VOGONS

Pentium II Build and upgrade

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 26, by slivercr

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
candle_86 wrote on 2022-11-05, 06:09:
Final specs, I just put it in its final home, where it will live for now, its a pain to pull it out so its gonna stay as it is, […]
Show full quote

Final specs, I just put it in its final home, where it will live for now, its a pain to pull it out so its gonna stay as it is, but

Celeron 333 because In truth I want a Pentium II 333 but don't have one, and the Celeron is close enough to that preformance
96mb of PC66 3x32mb
Intel AL440LX board
Maxi Gamer Pheonix Voodoo Banshee

Now to enjoy it

Pretty solid system, Mendocino Celerons are nice CPUs.

Outrigger: an ongoing adventure with the OR840
QuForce FX 5800: turn your Quadro into a GeForce

Reply 21 of 26, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

This aint your typical Slot 1, BX, P3 build, I like!
The onboard YMF soundcard and Banshee with its great dos compatibility makes this a pretty serious dos gaming rig.

Alot of people ignore the Banshee but I was happily playing Need for Speed 4 with one on a Slot A 650Mhz PC last year and didn't notice any difference compared to my P3 600 with Voodoo 2.
NFS3 you loose the dashboard, but really if it was my only 3dfx card I'd still be happy.

Reply 22 of 26, by candle_86

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
chinny22 wrote on 2022-11-14, 12:37:
This aint your typical Slot 1, BX, P3 build, I like! The onboard YMF soundcard and Banshee with its great dos compatibility mak […]
Show full quote

This aint your typical Slot 1, BX, P3 build, I like!
The onboard YMF soundcard and Banshee with its great dos compatibility makes this a pretty serious dos gaming rig.

Alot of people ignore the Banshee but I was happily playing Need for Speed 4 with one on a Slot A 650Mhz PC last year and didn't notice any difference compared to my P3 600 with Voodoo 2.
NFS3 you loose the dashboard, but really if it was my only 3dfx card I'd still be happy.

I've always liked the Banshee, its good for what it is as long as you recognize what it is. To me this is great budget circa 1999, if you didn't have alot of cash for a P3 and a Voodoo3/TNT2 you'd build something like this, well maybe a 440LX board instead but you get the point

Reply 23 of 26, by Private_Ops

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
candle_86 wrote on 2022-11-05, 06:09:
Final specs, I just put it in its final home, where it will live for now, its a pain to pull it out so its gonna stay as it is, […]
Show full quote

Final specs, I just put it in its final home, where it will live for now, its a pain to pull it out so its gonna stay as it is, but

Celeron 333 because In truth I want a Pentium II 333 but don't have one, and the Celeron is close enough to that preformance
96mb of PC66 3x32mb
Intel AL440LX board
Maxi Gamer Pheonix Voodoo Banshee

Now to enjoy it

I've got one of those Intel made 440LX boards. My PII 333 boots as a 300. Not sure why. Running one of the later BIOS revisions.

Its currently running a 366 Celeron. Runs great! Paired it with a Voodoo 3.

Reply 24 of 26, by H3nrik V!

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Private_Ops wrote on 2022-11-16, 05:45:

I've got one of those Intel made 440LX boards. My PII 333 boots as a 300. Not sure why. Running one of the later BIOS revisions.

Maybe it's an unlocked cpu and the multiplier on the boards is set to 4.5?

Please use the "quote" option if asking questions to what I write - it will really up the chances of me noticing 😀

Reply 25 of 26, by Private_Ops

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
H3nrik V! wrote on 2022-11-16, 19:19:
Private_Ops wrote on 2022-11-16, 05:45:

Maybe it's an unlocked cpu and the multiplier on the boards is set to 4.5?

My particular board has no option set multipliers. Typical Intel nerfing. I suppose its possible. I've read celerons can ignore the motherboard and run at their default.

Reply 26 of 26, by candle_86

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Here are my benchmark runs of actual games plus 3dmark

Overall I'm gonna say mid 90's games should do pretty good on it

Attachments

• benchmarks.jpg
    Filename
    benchmarks.jpg
    File size