VOGONS

Reply 20 of 48, by the3dfxdude

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

You can get many kinds of cards on AGP, from S3, SiS, Trident, or Nvidia, that will work decent in 2d. AGP in DOS should function pretty much the same as PCI cards from that era. It wouldn't hurt either to have a card that is a bit of an accelerator in Windows, even if you only run 2d. Having that DX compatibility for DirectDraw and early Direct3d is nice, so I wouldn't shy away from better cards if they do 3d. It will ultimately come down to the games you want to run too.

Reply 21 of 48, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I am suggesting the i740s as 2D AGPs at the moment because the prices are good. Ah, on a check, SiS 6326 are back to reasonable too now. They went silly bananas a few months back, a youtuber must have mentioned them or something.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 22 of 48, by Pingaloka

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

What do you guys think about the nVIDIA RIVA TNT / TNT2 / nVIDIA RIVA 128 and the / ASUS AGP-V3400TNT? They seem to have pretty good DOS compatibility and it could be good for some 3D gaming or playing some ways such as Blood / Duke Nukem at higher resolutions.
The SiS 6326 doesnt' seem as compatible from the looks at https://gona.mactar.hu/DOS_TESTS/

Reply 23 of 48, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yeah they're good

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 24 of 48, by Pingaloka

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Still thinking about the AGP route.
This is my collection of 2D PCI Video cards. If I choose to go PCI I will choose one of these:

1. Matrox 971 G450
2. S3 Virge / DX 86C375
3. S3 Virge 86C325 B3D-S32-BP-S3Cx
4. S3 Virge 86C325
5. Cirrus Logic CL-GD54M30
6. S3 Trio 64V+ G1E3DE 2MB
7. S3 Trio 64V+ Q1E3BF 2MB

2d.jpg

I also found a 3dfx voodoo 2 but don't know if it works. I would need to test it.

3d.jpg

Reply 25 of 48, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

One of the Virge would be great I think. Test the V2 with it when everything is up and running. Though MMX doesn't really let the V2 stretch it's legs so you might want it in another box down the road.

Reply 26 of 48, by gen_angry

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

The Matrox card is an AGP card. If you already have these cards, use them. Going AGP suggestion was more of if you didnt have anything.

The matrox is a bit out of spec (its a 2000ish card I believe and doesn't have the greatest DOS compatibility) but the rest are all solid choices for DOS.

S3 VIRGE/DX is probably best for compatibility (It's a trio with a 3d engine) but either of the Trios would do just as well (assuming they don't have the S3 brightness issue) alongside of that Voodoo 2 if it works and fits.

Reply 27 of 48, by Shponglefan

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
gen_angry wrote on 2023-03-07, 16:27:

S3 VIRGE/DX is probably best for compatibility (It's a trio with a 3d engine) but either of the Trios would do just as well (assuming they don't have the S3 brightness issue) alongside of that Voodoo 2 if it works and fits.

I'll echo this suggestion as well.

I have a similar spec build (Pentium MMX 200 for DOS + Win 95) and use a 4MB Hercules Terminator w/ the S3 Virge/DX chipset, plus a Voodoo1 card for 3D acceleration.

Since the intent of the OP is to use this system for games going back to the 386-era, I would favor going with a card that will offer maximum compatibility.

Pentium 4 Multi-OS Build
486 DX4-100 with 6 sound cards
486 DX-33 with 5 sound cards

Reply 28 of 48, by Pingaloka

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Shponglefan wrote on 2023-03-07, 16:53:
I'll echo this suggestion as well. […]
Show full quote
gen_angry wrote on 2023-03-07, 16:27:

I'll echo this suggestion as well.

I have a similar spec build (Pentium MMX 200 for DOS + Win 95) and use a 4MB Hercules Terminator w/ the S3 Virge/DX chipset, plus a Voodoo1 card for 3D acceleration.

Since the intent of the OP is to use this system for games going back to the 386-era, I would favor going with a card that will offer maximum compatibility.

Ok, I think I'm going to settle with the following options for now:

Motherboard: Shuttle Spacewalker 591P Ver 3.1
CPU: Intel 200MMX
Videocard: Virge DX for now.
RAM: 16MB
OS: MS-DOS 6.22 in one CF card and W95 in the other one.
Sound: I'm waiting for a Sound Blaster CT2940 OPL3 chip version I bought (20€), although I'm thinking in possibly getting a SB Ct2230 but the price (50€) is making me doubt for now...and these are ok prices if you compare them to the ones you can find on Ebay. It's incredible how the prices have gone up in the last 1-3 years!!
I was checking older posts of mine, maybe 7-10 years older and prices were much much lower.

So now is time to choose the case. These are the ones I have available right now. Which one do you guys like?

PC1.jpg
PC2.jpg
PC3.jpg

Reply 29 of 48, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Pingaloka wrote on 2023-03-07, 11:19:
Sphere478 wrote on 2023-03-07, 07:33:
I use new atx psus all the time with ss7 stuff. […]
Show full quote
Pingaloka wrote on 2023-03-07, 06:51:

I'm looking around for an ATX PSU but all of them seem to do 12V+, they do actually sell new power supplies compatible with super socket 7 boards? Do they actually fit in an AT Case?

I use new atx psus all the time with ss7 stuff.

No -5v
And extra 4 pins.

But that’s not usually a problem.

ATX to AT pico Adapter! + Fan Headers Soft on/off, -5v, and 3.3v (Released)

There is also this

The -5V is only necessary for some boards such as the Sound Blaster 2.0 correct?

Yeah, not all stuff needs it

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
Sphere’s socket 5/7 cpu collection.
-
SUCCESSFUL K6-2+ to K6-3+ Full Cache Enable Mod
-
Tyan S1564S to S1564D single to dual processor conversion (also s1563 and s1562)

Reply 30 of 48, by Pingaloka

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hello people.
So, news is I found a really "beautiful" case on a second hand selling and buying online app in Spain. Saw it and fell in love! I paid the price though....I'm not going to say how much 😬😬😬
I'm waiting for the case to arrive next week so I can continue with the build.
I'm also planning on making a little video mounting and setting everything up.
I hope you find this case as cool as I do!
Hopefully, next week I'll continue with some more info.

torre2.jpg

Reply 32 of 48, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

That's quite different. If it were one of mine I'd feel compelled to name it after Jake Tucker in Family Guy 🤣

Reply 33 of 48, by Pingaloka

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
BitWrangler wrote on 2023-03-10, 17:57:

That's quite different. If it were one of mine I'd feel compelled to name it after Jake Tucker in Family Guy 🤣

hahaha! It just looks upside down right?? It is a different take in design that is for sure!
These are the types of AT cases I love and that are hard to come by.

Reply 34 of 48, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

That’s a pretty Rad case!

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
Sphere’s socket 5/7 cpu collection.
-
SUCCESSFUL K6-2+ to K6-3+ Full Cache Enable Mod
-
Tyan S1564S to S1564D single to dual processor conversion (also s1563 and s1562)

Reply 35 of 48, by Shponglefan

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

That is a very unusual case. Do you have pics of the back or the inside? I'm curious to see how the PSU and motherboard would mount in a case like that.

Pentium 4 Multi-OS Build

Reply 36 of 48, by Pingaloka

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Shponglefan wrote on 2023-03-10, 20:53:

That is a very unusual case. Do you have pics of the back or the inside? I'm curious to see how the PSU and motherboard would mount in a case like that.

I don't have the case in my possesion yet. It should arrive monday. As soon as I get it I'll post some pictures of the interior, back, etc.
Hopefully it will arrive with no damage!! 😰😰😰 Had to many horror stories with couriers.
I asked the person who sold it to me, to really pack everything well and carefully.

The guy was kind enough to send me some images of PC Magazine (spanish edition) he has from 1996. In this magazine we can see this computer and its original specs:

PRICE: 318,23 ptas (spanish coin at the time) which is around 1910€ in 1996. The equivalent today would be roughly around 3300€. That would have been the cost of this computer if I'm not too mistaken.

Name: KM Pentium 100 Multimedia
CPU: 100Mhz Pentium S
Cache: 256kb
Memory: 8mb Ram SIMM
Storage: Seagate 420mb HDD
CD Creative x4
Sound : Creative Sound Blaster 16 value
VGA: Trio32 2MB PCI
5CDs were also included: ALone in the Dark, Alone in the Dark 2, Theme Park, Football Encyclopedia, Claris Works 1.0.

pc4.jpg
pc5.jpg

Reply 37 of 48, by Pingaloka

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Shponglefan wrote on 2023-03-10, 20:53:

HI! I took some pics of the case- It arrived today!!
It is basically an upside down case. Here are the interiors.
The computer came with a Socket 7 motherboard (DataExpert EXP8661) and an Intel 133Mhz Pentium CPU an S3 Trio32. Nothing too fancy.

ordena2.jpg
ordena3.jpg
ordena4.jpg
ordena5.jpg
ordena6.jpg

Reply 38 of 48, by Shponglefan

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Very interesting indeed!

I wonder how it performs thermally, since the only exhaust fan is now at the bottom. Since heat rises would trapped heat potentially be an issue in a design like this?

suppose you could use vented slot bracket covers or even leave them off for a little extra air exchange at the top of the case. Or jerry-rig an extra internal fan to facilitate greater air circulation.

The front of the case looks really cool though. Really digging that design!

Pentium 4 Multi-OS Build

Reply 39 of 48, by Pingaloka

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Shponglefan wrote on 2023-03-13, 16:04:
Very interesting indeed! […]
Show full quote

Very interesting indeed!

I wonder how it performs thermally, since the only exhaust fan is now at the bottom. Since heat rises would trapped heat potentially be an issue in a design like this?

suppose you could use vented slot bracket covers or even leave them off for a little extra air exchange at the top of the case. Or jerry-rig an extra internal fan to facilitate greater air circulation.

The front of the case looks really cool though. Really digging that design!

You think that could be an issue? Do Socket 7s get that hot? I would check that cos the south of Spain is pretty hot, especially in the Summer.
Maybe an extra fan would be helpful yes.

In regards to the design, yeah it is pretty interesting indeed. Not 100% sure yet I'll mount the PC on this one.
I might also consider going for a more "sober classic" design:

ordena1.jpg

What do you guys think??? 🤔