VOGONS

First post, by PcBytes

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Another build of mine. This was originally intended as a ceramic Athlon build, to replace the KX133 machine I initially had running in it. Unfortunately though, I had to settle for a green Duron 1600, as all my ceramic 462 chips seem to be kaput...

Anyways, specs:

MB - ECS K7VZA r3.0 w/ Shuttle BIOS (AK12A) - fully recapped with Rubycons (and I think two lone Sanyos as well...?)
CPU - AMD Duron 1600MHz
PSU - ANS LC-B400ATX (cherry-picked as I usually do, it is a safe 300-350W unit at this moment.)
Case - some JNC case I assembled from three other similar cases which were in various states of damage
RAM - 2x256MB PC133
GPU - ASUS FX5200 128MB
Sound -generic CMI 8738-6ch-LX (w/ Terratec Aureon drivers. An slight upgrade from the puny VIA soundchip onboard - unlike the P6VXA which went even lower w/ pre-Realtek merger Avance Logic soundchip...)
LAN - RTL8169C (though I might swap this for a standard 8139C, a KT133A build doesn't really see much benefit from a Gigabit card...)
HDD - IBM/Hitachi Deskstar 20GB PATA (from a scrapped IBM Netvista, and boy it almost rivals an angle grinder in loudness.)
ODD - some random Lite-On burner that is in dire need of a new belt
Misc - Philips 7131 based Mercury/Kobian TV Tuner.
OS - WinME 4.90.3000

Attachments

"Enter at your own peril, past the bolted door..."
Main PC: i5 3470, GB B75M-D3H, 16GB RAM, 2x1TB
98SE : P3 650, Soyo SY-6BA+IV, 384MB RAM, 80GB

Reply 1 of 31, by gerry

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
PcBytes wrote on 2022-06-10, 07:27:

Another build of mine. This was originally intended as a ceramic Athlon build, to replace the KX133 machine I initially had running in it. Unfortunately though, I had to settle for a green Duron 1600, as all my ceramic 462 chips seem to be kaput...

given the rest of the specs and OS i think a duron 1600 is a fine choice, there will be all kinds of late 90's to early 2000's capabilities! and the results looks smart too

Reply 3 of 31, by BinaryDemon

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Not that it makes any sense in a performance or budget scenario, but I’d look for a Duron 1800 just so I could call it “The Last Duron”.

Check out DOSBox Distro:

https://sites.google.com/site/dosboxdistro/ [*]

a lightweight Linux distro (tinycore) which boots off a usb flash drive and goes straight to DOSBox.

Make your dos retrogaming experience portable!

Reply 4 of 31, by PcBytes

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
TrashPanda wrote on 2022-06-10, 10:41:

Does Duron have the same heavy +5v requirements that Athlon XP does ?

Pretty sure it doesn't. If you thought of that because of that 40A rail on the PSU, it ain't even close to that 🤣. It has a 30A part from what I remember when recapping it, and the 12v should be a 20A rectifier if my memory serves me right.

I mean the Duron and Sempron were basically the Celerons of AMD's Socket 462 line, more or less. The Duron is basically as low power as a Celeron in terms of TDP.

BinaryDemon wrote on 2022-06-10, 10:56:

Not that it makes any sense in a performance or budget scenario, but I’d look for a Duron 1800 just so I could call it “The Last Duron”.

I'll definitely try a 1800 if I ever find one out in the wild. IIRC the K7VZA 3.0 does support some Athlon XPs as well, if I remember correctly (T-Bred A and B, as well as Palominos).

Reply 6 of 31, by ynopot

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Of course, everyone has their own opinion about what retro is. But for me personally, all this on a Pentium 4 and other high-frequency processors is all boring. For me, retro is not higher than Pentium 3 and AMD is not higher than 1GHz

Reply 7 of 31, by TrashPanda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
PcBytes wrote on 2022-06-10, 11:53:
Pretty sure it doesn't. If you thought of that because of that 40A rail on the PSU, it ain't even close to that lol. It has a 30 […]
Show full quote

Pretty sure it doesn't. If you thought of that because of that 40A rail on the PSU, it ain't even close to that 🤣. It has a 30A part from what I remember when recapping it, and the 12v should be a 20A rectifier if my memory serves me right.

I mean the Duron and Sempron were basically the Celerons of AMD's Socket 462 line, more or less. The Duron is basically as low power as a Celeron in terms of TDP.

I'll definitely try a 1800 if I ever find one out in the wild. IIRC the K7VZA 3.0 does support some Athlon XPs as well, if I remember correctly (T-Bred A and B, as well as Palominos).

Not really its just that I know that Athlon XP (Especially Barton class 3000+/3200+)likes to have a decent amperage on the +5v rail and since Duron essentially runs on the same platform I was curious if it too likes a heavy +5v rail. Its nice to know it doesnt need one and is happy enough with a more normal delivery.

I have an unlocked Barton 3200+that was picky about the PSU I tried to run it with, ended up using a 600watt Chinesium PSU that has 35 amps on the +5v rail and it seems happy enough with it, its also got a -5v rail too ...so if I ever find a 462 board with an ISA slot it could in theory run ISA sound cards that need the -5v rail.

Reply 8 of 31, by kitten.may.cry

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
TrashPanda wrote on 2022-06-10, 13:18:
PcBytes wrote on 2022-06-10, 11:53:
Pretty sure it doesn't. If you thought of that because of that 40A rail on the PSU, it ain't even close to that lol. It has a 30 […]
Show full quote

Not really its just that I know that Athlon XP (Especially Barton class 3000+/3200+)likes to have a decent amperage on the +5v rail and since Duron essentially runs on the same platform I was curious if it too likes a heavy +5v rail. Its nice to know it doesnt need one and is happy enough with a more normal delivery.

I have an unlocked Barton 3200+that was picky about the PSU I tried to run it with, ended up using a 600watt Chinesium PSU that has 35 amps on the +5v rail and it seems happy enough with it, its also got a -5v rail too ...so if I ever find a 462 board with an ISA slot it could in theory run ISA sound cards that need the -5v rail.

462 board with ISA and 3200+ support? Does that exist?

Reply 9 of 31, by Joseph_Joestar

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
kitten.may.cry wrote on 2022-06-10, 13:57:

462 board with ISA and 3200+ support? Does that exist?

Abit KT7A rev 1.3 possibly. There are a bunch of threads here about that board running various flavors of AthlonXP.

I have a rev 1.0 and the highest I ran in it was a 1700+ Thoroughbred B. But other people here with later board revisions have gone further than that.

PC#1: Pentium MMX 166 / Soyo SY-5BT / S3 Trio64V+ / Voodoo1 / YMF719 / AWE64 Gold / SC-155
PC#2: AthlonXP 2100+ / ECS K7VTA3 / Voodoo3 / Audigy2 / Vortex2
PC#3: Athlon64 3400+ / Asus K8V-MX / 5900XT / Audigy2
PC#4: i5-3570K / MSI Z77A-G43 / GTX 970 / X-Fi

Reply 10 of 31, by TrashPanda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I dont have such a board but there may be industrial solutions that support such a setup, I for sure would love a board with 3200+ and ISA but I know that if it does exist then itll be both super rare and super expensive.

That said a 1700+ would be ok too for a ISA rig.

Reply 11 of 31, by Hoping

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Years ago I used this guide https://web.archive.org/web/20150330212146/ht … _en/amd_pinmod/ force the multiplier and thus use an Athlon XP 2400 2000Mhz on a Compaq uWave KT133 motherboard.
The original multiplier is 15x133, changing it to 20x100, again you have 2000mhz.
It's that simple.
I need to save that guide somehow;)

Edit: the original page is still online https://www.ocinside.de/workshop_en/amd_pinmod/ but for some reason it doesn't work in the computer I'm using right now.🙁

Reply 12 of 31, by Kahenraz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I owned a very similar case to this in the 2000s. I remember the very distinct laziness on the part of the manufacturer where they just flipped the side panel upside down for the other side. This wouldn't be an issue except for the fact that they embossed a gigantic "Internet Explorer" logo onto it. So one side is upside-down.

Reply 14 of 31, by PcBytes

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Ydee wrote on 2022-06-11, 15:04:

Solid budget build in any case, but Your unhappy plant begs desperately for water, please..

They're my grandma's, and unfortunately, despite watering them almost daily, most of them except a Pelargonium, died.
That Pelagronium has close to about 17 years since it's been in our house and it never died.

Reply 17 of 31, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
PcBytes wrote on 2022-06-10, 07:27:
Another build of mine. This was originally intended as a ceramic Athlon build, to replace the KX133 machine I initially had runn […]
Show full quote

Anyways, specs:

MB - ECS K7VZA r3.0 w/ Shuttle BIOS (AK12A) - fully recapped with Rubycons (and I think two lone Sanyos as well...?)
CPU - AMD Duron 1600MHz
PSU - ANS LC-B400ATX (cherry-picked as I usually do, it is a safe 300-350W unit at this moment.)
Case - some JNC case I assembled from three other similar cases which were in various states of damage
RAM - 2x256MB PC133
GPU - ASUS FX5200 128MB
Sound -generic CMI 8738-6ch-LX (w/ Terratec Aureon drivers. An slight upgrade from the puny VIA soundchip onboard - unlike the P6VXA which went even lower w/ pre-Realtek merger Avance Logic soundchip...)
LAN - RTL8169C (though I might swap this for a standard 8139C, a KT133A build doesn't really see much benefit from a Gigabit card...)
HDD - IBM/Hitachi Deskstar 20GB PATA (from a scrapped IBM Netvista, and boy it almost rivals an angle grinder in loudness.)
ODD - some random Lite-On burner that is in dire need of a new belt
Misc - Philips 7131 based Mercury/Kobian TV Tuner.
OS - WinME 4.90.3000

Any idea how your ceramic CPUs are all dead? Or were those CPUs that you just hadn't tested yet?

Interesting, I never even thought of using a Duron in a sA SDRAM motherboard. I always ended up using either Thunderbirds or Palominos for these boards (also because I have few Durons, most systems here in The Netherlands seemed to contain Athlon XPs).

I'm somewhat surprised to see you mention the IBM/Hitachi Deskstar as a loud drive, or is it only loud if it does reads or writes?

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 18 of 31, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
kitten.may.cry wrote on 2022-06-10, 12:02:

Don't think I've seen too many ceramic Durons past 1400.

I'd be surprised if you seen even one.

Report spammers here!

Reply 19 of 31, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Kahenraz wrote on 2022-06-11, 18:15:

If you've been watering it daily, maybe you drowned it. My mom had me watch her plants for a week once, and I overwatered them all.

All my plants ended up dying eventually. I always thought it might have been the small pots, it leaves little room for any kind of stable uhh...climate control of the soil in the pot since there's so little volume causing water to either totally wet the soil or it becoming dry as a bone because all the water evaporates so easily and quickly.
But I already know that if I get any plants again, it's probably one I can use to make tea from 😜

Report spammers here!