VOGONS

Gaming on my Intel Atom

Topic actions

Reply 60 of 62, by Hoping

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

In my case, it seems to be some problem with the laptop's sound driver, if I increase the channels to 12 in the options it crashes a few seconds after starting the tutorial and if I lower the channels to 4 it always hangs after the second test in the moment to open the gate.
But I'm not worried, I have more things to do than fight with that. It was only about checking the usefulness of these Atom processors for gaming and from my point of view, it is proven.
With the N450 and XP I was able to play many games without problems, until 2002 at most of course.
The most curious thing has been playing graphic adventures with a pencil instead of a mouse, they were not point & click adventures, just point... although graphic adventures are not of my interest.

Reply 61 of 62, by 386SX

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

At first I thought it was a sound problem too because it happened when the character was talking or sounds in background but at the end is probably a problem with the 2D on-screen graphic during 3D rendering and this complex GPU which was not intended to use in a x86/x64 Windows platform with Direct3D and OpenGL (not ES). If happens to try the newer game engine you might try that setting in the new cfg file in the main directory of the games.

Reply 62 of 62, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Started a thread to discuss GMA 500 video which is found on slower atom platforms, I suspect the story might be a lot like GMA 36x0 though, unless it being a little earlier and lower end it got better attention for XP driver.
Intel GMA 500 for retro, what can and can't be done? XP lowest? PowerVR useful?

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.