VOGONS

A NOT-SO EPIC Dual Pentium Pro Build

Topic actions

Reply 141 of 167, by Irinikus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Here's the complete component set for the machine: (I'll use the Oxygen 202 to run the machine in order to flash the BIOS, and from there I'll hopefully be able to get the Voodoo5 5500 up and running)

IMG_8255 copy.jpg
Filename
IMG_8255 copy.jpg
File size
1.97 MiB
Views
File license
Public domain

Here are some shots of the Motherboard with all the cards slotted: (I do still intend to add a Belkin USB 2.0 card into PCI slot 3)

IMG_8257 copy.jpg
Filename
IMG_8257 copy.jpg
File size
1.38 MiB
Views
File license
Public domain
IMG_8259 copy.jpg
Filename
IMG_8259 copy.jpg
File size
1.18 MiB
Views
File license
Public domain
IMG_8261 copy.jpg
Filename
IMG_8261 copy.jpg
File size
1.4 MiB
Views
File license
Public domain

YouTube

Reply 142 of 167, by pshipkov

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

cool.
if i was on you, i would keep the Oxygen.
Voodoo feels out of place when bolted in workstations.
i dont think there is a single game from that (or later) period that is SMP ready and/or will run well on this combo.
Starved V5 will wait for one of the PPro procs to limp along during gameplay.
In the other hand, outside of gaming, V5 will be so lost in the workstation setup.

retro bits and bytes

Reply 143 of 167, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

the 2nd processor is only utilized if you have a lot of background tasks. So if you were emulating a CD drive, that overhead can be taken care of by CPU2. things like that. Even Quake 3's "SMP" leaves a lot to be desired.

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 144 of 167, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
pshipkov wrote on 2024-03-10, 23:41:
cool. if i was on you, i would keep the Oxygen. Voodoo feels out of place when bolted in workstations. i dont think there is a s […]
Show full quote

cool.
if i was on you, i would keep the Oxygen.
Voodoo feels out of place when bolted in workstations.
i dont think there is a single game from that (or later) period that is SMP ready and/or will run well on this combo.
Starved V5 will wait for one of the PPro procs to limp along during gameplay.
In the other hand, outside of gaming, V5 will be so lost in the workstation setup.

I kind of agree with this.
I like the dual CPU/GPU setup with the Oxygen.
But is a bit of a waste just having the V5 sitting in a draw, at least it opens up ability to play earlier 3dfx games.

Now if you could pair it with a V2 SLI setup. 2 CPU's, 2 GPU, 2 Voodoo 2, damn that would be sexy!

Reply 145 of 167, by Irinikus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I messed around with this system the whole weekend, and it has the worst stability issues I’ve ever encountered!!!

It’s like a one-armed bandit! It works and then it just doesn’t. There seems to be a problem with the BIOS which will need to be troubleshooted.

The BIOS keeps its settings, but most of the time I can’t save changes to the settings!!!??? When I select the save the settings, it tries to reboot and ends up hanging with a barely visible grey screen (not completely black)

It seems to have serious problems with graphics card initialisation.

For these reasons I’m going to put this build on hold for now!

YouTube

Reply 146 of 167, by Irinikus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'm not saying that this is part the problem as yet, but I noticed that there was a bit of heat being generated by the ATX to AT converter in the area where it plugs into the ATX connector, so I've pushed all of the pins as far forward as I can and I've epoxied all of the wires into the plug, so this should keep them in the forward position.

IMG_8268 copy.jpg
Filename
IMG_8268 copy.jpg
File size
958.28 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain
IMG_8269 copy.jpg
Filename
IMG_8269 copy.jpg
File size
801.87 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

I'll add some shrink wrap to improve its look, if it does indeed work to solve the problem that I'm experiencing!

YouTube

Reply 147 of 167, by Irinikus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It looks like it worked and I'm making headway: (Such a small thing can create huge problems!!!)

IMG_8270 copy.jpg
Filename
IMG_8270 copy.jpg
File size
1.24 MiB
Views
File license
Public domain
IMG_8272 copy.jpg
Filename
IMG_8272 copy.jpg
File size
1.38 MiB
Views
File license
Public domain
IMG_8274 copy.jpg
Filename
IMG_8274 copy.jpg
File size
1.56 MiB
Views
File license
Public domain
IMG_8275 copy.jpg
Filename
IMG_8275 copy.jpg
File size
1.79 MiB
Views
File license
Public domain

I'll take your advice and keep the Dynamic Pictures Oxygen 202 in the system! 😀

Later I'll try to get the Gravis Ultrasound PnP up and running!

YouTube

Reply 149 of 167, by Irinikus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
pshipkov wrote on 2024-03-11, 17:46:

Travis Ultrasound - cracked me up.

That 3D Labs logo was quite magical back then. Good times.

And, good to see you improved on stability.

Thanks!😎

Travis is indeed a great band!!!

My mistake!!!😂

Last edited by Irinikus on 2024-03-11, 18:17. Edited 1 time in total.

YouTube

Reply 152 of 167, by Irinikus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I've now also managed to get the GUS PnP up and running:

IMG_8277 copy.jpg
Filename
IMG_8277 copy.jpg
File size
1.93 MiB
Views
File license
Public domain

That's all for today! 😀

YouTube

Reply 155 of 167, by H3nrik V!

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Irinikus wrote on 2024-03-12, 04:05:

The CPU card that I have can only support PPros’s with up to 512K cache, so I may look at installing a pair of those sometime in the future.

Has anybody tried it or is it based on the documentation, that may not have been updated?

Please use the "quote" option if asking questions to what I write - it will really up the chances of me noticing 😀

Reply 156 of 167, by Irinikus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
H3nrik V! wrote on 2024-03-12, 06:26:

The CPU card that I have can only support PPros’s with up to 512K cache, so I may look at installing a pair of those sometime in the future.

Has anybody tried it or is it based on the documentation, that may not have been updated?

There are different versions of the CPU card, mine is the first version and it doesn’t accommodate the 1MB Black CPU’s.

YouTube

Reply 157 of 167, by H3nrik V!

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Irinikus wrote on 2024-03-12, 08:15:

There are different versions of the CPU card, mine is the first version and it doesn’t accommodate the 1MB Black CPU’s.

I was just in the process of googling and found this; https://www.youtube.com/watch?app=desktop&v=ZscPGFrj60Y where it's also stated that the 1.1 doesn't support black tops ... What a shame. Wonder if there's some workaround to update the CPU card, though ...

Just like the ASUS P2B-DS, that can be modified for proper ACPI operation.

Please use the "quote" option if asking questions to what I write - it will really up the chances of me noticing 😀

Reply 158 of 167, by nhattu1986

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I did try the 1Mb ppro with v1.1 card and it indeed can not boot at all. Not even attempt to start the bios code.
I have the v1.2 that should support the 1Mb ppro but that one is not-working.

Reply 159 of 167, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Yea, it REALLY rustled my jimmies when one of my p65up5's would work with 1mb chips and not the other.

I also had an issue in the older version of the bios that enabled the deturbo mode by default. making the system run as fast as a 486. that was fun.

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.