VOGONS

First post, by leonardo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Nickname: Underdog

• Case: FINTEK Computer (Pentium)
  • Power supply: Fortron/FSP Group ATX-300GTF
  • Motherboard: ASUS A7V-E, Rev. 1.01 (Socket A, VIA KT133)
  • Processor: AMD Athlon 1.2 GHz 'Thunderbird' (12x100)
  • Memory: 256 MB PC133 SD-RAM
  • Video card(s): Sapphire Radeon 9200 AGP (ATi RV280, 128MB)
  • Monitor(s): NOKIA 710C 17" CRT
  • Sound card(s): Diamond Sonic Impact S90 (Aureal Vortex)
  • Storage: Seagate U Series X 20 GB HDD
  • Removable(s): ~ 1.44 MB 3.5" + Samsung SW-252F & HP CD-Writer cd16r
  • Connectivity: 3Com EtherLink 10/100 TX
  • HIDs: Nokia AF51100 AT-keyboard and Logitech M-S34 mouse

Brief description
A parts surplus build. I don't even remember how the case (FINTEK Computer) ended up in my possession but I thought I was going to use it for another Intel 440BX-based setup, much like my previous one. However, several turns of event left me with what I would have considered undesirable "second choice" parts. The VIA KT133-based motherboard and Athlon CPU were a give-away by someone who was going to junk them, but as they were still feasible for Windows 95, I had to investigate if I could make use of them. The Radeon 9200 was left-over from a previous upgrade attempt, originally cast aside due to lack of official Windows 95-support. Since then though, drivers turned up that gave us working Direct3D hardware acceleration all the way up to Radeon 9800 Pro on Windows 95!

underdog_profile.jpg
Filename
underdog_profile.jpg
File size
125.82 KiB
Views
File comment
System profile
File license
Public domain

Build log / hardware & software updates

Update on Sep 6, 2022

Finally figured out how to get OSR2 set up and run proper on this system! I was beginning to lose hope after spending almost two days performing experiments that made me relive the bad old days with Windows. The end-result is a reason to celebrate; a system that challenges my Pentium III-build in performance, and is a viable alternative to someone who wants a late 90's/early 2000's compatible game-setup. Granted, the current lack of OpenGL with the Radeon-based cards does limit some games to software rendering, but most have Direct3D/DirectDraw compatible renderers and so this is not as big of a downside as it could be. In 16-bit mode, the system outperforms my P3+GF3 combo, but in 32-bit the results are reversed by a similar margin.

3DMark2000 Benchmarks:
CPU @ 1.2 GHz (12x100), Sapphire Radeon 9200 AGP (1024x768x16): 7480 points
CPU @ 1.2 GHz (12x100), Sapphire Radeon 9200 AGP (1024x768x32): 6808 points

under-wip.jpg
Filename
under-wip.jpg
File size
71.3 KiB
Views
File comment
System profile while tests/build still underway
File license
Public domain
Update on Sep 7, 2022

I had to replace the other Hewlett-Packard optical drive because it was wreaking havoc on the IDE bus. Must have been a bad controller or something. The drive would refuse to operate in DMA-mode and the system was occasionally acting unstable when it was connected.

Update on Sep 10, 2022

Stability tests conclude. The CPU temperature seems to hover around 50°C when idle to about 60°C after an hour or so of stress-testing. It's not amazing, but also not bad for a setup that has a rather small heatsink and is probably still using the original thermal pad/paste from when it was originally put together (I have not removed the heatsink). I will keep my eye out for a nice copper-cooler I could use instead. If I find one, I will also get a chance to swap the thermal paste.

Last edited by leonardo on 2022-10-12, 09:23. Edited 5 times in total.

[Install Win95 like you were born in 1985!] on systems like this or this.

Reply 1 of 14, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I like it 😀
I at one time build something similar, a 1200MHz Thunderbird (also 12*100MHz) on an ASUS A7V with some spare GF MX card iirc.
You didn't add a case exhaust fan?

Feel free to add more pics of the insides 🙂

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 2 of 14, by leonardo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Tetrium wrote on 2022-09-08, 10:12:
I like it :) I at one time build something similar, a 1200MHz Thunderbird (also 12*100MHz) on an ASUS A7V with some spare GF MX […]
Show full quote

I like it 😀
I at one time build something similar, a 1200MHz Thunderbird (also 12*100MHz) on an ASUS A7V with some spare GF MX card iirc.
You didn't add a case exhaust fan?

Feel free to add more pics of the insides 🙂

I like it the more I play with it. The Radeon is killing it in Direct3D-mode in UT/Deus Ex, or basically any game I choose to throw at it, even at higher resolutions. It's shocking that it goes head to head with a GeForce 3 while obviously being much less demanding power/heat-wise. Just look at that tiny heatsink they put on it:

underdog_cablerouting_pt1.jpg
Filename
underdog_cablerouting_pt1.jpg
File size
195.16 KiB
Views
File comment
Expansion card profiles
File license
Public domain

Here's a better side-view of the case internals while I've been cleaning it up today:

underdog_cablerouting_pt2.jpg
Filename
underdog_cablerouting_pt2.jpg
File size
113.43 KiB
Views
File comment
Case internals side-view
File license
Public domain

Despite little heat being generated by other components, the Athlons run toasty. Thunderbirds especially were kind of notorious, so I decided to fit the case with a Nexus 80mm exhaust, as well as replace the CPU fan with an identical pair. For the CPU it's not a perfect fit, because the heatsink is smaller in size, but I managed the mount regardless:

underdog_cablerouting_pt3.jpg
Filename
underdog_cablerouting_pt3.jpg
File size
133.2 KiB
Views
File comment
Cooling arrangement
File license
Public domain

I stashed much of the excess cables up by the opticals, where they likely wont't bother anybody:

underdog_cablerouting_pt4.jpg
Filename
underdog_cablerouting_pt4.jpg
File size
86.84 KiB
Views
File comment
Excess power-cable hideout
File license
Public domain

Reply 3 of 14, by leonardo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Oh yeah, and here's the updated front with the "new" Samsung SW-252F CD-RW drive I got to replace one of the HP ones:

underdog_optical-swap.jpg
Filename
underdog_optical-swap.jpg
File size
71.94 KiB
Views
File comment
Underdog front fascia
File license
Public domain

Next I will be closing the case up and seeing if the fan-arrangement is enough to cool the system that it won't go up in smoke, and secondly that I will ever want to turn it on with the amount of noise fans tend to generate...

Reply 4 of 14, by leonardo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

As a sidenote to those who are looking for good optical drives to put into their retro-builds, the Samsung SW-252F has excellent read-performance. I have an older game disc that is in pretty bad shape. It utilizes audio tracks for in-game music, and weaker drives will skip or stutter during playback of certain tracks. The Samsung drive handles this disc as if there was nothing wrong with it.

edit: Included firmware version R806 as well as the SFDNDOS.EXE flash-utility as an attachment, since these were a bit of pain to find.

Attachments

• Filename
    SW-252F.zip
    File size
    272.98 KiB
    Downloads
    78 downloads
    File comment
    SW-252F R806 firmware
    File license
    Public domain
Last edited by leonardo on 2022-09-11, 07:29. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 5 of 14, by Joseph_Joestar

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I had a similar rig back in the early 2000s, except my GPU was a GeForce 2 MX400.

You would probably get slightly better performance with such a period correct Nvidia card and early drivers like 7.76 since they don't have that much CPU overhead.

PC#1: Pentium MMX 166 / Soyo SY-5BT / S3 Trio64V+ / Voodoo1 / YMF719 / AWE64 Gold / SC-155
PC#2: AthlonXP 2100+ / ECS K7VTA3 / Voodoo3 / Audigy2 / Vortex2
PC#3: Athlon64 3400+ / Asus K8V-MX / 5900XT / Audigy2
PC#4: i5-3570K / MSI Z77A-G43 / GTX 970 / X-Fi

Reply 6 of 14, by stef80

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Great rig, sensible components, and not "underdog" at all. Radeon 9200 is probably around GF3 performance wise. Most of them had DVI, unlike GeForce.
And yes, GeForce2 Pro and MX usually went with ~1GHz Pentiums III and Athlons.

Reply 7 of 14, by leonardo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Joseph_Joestar wrote on 2022-09-10, 09:49:

I had a similar rig back in the early 2000s, except my GPU was a GeForce 2 MX400.

You would probably get slightly better performance with such a period correct Nvidia card and early drivers like 7.76 since they don't have that much CPU overhead.

I actually started my tests with an MX400, but it just runs out of steam at 1024x768 in Unreal Tournament, for example. The Radeon just runs laps around it. It's more closely matched in performance to a GeForce 3. The GeForce 2 MX is a great card for some of these older comps, though - don't get me wrong! The one thing that a GeForce would bring that would be nice to have with the Radeon is working OpenGL...

...and yes, I know about paletted textures and table-fog.

stef80 wrote on 2022-09-10, 10:07:

Great rig, sensible components, and not "underdog" at all. Radeon 9200 is probably around GF3 performance wise.

Well... I decided on the name based on the fact that the system is built around AMD, VIA and ATi, rather than Intel, Intel & nVidia - as is often popular. Right you are though, the underdog packs some punch. 😉

Reply 8 of 14, by Joseph_Joestar

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
leonardo wrote on 2022-09-10, 10:35:

I actually started my tests with an MX400, but it just runs out of steam at 1024x768 in Unreal Tournament, for example.

Yeah, that sounds about right. Performance wise, the MX400 should be roughly equal to the original GeForce from 1999. A GeForce 2 GTS would open up some of those higher resolutions, but I'm not sure if it would outdo the Radeon 9200, and it's definitively more costly. If your 9200 has a 128-bit memory bus, then its performance is indeed in the ballpark of a GeForce 3.

...and yes, I know about paletted textures and table-fog.

On the plus side, you have EMBM support on the Radeon 9200. With an Nvidia card, you would need a GeForce 3 or higher to get that feature.

PC#1: Pentium MMX 166 / Soyo SY-5BT / S3 Trio64V+ / Voodoo1 / YMF719 / AWE64 Gold / SC-155
PC#2: AthlonXP 2100+ / ECS K7VTA3 / Voodoo3 / Audigy2 / Vortex2
PC#3: Athlon64 3400+ / Asus K8V-MX / 5900XT / Audigy2
PC#4: i5-3570K / MSI Z77A-G43 / GTX 970 / X-Fi

Reply 9 of 14, by Bruno128

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Great build. Interestingly it runs 95. Is there a compatible hw monitoring utility such as CoreTemp that also works with 95?

Now playing: Red Faction on 2003 Acrylic build

SBEMU compatibility reports

Reply 10 of 14, by leonardo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Bruno128 wrote on 2022-10-11, 23:00:

Great build. Interestingly it runs 95. Is there a compatible hw monitoring utility such as CoreTemp that also works with 95?

I have not looked into hardware monitoring utilities for Windows 95 (mainly because most of my hardware has little in the way of sensors), but I would be happy to hear recommendations!

If I find a good one, I'll be sure to append my guide with it.

Reply 11 of 14, by Jasin Natael

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have a Radeon 9250 with a 128bit memory bus.
I find that it sits between my Radeon 7500 and Geforce 2 GTS, depending on the game/benchmark.
Definitley not as fast as a my FireGL 8800 using Radeon 8500 drivers.
But mine doesn't have that high of a core speed, and will not overclock at all.

I have a Athlon 1400c build but I haven't tried this card in that build, only in the PII 1GHZ build. Perhaps I should see how it performs sometime.

Reply 13 of 14, by Bruno128

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

HWiNFO32 is 95-compatible since v.6.24. Question is whether software would be able to access the reading from 95. This Asus m/b almost certainly has at least some h/w monitoring. Being a 5V VRM s462 board I think checking on voltages once in a while won't hurt.

Now playing: Red Faction on 2003 Acrylic build

SBEMU compatibility reports

Reply 14 of 14, by leonardo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
A001 wrote on 2022-10-13, 13:00:

Case either looks to be a donation of mine or they all yellow the same way?

Could be - I honestly don't remember! Small world, huh? 😁

Jasin Natael wrote on 2022-10-12, 16:48:
I have a Radeon 9250 with a 128bit memory bus. I find that it sits between my Radeon 7500 and Geforce 2 GTS, depending on the g […]
Show full quote

I have a Radeon 9250 with a 128bit memory bus.
I find that it sits between my Radeon 7500 and Geforce 2 GTS, depending on the game/benchmark.
Definitely not as fast as a my FireGL 8800 using Radeon 8500 drivers.
But mine doesn't have that high of a core speed, and will not overclock at all.

I have a Athlon 1400c build but I haven't tried this card in that build, only in the PII 1GHZ build. Perhaps I should see how it performs sometime.

I'll use your comment as a convenient excuse to rant on how both nVidia and ATi started doing "tiers" in their graphics card names - something I absolutely dislike.

It does not make sense to me that a Radeon 9000 is faster than a 9200, or that a 9250 is slower still!
A bigger number should mean better performance! 😉

I could sort of understand the naming convention behind GeForce Ti vs MX, or Radeon xxxx Pro vs non-Pro, but good lot of non-tech savvy consumers bought graphics cards with ludicrous names only to find the graphics cards they bought were barely faster than their previous one, or were even slower in some cases...

Bruno128 wrote on 2022-10-13, 14:08:

HWiNFO32 is 95-compatible since v.6.24. Question is whether software would be able to access the reading from 95. This Asus m/b almost certainly has at least some h/w monitoring. Being a 5V VRM s462 board I think checking on voltages once in a while won't hurt.

You know what, I do remember that HWiNFO has some monitoring features built-in, even though I've mainly used it for gathering system information. I would prefer an ultra-light tray-utility of sorts. Something that would alert for HDD S.M.A.R.T. issues, or trip on customizable temperature/fan/voltage values as well as allow fast viewing of said values on-demand...

I know some people like to have their monitoring apps like the console of a nuclear power plant, but I'm rather interested in lightness and minimalism - especially considering that a lot of hardware that runs Windows 95 really doesn't have the system resources to spare. Maybe this build can handle something a bit heavier, but I still like my setups really lean...