VOGONS

Reply 40 of 48, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Back in early noughts I had a K6-2-400 overclocked to 450 with a Voodoo 3, on a 430TX motherboard in an old tightly laid out AT case, and I would tend to get problems with that in 30C ambient temperatures. I tried having a blower in the 5.25 bay, but I guess that was too close to PSU and just went straight out again. I ended up just running without the cover on in hot weather. But yeah, faster socket 7 and super 7 start to get hot weather sensitive in only PSU vented cases.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 41 of 48, by Shponglefan

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Pingaloka wrote on 2023-03-13, 16:43:

You think that could be an issue? Do Socket 7s get that hot? I would check that cos the south of Spain is pretty hot, especially in the Summer.
Maybe an extra fan would be helpful yes.

For a Pentium MMX 200 build it might not be as much of an issue. Especially with a decent CPU cooler to help push air around. For a K6 build, especially with faster K6 CPUs, you could be getting into thermal issues. Though there are so many variables, it's hard to say without doing practical tests and measurements.

It looks like the only venting in the case is along the top front. So with negative pressure being generated from the PSU fan, presumably some air should be pulled from the top of the case into the bottom. Though this does go against the natural convection currents with hot air tending to rise.

At the very least, I'd probably use vented slot brackets just for that little bit of extra air intake.

Pentium 4 Multi-OS Build
486 DX4-100 with 6 sound cards
486 DX-33 with 5 sound cards

Reply 42 of 48, by Pingaloka

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Shponglefan wrote on 2023-03-13, 18:18:
For a Pentium MMX 200 build it might not be as much of an issue. Especially with a decent CPU cooler to help push air around. F […]
Show full quote
Pingaloka wrote on 2023-03-13, 16:43:

You think that could be an issue? Do Socket 7s get that hot? I would check that cos the south of Spain is pretty hot, especially in the Summer.
Maybe an extra fan would be helpful yes.

For a Pentium MMX 200 build it might not be as much of an issue. Especially with a decent CPU cooler to help push air around. For a K6 build, especially with faster K6 CPUs, you could be getting into thermal issues. Though there are so many variables, it's hard to say without doing practical tests and measurements.

It looks like the only venting in the case is along the top front. So with negative pressure being generated from the PSU fan, presumably some air should be pulled from the top of the case into the bottom. Though this does go against the natural convection currents with hot air tending to rise.

At the very least, I'd probably use vented slot brackets just for that little bit of extra air intake.

Good idea about the vented slot brackets. I'll keep it in mind!

Reply 43 of 48, by the3dfxdude

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Shponglefan wrote on 2023-03-13, 16:04:
Very interesting indeed! […]
Show full quote

Very interesting indeed!

I wonder how it performs thermally, since the only exhaust fan is now at the bottom. Since heat rises would trapped heat potentially be an issue in a design like this?

suppose you could use vented slot bracket covers or even leave them off for a little extra air exchange at the top of the case. Or jerry-rig an extra internal fan to facilitate greater air circulation.

The front of the case looks really cool though. Really digging that design!

I had seen some of these "upside down" AT/ATX cases for socket 7 and pentium 2. I still have one. Mine has vents on the flat top face, just like modern cases. As far as circulation, it does appear that they were intended to use the classic negative pressure AT/ATX power supply fan circulation. When I saw the case, I thought this might be a good case to go ahead and use a modern ATX power supply if there are vent holes up top. @Pingaloka Check if there are vent holes. I can't see the top in the pictures. If the only spot is the above the drives, you could help draw hot air from the front. I would agree a slot fan would be good if you have concerns about thermals.

Reply 44 of 48, by Pingaloka

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
the3dfxdude wrote on 2023-03-13, 20:19:
Shponglefan wrote on 2023-03-13, 16:04:
Very interesting indeed! […]
Show full quote

Very interesting indeed!

I wonder how it performs thermally, since the only exhaust fan is now at the bottom. Since heat rises would trapped heat potentially be an issue in a design like this?

suppose you could use vented slot bracket covers or even leave them off for a little extra air exchange at the top of the case. Or jerry-rig an extra internal fan to facilitate greater air circulation.

The front of the case looks really cool though. Really digging that design!

I had seen some of these "upside down" AT/ATX cases for socket 7 and pentium 2. I still have one. Mine has vents on the flat top face, just like modern cases. As far as circulation, it does appear that they were intended to use the classic negative pressure AT/ATX power supply fan circulation. When I saw the case, I thought this might be a good case to go ahead and use a modern ATX power supply if there are vent holes up top. @Pingaloka Check if there are vent holes. I can't see the top in the pictures. If the only spot is the above the drives, you could help draw hot air from the front. I would agree a slot fan would be good if you have concerns about thermals.

Ummm....I think not @the3dfxdude but I will check tomorrow. In any case, I plan to put a fan for the CPU and I'll check all vent possibilites!

Reply 45 of 48, by gen_angry

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

One upside of using a more modern ATX case like in those 'reverse sleeper builds', many of them have far better thermals. My P4 3.0c is in a modern case and it barely cracks 45 degrees on full tilt with the stock cooler.

That said, I havent seen any of those upside down AT cases - it'll certainly be unique to build in. I wouldn't worry too much about temps from a 200MMX, they don't give off that much heat.

Reply 46 of 48, by drosse1meyer

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

damn you have a lot of nice parts 😀

P1: Packard Bell - 233 MMX, Voodoo1, 64 MB, ALS100+
P2-V2: Dell Dimension - 400 Mhz, Voodoo2, 256 MB
P!!! Custom: 1 Ghz, GeForce2 Pro/64MB, 384 MB

Reply 48 of 48, by Pingaloka

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
drosse1meyer wrote on 2023-03-13, 22:23:

damn you have a lot of nice parts 😀

yeah! I've been gathering them for years!!
Still missing a lot of cool stuff I would love to have. Sound Blaster Pro 2 CT1600 being one of them!!