that makes it pretty hard to find information.
Interesting info on Zeos though.

In other news, made another "upgrade" for my Ambra. A DIY SD card extension cable, epoxied to a hacked up random slot cover from the ol' junk pile.
Pretty it is not. But it is trivially reversible and it improves quality of life a lot.

sdext.png
Filename
sdext.png
File size
839.79 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0
sdext2.png
Filename
sdext2.png
File size
1.15 MiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

Reply 9 of 10, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

There will always be a special place in my heart for a proper winchester type hard drive, but sadly they are just not viable long term.
For solid state drives, I've been using compact flash, since they're basically already IDE and only require passive adapters.
Is SD on an old PC a relatively bug free experience?

Reply 10 of 10, by AmbraSprintaII

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
chrismeyer6 wrote on 2022-05-05, 13:26:

Great idea with the SD card slot.

Thanks, but it's not really my idea, SD card extensions are apparently pretty common in the 3D printing community.

Anonymous Coward wrote on 2022-05-05, 13:32:

There will always be a special place in my heart for a proper winchester type hard drive, but sadly they are just not viable long term.
For solid state drives, I've been using compact flash, since they're basically already IDE and only require passive adapters.
Is SD on an old PC a relatively bug free experience?

Yeah, I've got a CF in my Amiga 1200 😀
But CF are getting harder to find and more expensive, meanwhile SD to IDE adapters have been cloned by... Well, the usual suspects... And thus are really cheap now.
My laptop has a built in SD card adapter, while CF is now more complicated to work with on a modern PC.
So far it has been working awesomely for me.
Some have had issues installing Linux using these adapters. It seems that the firmware really expects the first primary partition to be a FAT partition (at least if it has a DOS partition table, because some use these with success on the Amiga). But if you know about this quirk, Linux should work fine as well if you just make sure to have a small FAT partition first.
I'm sure there are BIOSes that will not play nice with it or other edge cases that can sour the experience, but personally I have only had success. They are cheap enough that, like the gotek, it can't hurt to have a few around.