Cost of living strikes!!!!

Topic actions

Reply 40 of 73, by schmatzler

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
RandomStranger wrote on 2022-07-19, 19:08:

If anyone can explain regarding energy, what's that insane anti-atomic energy stuff Germany pushes?

We are not really anti-atomic energy, we even run an experimental plasma reactor in Greifswald (Wendelstein 7-X).
But we recently had a government change and the previous leadership just ignored modern energy sources like solar energy or offshore wind parks completely, which has created an extreme dependency on other countries to supply us with gas and power, especially Russia.

We are very dependent on Russia at the moment and the short-term solution to have at least some alternatives is spinning up our old coal power stations. A lot of them have been shut down but are still standing. As far as I know reactor fuel also comes mostly from Russia so it wouldn't be a solution to just spin up more reactors, even if we had them.

Our new government isn't as backwards as the old one, so there will probably be benefits for investing in solar energy and heat pumps in the future, but it will take time to get the whole country supplied with that. Until then times will be hard. I've started to save the money I can spare to pay my energy bills at the end of the year. Some analysts say that prices might quadruple this year or worse, which is absolutely batsh*t crazy - and the result of decades-long neglect by our previous leadership. I also got an oil radiator so I don't have to heat up my room with gas this year and use as less power as I can.

"Windows 98's natural state is locked up"

Reply 41 of 73, by Digidreamer

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Ok. Curiosity sake. For Them AMD fanatics can recommend as a replacement for my NV gt 1030, restraints are half height and max 30watts

A few extra FPS for casual gaming

I Like Charity Shops, they're like steam and GOG but cheaper.

Windows 7 - HP730 Air cooled, 8Gb, GT1030
Windows 98se - Wyse V10LE 1.2Ghz, 1 Gb, 16Gb SSD
Windows 98se - Compaq Evo 550d SSF, P4 2Ghz, 1Gb, 60Gb(Partitioned)
Dos 6.2 - HP7510 512Mb, 4Gb

Reply 42 of 73, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Digidreamer wrote on 2022-07-21, 18:23:

Ok. Curiosity sake. For Them AMD fanatics can recommend as a replacement for my NV gt 1030, restraints are half height and max 30watts

A few extra FPS for casual gaming

No disrespect, but are you joking ?

EDIT : If you have PCIE 4.0 ( not sure if still worth it for PCIE 3.0 , as card is x4 ), an RX6400 with a TDP of 53 watts might be lowerable to 30 watts if downclocked enough while still being faster than a GT 1030 .

See https://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/AMD-RX- … 834749vsm283726

Reply 44 of 73, by matze79

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
schmatzler wrote on 2022-07-20, 00:40:

Our new government isn't as backwards as the old one, so there will probably be benefits for investing in solar energy and heat pumps in the future, but it will take time to get the whole country supplied with that. Until then times will be hard. I've started to save the money I can spare to pay my energy bills at the end of the year. Some analysts say that prices might quadruple this year or worse, which is absolutely batsh*t crazy - and the result of decades-long neglect by our previous leadership. I also got an oil radiator so I don't have to heat up my room with gas this year and use as less power as I can.

well they still don`t know what they do.
Living in their lobbyist dream world.

Your Chancellor is a Cancellor.
A absolute Failure of a Poltican.
CumEx Scholz.

it gets impossible to pay rents for a simple 2 room apartement here as normal handworker.

BRDigung is going on.
Germany is going to be the greatest laughter in the EU.

https://www.retrokits.de - blog, retro projects, hdd clicker, diy soundcards etc
https://www.retroianer.de - german retro computer board

Reply 45 of 73, by Digidreamer

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Integrated graphics was HD9000, gt 1030 beats it hands down and at lower watts.

Hp T730, AMD quad CPU, upto 3.6ghz, powered by brick, hence 30w as much as it can power, but does it all on less than 90w, horizon zero dawn can run just about playable. Around 25fps, older games gen around 60 FPS

Reply 46 of 73, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Digidreamer wrote on 2022-07-21, 22:32:

Integrated graphics was HD9000, gt 1030 beats it hands down and at lower watts.

Hp T730, AMD quad CPU, upto 3.6ghz, powered by brick, hence 30w as much as it can power, but does it all on less than 90w, horizon zero dawn can run just about playable. Around 25fps, older games gen around 60 FPS

Short of macgyvering something externally or waiting/hoping for the next GPU gen, you probably have the best you can expect to get.

There is also no guarantee that next gen entry level GPU will be under 30 watts. As integrated graphics improves, to be worthwhile to bring to market to compete, an external GPU usable for gaming could well need more tjan 30 watts. Your use case is a bit niche and thus unlikely to be targeted expressly by GPU makers, IMHO

Reply 47 of 73, by Digidreamer

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Was using a gtx 660 on a beast exp GDC v8.5 via m.2 connection stuttery, system lock @ 200+ FPS test, think it was the bottle neck issue.

Experimenting on a Lenovo m92p tiny at moment, going to try the gtx 660 eGPU, on Intel CPU/chipset.

Want to try NV 3d vision on the iwear headset.

Reply 48 of 73, by khyypio

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
schmatzler wrote on 2022-07-20, 00:40:
We are not really anti-atomic energy, we even run an experimental plasma reactor in Greifswald (Wendelstein 7-X). But we recentl […]
Show full quote
RandomStranger wrote on 2022-07-19, 19:08:

If anyone can explain regarding energy, what's that insane anti-atomic energy stuff Germany pushes?

We are not really anti-atomic energy, we even run an experimental plasma reactor in Greifswald (Wendelstein 7-X).
But we recently had a government change and the previous leadership just ignored modern energy sources like solar energy or offshore wind parks completely, which has created an extreme dependency on other countries to supply us with gas and power, especially Russia.

We are very dependent on Russia at the moment and the short-term solution to have at least some alternatives is spinning up our old coal power stations. A lot of them have been shut down but are still standing. As far as I know reactor fuel also comes mostly from Russia so it wouldn't be a solution to just spin up more reactors, even if we had them.

I thought this whole energy problem you´re facing in Germany stems from that jackass Gerhard Schröder...?

Reply 49 of 73, by schmatzler

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
khyypio wrote on 2022-07-22, 09:09:

I thought this whole energy problem you´re facing in Germany stems from that jackass Gerhard Schröder...?

That's way too generalized. He was a very Russia-friendly chancellor, but that was ages ago.

There would've been more than enough time for the previous government to turn things around, but they were just twiddling their thumbs. I see the fault in CDU/CSU mainly.

"Windows 98's natural state is locked up"

Reply 51 of 73, by matze79

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Well they just did what industry demanded, cheap energy.
So you see, lobbyism works great in germany.

Now amercia got what they wanted, selling their ultra expensive fracking gas to germany.
Export Enviromental Damage, Wash your country green.

Democracy in Germany means that you end up with compromisses that satisfy no one.

You can elect from different shapes of ****.
But in the end it stays ****.
Thats how german elections work.
The most boring election campaign in the world.

In the end they just join together and you get also what you didnt elect.

Oskar Lafontaine once said: We don`t live in a Democracy, we live in a oligarchy.
https://youtu.be/nocS-cD4whE
And he is right, really the Partys are only lobbying representatives and populists.

Welcome to Germany, the Land where 10 Percent of People own 60 Procent of all assets.
Ascending trend.

i can stand in middle of the city and still have no good working mobile internet.
Another Goverment failure.
Instead of giving free to use access to mobile frequencys, they auction them for exorbitant sums.
In the end to cover costs, the customer is bleeding.
The result of greedy government fees.

Or we must pay to export power to austria and other countrys, they store it with pump storages.
If there is power shortage they sell it back to us.
Instead of building power storages yourself.

The List of Failures is so long, no one can understand it anymore.
We really need a complete reform.
The old ways are dead, but they don`t want to acknowledge that.
What worked 50 Years ago, does not work in globalized world anymore.

https://www.retrokits.de - blog, retro projects, hdd clicker, diy soundcards etc

Reply 52 of 73, by chrismeyer6

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
matze79 wrote on 2022-07-22, 17:39:
Well they just did what industry demanded, cheap energy. So you see, lobbyism works great in germany. […]
Show full quote

Well they just did what industry demanded, cheap energy.
So you see, lobbyism works great in germany.

Now amercia got what they wanted, selling their ultra expensive fracking gas to germany.
Export Enviromental Damage, Wash your country green.

Democracy in Germany means that you end up with compromisses that satisfy no one.

You can elect from different shapes of ****.
But in the end it stays ****.
Thats how german elections work.
The most boring election campaign in the world.

In the end they just join together and you get also what you didnt elect.

Oskar Lafontaine once said: We don`t live in a Democracy, we live in a oligarchy.
https://youtu.be/nocS-cD4whE
And he is right, really the Partys are only lobbying representatives and populists.

Welcome to Germany, the Land where 10 Percent of People own 60 Procent of all assets.
Ascending trend.

i can stand in middle of the city and still have no good working mobile internet.
Another Goverment failure.
Instead of giving free to use access to mobile frequencys, they auction them for exorbitant sums.
In the end to cover costs, the customer is bleeding.
The result of greedy government fees.

Or we must pay to export power to austria and other countrys, they store it with pump storages.
If there is power shortage they sell it back to us.
Instead of building power storages yourself.

The List of Failures is so long, no one can understand it anymore.
We really need a complete reform.
The old ways are dead, but they don`t want to acknowledge that.
What worked 50 Years ago, does not work in globalized world anymore.

That sounds just like her in the States. I love how people here fight about which party is best but in the end behind closed doors they work together to bleed every penny out of us that they possibly can. It's all eye service in front of the camera and rob us blind in their chambers where the cameras aren't. All the while our members of Congress and Senate get richer and we get less and less from our self serving government.

Reply 53 of 73, by Warlord

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

certainly this isn't a good place to talk about politics becasue most people don't know anything about politics or the politicians they vote for. they don't even know much about the things they believe in, all they know is what they are told and they just go along with it. Its a waste of time and energy to try and change anyones mind about anything, becasue if you could do that than they wouldn't vote for bad policies, yet they do and later want to complain about the consequences and try blame everyone else. rather than to ever admit theyre wrong about anything they'll just move the goal posts like they always do and go with the next talking point.

Reply 54 of 73, by matze79

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

A good idea.
We anyway will not change something with such a discussion.

If you have a balkony its maybe a good idea to lower your electric bill by buying some solarpanels and a small inverter.
It certainly doesn't make you self-sufficient, but it does reduce the bill.
If they can only cover the base load for a few hours, it's a win.

Reply 55 of 73, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
matze79 wrote on 2022-07-23, 21:27:
A good idea. We anyway will not change something with such a discussion. […]
Show full quote

A good idea.
We anyway will not change something with such a discussion.

If you have a balkony its maybe a good idea to lower your electric bill by buying some solarpanels and a small inverter.
It certainly doesn't make you self-sufficient, but it does reduce the bill.
If they can only cover the base load for a few hours, it's a win.

I have been considering doing exactly this, not so much much to reduce power bills, but mainly to have some degree of autonomy in case of power failures .

Reply 56 of 73, by Digidreamer

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Got a couple, around 400w, good feeling to see the wheel on the meter stop moving. Even for a short time..

Although short lived, putting power back for nothing not so good, could never get it to add up. If i sold it to the power company. They would pay me 3p a unit, but when I need it back, it costs 26p a unit. Then the feeling goes away....

Reply 57 of 73, by matze79

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Seems you need some storage for the dark period 😀

Reply 58 of 73, by zapbuzz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'd like everyone to enjoy free energy Nicola Tesla style. Just pay for distribution. A regulated system people would want to be part of than all the risks of coal, oil and nuclear.

Reply 59 of 73, by TrashPanda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
zapbuzz wrote on 2022-07-25, 11:00:

I'd like everyone to enjoy free energy Nicola Tesla style. Just pay for distribution. A regulated system people would want to be part of than all the risks of coal, oil and nuclear.

Sadly a power system like that simply wouldn't work with how current Cities and Countries are designed, we have far to much metal sitting up in the air to make it work the way Tesla intended.

We could perhaps work it differently and restrict it to shorter distances and provide low power delivery say for mobile devices or trickle charging electric vehicles but high power transmission over the air would cause significant issues. Issues that as of now we have no way to circumvent without massive costs and restructuring to accommodate said high voltage transmission safely.