VOGONS

First post, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

This is a budget PC that was part of their "Essential" line of computers and came with a C400 on a Intel "freeman" S370 ZX motherboard with onboard ATI Rage 128VR for Video and AudioPCI 1373 sound.
Part# 4000440
Is anyone familiar with this motherboard and what the fastest CPU supported is? Problem is the computer is on the other side of the world so I can't do much investigation of my own.

thanks!

Reply 1 of 4, by PC Hoarder Patrol

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
chinny22 wrote on 2022-09-28, 17:06:
This is a budget PC that was part of their "Essential" line of computers and came with a C400 on a Intel "freeman" S370 ZX mot […]
Show full quote

This is a budget PC that was part of their "Essential" line of computers and came with a C400 on a Intel "freeman" S370 ZX motherboard with onboard ATI Rage 128VR for Video and AudioPCI 1373 sound.
Part# 4000440
Is anyone familiar with this motherboard and what the fastest CPU supported is? Problem is the computer is on the other side of the world so I can't do much investigation of my own.

thanks!

Seems to be a Gateway OEM version of the Intel FJ440ZX - https://theretroweb.com/motherboards/s/intel-fj440zx-fiji - the Intel spec update says support upto Celeron 500 although the latest Gateway BIOS (P09 attached) only specifically mentions as far as Celeron 466.

Filename
vp09.exe
File size
705.88 KiB
Downloads
39 downloads
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 2 of 4, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Ah man, was hoping for confirmed reports of it running at 1Ghz. May still get cheap Celeron 1Ghz and try my luck.
Manuals were very helpful though thanks! answers few questions I had about the board for when we were next reunited

Reply 4 of 4, by PC Hoarder Patrol

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
domobot wrote on 2023-12-26, 03:22:

Apologies for the necro but I also have a 400c I've been tinkering with. Did you have any luck with the processor upgrade?

As the board is fixed at 66MHz FSB, max processor options are limited (probably 500 / 533 MHz Mendocino). Beyond BIOS P04 all processor speeds & voltage settings are detected automatically so later family processors probably wont even boot.