VOGONS

Cost of living strikes!!!!

Topic actions

Reply 60 of 73, by stege

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

38W altogether, Internet connected DOS machine.

DSC_5763 small.jpg
Filename
DSC_5763 small.jpg
File size
459.02 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0
DSC_5759 small.jpg
Filename
DSC_5759 small.jpg
File size
386.16 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

Miss the Monkey Island days, the Space Quest days, even The Longest Journey days.

Reply 62 of 73, by stege

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
chrismeyer6 wrote on 2022-07-26, 10:20:

That's a cool setup. What's the specs of it?

In my heart, that's a 486 DX4 100 with 16MB Ram, 1GB hard drive, 3.5 Floppy, CD-Rom 4x, Sound Blaster Awe32 and a wonderful Sony 17" CRT.
In reality, it's a dual core Athlon 1GHz, 1GB Ram, 8GB SSD, ATI something video card, wifi, LAN. Plus the Sony S71 TFT.

Miss the Monkey Island days, the Space Quest days, even The Longest Journey days.

Reply 63 of 73, by Digidreamer

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Nice. Looks smaller than my t5710.

Respect..

I Like Charity Shops, they're like steam and GOG but cheaper.

Windows 7 - HP730 Air cooled, 8Gb, GT1030
Windows 98se - Wyse V10LE 1.2Ghz, 1 Gb, 16Gb SSD
Windows 98se - Compaq Evo 550d SSF, P4 2Ghz, 1Gb, 60Gb(Partitioned)
Dos 6.2 - HP7510 512Mb, 4Gb

Reply 64 of 73, by Yawnald

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Some of you guys are acting like you're being forced to use power hungry components. Just because they exist doesn't mean you're being forced to purchase/use them. I'm of the opinion that the more compute power I can have locally, the better. I guess guys like me are in the rapidly shrinking minority...

Griping about power usage pretty much goes against everything we do here. We can do a whole lot more within a certain power limit with modern hardware than with vintage hardware, yet we don't. That's because we're enthusiasts. That used to mean something.

Mr. Tualatin

Reply 65 of 73, by creepingnet

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Yawnald wrote on 2022-07-28, 23:13:

Some of you guys are acting like you're being forced to use power hungry components. Just because they exist doesn't mean you're being forced to purchase/use them. I'm of the opinion that the more compute power I can have locally, the better. I guess guys like me are in the rapidly shrinking minority...

Griping about power usage pretty much goes against everything we do here. We can do a whole lot more within a certain power limit with modern hardware than with vintage hardware, yet we don't. That's because we're enthusiasts. That used to mean something.

I agree, I had a marshall stack of hardware in the 00's and it barely hurt the electrical bill any....I called it the "Marshall Stack of Vintage Computing" because it was a literal stack of old PCs on a 6 port Belkin AT/Serial/PS2 KVM. I think maybe there was a $10 difference in the month I had all six run all month (in the winter no less, so I think some of the savings was not needing a heater 🤣 )

TOP TO BOTTOM
Pentium III in AT Case: Intel D815EPV Socket 370 w/ PIII 667MHz, 384MB RAM, 80GB, Windows 98 SE
Pentium in XT Case: Pentium 200 MMX SS7, 64MB RAM, 20GB HDD, Linux RedHat Cartman 6.1
486 DX4-100: ZEOS Motherboard, 587 TurboCache, 24MB RAM, 540/320/150MB HDDs, DOS/WFW311
Compaq Deskpro 386: 386/16, 387, 2MB RAM, 60MB Type17HDD, VGA, DOS 6.22
Compaq Deskpro 286: 286/12, 287, 1MB RAM, 40MB MFM, VGA, DOS 6.22
Turbo XT-Clone: 8088-2, 640K RAM, 30MB RLL x2, VGA, DOS 5.00

~The Creeping Network~
My Youtube Channel - https://www.youtube.com/creepingnet
Creepingnet's World - https://creepingnet.neocities.org/
The Creeping Network Repo - https://www.geocities.ws/creepingnet2019/

Reply 66 of 73, by pentiumspeed

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I was trolling the ebay looking at Ryzen Pro series especially 5000 series and 4000 series as my only requirement is ECC memory as this prevents row hammer vulnerability and reliability and liked that more as I hardly use GPU card on web browsing. And less heat during summer too. Just a motherboard, 65W Ryzen 8 core with high end iGPU Pro model and Seasonic PSU and pair of DDR4 3200 ECC 64GB for this task sound good. Also toss in classic PT Pro/1000 intel NIC too.

This is future plan I'm think about.

Cheers,

Great Northern aka Canada.

Reply 67 of 73, by TrashPanda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
pentiumspeed wrote on 2022-08-13, 00:17:

I was trolling the ebay looking at Ryzen Pro series especially 5000 series and 4000 series as my only requirement is ECC memory as this prevents row hammer vulnerability and reliability and liked that more as I hardly use GPU card on web browsing. And less heat during summer too. Just a motherboard, 65W Ryzen 8 core with high end iGPU Pro model and Seasonic PSU and pair of DDR4 3200 ECC 64GB for this task sound good. Also toss in classic PT Pro/1000 intel NIC too.

This is future plan I'm think about.

Cheers,

All Ryzen CPUs support ECC not just the pro series, however you also need the motherboard to support it too, not much point in getting a pro chip if the board its on doesnt support ECC.

Also . .not even sure why you would be worried about Row Hammer.

Edit - just realized you want an Igpu thus the pro requirement, this list might be helpful

https://www.asus.com/global/support/FAQ/1045186/ - Ignore the fact its an Asus page, the information comes from AMD, in reality as long as you have a B550 or X570 board youll have ECC support.

Reply 68 of 73, by pentiumspeed

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Thank you so much for tips. Even with row hammer, I appreciate the ECC memory as I have a Z220 as my daily driver with windows 10, for almost 5 years and hiccups is very rare. Before this, all my computers had issues before that, even well behaved optiplex 780 with windows 10 had bit more crashes.

The most reliable I had were Pentium 100 with Asus boards (two boards, first one lost super i/o chipset to ESD shock which later replaced that chip). and P2B with PII 350. Then too many crashes with Athlon which I replaced then with optiplex 780 long ago.

Cheers,

Reply 69 of 73, by Errius

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I once experienced a nasty data corruption problem due to bad memory. During file copy operations involving large files (c. 1 GB), there would always be a few single-bit errors in the copy. I always create SFV checksums for important data files, else I would never have caught the problem. I traced it to a faulty memory module.

I imagine this is how most 'bit rot' occurs.

Is this too much voodoo?

Reply 70 of 73, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
TrashPanda wrote:

in reality as long as you have a B550 or X570 board youll have ECC support.

Well, no. While all B550 and X570 can work with ECC memory, not all of them can enable error correction in UEFI for normal Ryzens.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 71 of 73, by pentiumspeed

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I had few cases where bad memory happened, once on video card (then repaired), and on several computers. Hence my preference for ECC for my main computers, again OEM memory modules. For other computers that does not support ECC, I use OEM brand memory modules, the ones with genuine brand and part number sticker on the modules, not from Chinese sellers. While ago, I tried few times from Chinese all of them were duplicates in SPD and labels also has same s/n.

Use CPU-Z and CPUID's HWmonitor to check SPD and some memory modules have temperature reporting.

Cheers,

Reply 72 of 73, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
pentiumspeed wrote on 2022-08-14, 16:25:

I had few cases where bad memory happened, once on video card (then repaired), and on several computers. Hence my preference for ECC for my main computers, again OEM memory modules. For other computers that does not support ECC, I use OEM brand memory modules, the ones with genuine brand and part number sticker on the modules, not from Chinese sellers. While ago, I tried few times from Chinese all of them were duplicates in SPD and labels also has same s/n.

Use CPU-Z and CPUID's HWmonitor to check SPD and some memory modules have temperature reporting.

Cheers,

I actually bought some generic DDR2 800 2GB DIMMs from China about 5ish years ago. The SPDs were obviously bogus (Kingston or something), but not invalid. They passed memtest at default timings @800MHz and at least 2 of them are still in use in dual channel mode with no issues. My guess is that they were rebuilds with chips salvaged from DIMMs with at least one bad chip.

Reply 73 of 73, by pentiumspeed

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Actually SIMMs themselves with chips like these were pretty good, PCB and soldering quality is very good, but authenticity of trust guarantee of quality, condition of chips (was it from failed batch or sub-par chips sold on open market or not?), is not there since there are evident of duplicated serial in SPD and on the stickers. From several DIMMs from that Chinese sources, one actually failed.
Plus tried to buy and had to return four 4GB DDR3-1866 ECC modules as they were not serialized and used wrong SPD made clocking the modules identified wrong and run at wrong clocking.

For this reason of trustworthiness, I stopped purchasing from Chinese sellers with some items including memory modules. For some sundry stuff that is not too critical, like fans in generally are pretty good but I had rarely got substituted for another even with correct label but fan itself is wrong one. Eg Delta fan with San ace label, so on. So I instructed sellers to ship what is exactly as shown.

My background of this came from sources I worked with when I was working for computer businesses back in the day. Remember, memory stuff is very valuable and people are known to remark or buy seconds on the open market. The memory makers that makes them does not sell them directly, and to get quality chips these buyers had to be bound by their conditions what they are used in their boards and motherboards due to makers of memory chips are not interested seeing their chips sold to another without authorization. Same with wholesalers, also they have relationship with businesses and they expect them to have markups on each exchange with another businesses. Very touchy relationships. For example, if someone was found out by other wholesalers that guy was able to get stuff and sell at less expense (too small or no markups), and then wholesalers will refuse to deal with this business in the future.

Cheers,