An EPIC Single Socket-8 Build

Topic actions

Reply 140 of 156, by kixs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Sphere478 wrote on 2023-01-27, 19:17:

Okay, test with audigy :p probably will still tell us something!

I needed to install Win98 as it looks there is no drivers for Win95?!

So testing on Windows 98SE, Pentium Pro 1MB 233Mhz, 128MB EDO, Voodoo5 5500 PCI

Q3A demo, max settings @ 800x600:

27.3 ... No sound
25.1 ... Audigy SB0230
24.7 ... AWE32 CT3980
24.5 ... SBlive! SB0060

Requests are also possible... /msg kixs

Reply 141 of 156, by Paadam

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
ChrisK wrote on 2023-01-27, 15:07:

Sure, a P3 is always better than a PPro, but a P3 everyone can have. And there isn't something like a Pentium 3 Pro, is it?
In the end it's just something a little more uncommon to have some fun with and when you are done you put it back in it's boxes for the next years to come.

It sort of is: a Pentium III Xeon 2MB L2 version. To have Slot 2 is very rare nowadays, still have my Asus XG-DLS with dual large cache PIII Xeons.

Many 3Dfx and Pentium III-S stuff.
My amibay FS thread: www.amibay.com/showthread.php?88030-Man ... -370-dual)

Reply 142 of 156, by Irinikus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Paadam wrote on 2023-01-30, 18:09:

It sort of is: a Pentium III Xeon 2MB L2 version. To have Slot 2 is very rare nowadays, still have my Asus XG-DLS with dual large cache PIII Xeons.

Something for me to maybe aim for in the future! (As far as I know, the SGI Visual Workstation 540 can slot four of these beasts!!!)

I already have a Visual Workstation 320 dual 1GHz PIII, and if I had to get a 540 I'd still bee stuck with the same old Cobalt graphics system, so in that case I'd rather build up a PC version allowing me to slot the graphics card of my choice!

YouTube

Reply 144 of 156, by Irinikus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The card reader came today and it's installed and works perfectly! So I now have USB!!!! 😀

JUu6t7s.jpg

I have ordered the following badges for the front of the case: (they're coming via the snail mail, so it will be a long while before they arrive!)

EDcvUSu.jpg

UQgAkgS.jpg

I have removed this badge from the case and will have a badge of the same dimensions made up with "OverDrive" written on it in an appropriate font!

vKFtjXM.jpg

Now all the machine really needs is its RAM upgrade and then it will FINALLY be complete!!!

YouTube

Reply 145 of 156, by Irinikus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

This system has been de-modded to having a Matrox G450 and two CANOPUS PURE 3D II's (Voodoo2's), as I couldn't get this graphics setup to work in my other build! (I plan to use the Voodoo5 5500 in a much more exiting and appropriate build!)

This is how it now stands: (It's now more period specific though! 😀 )

EDBFmYT.jpg

Here's the rear panel:

YQoUexa.jpg

Here's the front panel:

N7tXIW1.jpg

Here's the graphics setup:

QDf7Va5.jpg

Here's the list of installed devices:

tnYtZ8A.jpg

Here's the Quake II (timedemo) Performance:

vmUf1oY.jpg

These are the settings that were used:

ZhAXEqe.jpg

The Voodoo2 SLI setup doesn't perform that badly when compared to the voodoo5 5500 in this system! (The Voodoo2 SLI setup obtaining an acreage of 40,8FPS in the Quake II timedemo and the Voodoo5 5500 obtaining 53FPS, making it 23%faster!)

YouTube

Reply 146 of 156, by Irinikus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The Voodoo2's were kind of temperamental (I literally had to do a Voodoo dance to get them working each time I wanted to run Quake II!), so I swapped the Matrox Millennium G450 out with the Matrox Millennium II and the Voodoo2's are now performing perfectly!!!

It appears that they were in conflict with the G450!!!! (Maybe the AGP to PCI bridge on the G450 has something to do with this!?)

Damn, these machines are temperamental!!!! (Well all's good now 😀 )

YouTube

Reply 147 of 156, by pshipkov

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Looks tight. Good job.
I wish Dell builds were of this quality.

Btw, about dual xeon in slot 2 - well oiled 2x tualatin system is the better place in general.
But i think your angle is owning one for the collection first and foremost.

retro bits and bytes

Reply 148 of 156, by Irinikus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
pshipkov wrote on 2023-03-05, 17:19:
Looks tight. Good job. I wish Dell builds were of this quality. […]
Show full quote

Looks tight. Good job.
I wish Dell builds were of this quality.

Btw, about dual xeon in slot 2 - well oiled 2x tualatin system is the better place in general.
But i think your angle is owning one for the collection first and foremost.

This is exactly what I will do once source a board which suits my requirements!

I already have the case and the Voodoo5 ready!!! (The Dual Pentium Pro build will get a beige case, as it's going to be running Windows NT4, rendering it pretty much useless besides being a collectors item!)

bJZwFhM.jpg

GsYgxx8.jpg

The Voodoo5 will be much better paired with a Dual 1.4GHz PIII!
In which case, I'll more than likely end up using the AGP slot to fit one of these via an AGP to PCI adapter:

9T8aMoq.jpg

As every system is ultimately limited by its lowest common denominator, which in this case is drive speed!!!!

YouTube

Reply 149 of 156, by pshipkov

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Why not the black-top PPros ?

V5 with Oxygen. Okay. That's unusual. : )

Never tried PCI models from 3D Labs.
How is the 202 guy ?

---

As for good dual Slot 1 motherboard for a graphics workstation - late model Asus P2B-D with few simple mods. Look no further.
Maybe consider a 4x or 8x Slot 2 server board as a sidekick node to take on offline computation tasks from the main PC.
That will be really cool combo.

retro bits and bytes

Reply 150 of 156, by Irinikus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The Dual Pentium Pro board doesn't support the PPros's with 1MB of cache, only up to 512KB maximum!!! (It does support Overdrives though, but I want to keep it as a PPro!)

The Oxygen 202's a pretty cool card with excellent board compatibility, but there are ONLY NT4 drivers for this card!!!! (I have got the driver to run in XP, but not without issue! It seems to work however Windows keeps on moaning that it's an outdated driver that doesn't work, resulting in problems!!!)

YouTube

Reply 151 of 156, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Irinikus wrote on 2023-03-05, 19:36:

The Dual Pentium Pro board doesn't support the PPros's with 1MB of cache, only up to 512KB maximum!!! (It does support Overdrives though, but I want to keep it as a PPro!)...

Yea, that sounds like you have a rev 1.21 mainboard. I had a couple copies of the board and found that incompatibility out the hard way.

I suspect there is just a missing or disabled address line that Asus cheaped out on thinking; "nobody is ever going to use 1mb cache."

I'm super happy with my matrox G250/voodoo 1 in my board.

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 153 of 156, by Irinikus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I messed around with this system today for the first time in a long time, as I ran it up to test a new benchmark that's just become available: (SAF_BENCH)

IMG_8169 copy 2.jpg
Filename
IMG_8169 copy 2.jpg
File size
1.66 MiB
Views
File license
Public domain

I ended up being able to sort out all the 3DFX driver issues that I previously had with the Canopus Pure3D II's, so I now have Quake II, Quake III and Unreal up and running as well as Doom 95 (Enabling me to run both Doom 1 and 2), Hexen 95 (Enabling me to run Hexen, it's expansion pack as well as Heretic) and Duke3D (The win32 executable version)

You can see that both of the Canopus cards are lit up!

IMG_8168 copy 2.jpg
Filename
IMG_8168 copy 2.jpg
File size
1.57 MiB
Views
File license
Public domain

I'll hopefully be able to capture some footage from this machine one of these days, as it's currently setup and performing pretty well!

Here's the result from SAF BENCH for 3DFX:

Socket_8.2 copy.jpg
Filename
Socket_8.2 copy.jpg
File size
185.71 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

Here's the current system drive performance:

Socket_8.3 copy.jpg
Filename
Socket_8.3 copy.jpg
File size
185.28 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

YouTube

Reply 154 of 156, by Irinikus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I also benchmarked the Dual PIII as well as the Dual P4, to see how they compared:

IMG_8167 copy.jpg
Filename
IMG_8167 copy.jpg
File size
1.85 MiB
Views
File license
Public domain
safP33_copy.png
Filename
safP33_copy.png
File size
756.15 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain
IMG_7948 copy.jpg
Filename
IMG_7948 copy.jpg
File size
1.67 MiB
Views
File license
Public domain
SAF1 copy.jpg
Filename
SAF1 copy.jpg
File size
591.47 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

Here's how these machines compared performance wise:

Screenshot 2024-02-17 at 21.49.24.png
Filename
Screenshot 2024-02-17 at 21.49.24.png
File size
55.13 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

YouTube

Reply 155 of 156, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

obviously that single CPU is holding you back. 😉
you defiantly need to upgrade to dual CPU's like those other beautiful builds.