VOGONS

First post, by Irinikus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Does anyone here have any experience with this board?

D88ktGb.jpg

Would it be any good for a PIII Voodoo5 5500 build?

It certainly has some nice features, best of which are two 66MHz 64-BIT PCI slots!!!

Last edited by Irinikus on 2023-03-30, 13:51. Edited 6 times in total.

YouTube

Reply 1 of 145, by TrashPanda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Would make for a great Matrox Parhelia 256 PCI-X build !

Why use a Voodoo5 when you can use a GPU designed for them PCI-X slots, its far more unique than the V5.

Parhelia 256 PCI-X.jpg
Filename
Parhelia 256 PCI-X.jpg
File size
44.1 KiB
Views
File comment
Smexy Matrox
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 2 of 145, by Irinikus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Because I have a Voodoo5 5500 PCI that needs a home! (The Matrox card falls more into the P4 era!)

That's an interesting card by the way! (I remember when it came out back in2002!)

YouTube

Reply 3 of 145, by TrashPanda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Irinikus wrote on 2023-03-06, 14:06:

Because I have a Voodoo5 5500 PCI that needs a home! (The Matrox card falls more into the P4 era!)

That's an interesting card by the way! (I remember when it came out back in2002!)

I have one myself in a P4 PCI-X rig, along with a gigabit PCI-X network card...the network card was a bit overkill honestly but it was cheap and its a nice intel model.

Reply 5 of 145, by PC Hoarder Patrol

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Irinikus wrote on 2023-03-06, 13:03:
Does anyone here have any experience with this board? […]
Show full quote

Does anyone here have any experience with this board?

D88ktGb.jpg

Would it be any good for a PIII Voodoo5 5500 build?

It certainly has some nice features, best of which are two 66MHz 64-BIT PCI slots!!!

Have one myself (currently destined for a small alu tower build)...only native card I've tested in the 66MHz slots was a 4-port SATA II raid card (has to be this or SCSI as this gen Serverworks IDE sux bigtime!).

Reply 6 of 145, by Hoping

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have an old Supermicro server with the original Supermicro high tower case and that motherboard (S370DL3), two Pentium III 1000Mhz, 1.5gb Ram, a RageII PCI graphics card, a Gigabit Intel MT 1000 PCI-X card and a 3ware 9500s-4lp PCI-X card, a Maxtor 10K 80Gb SCSI hard drive and one of the two original Seagate 9Gb SCSI 7200 hard drives; a 40x Plextor SCSI CD-ROM drive, and a DDS4 SCSI tape drive. I even have the original Supermicro 300W power supply with two fans.
The truth is that it was a fairly complete server, I used it for a long time.
But without a better graphics card it's useless nowadays, the lack of AGP makes it hardly useful, the only interesting detail is the integrated SCSI controller.
Its last use was as a NAS but even with the Gigabit card from Intel, the file transfer was not very fast, and the SATA card from 3ware had too many strange details and with the appearance of 2Tb hard drives it began to give problems, so since then stopped using it.
The truth is that I have it in storage for a few years, along with a lot of tapes with old backups.

Reply 7 of 145, by Irinikus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I ended up purchasing the SUPER 370DE6 REV 1.2 Motherboard!

Dyg1614.jpg

In this case I'm stuck with Coppermine CPU's (1.13GHz MAX), but it should still be pretty cool as its a DUAL!

YouTube

Reply 9 of 145, by Irinikus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Hoping wrote on 2023-03-07, 17:12:

Looks a lot better than the 370DL3, PCI-X, AGP and integrated SCSI, what more you may ask for on a dual PIII.

Agreed! 😀

It's the absolute largest board that can be fitted into the Corsair iCUE 7000X RGB Tempered Glass Full-Tower ATX PC Case, so it will look impressive!!!

This is what I plan to fit it into:

bJZwFhM.jpg

YouTube

Reply 11 of 145, by Hoping

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well, From my point of view, that case has a big flaw for that board, and it is that it doesn't have a 5 1/4 bay for an SCSI optical drive or another SCSI drives.
It's not a criticism, it's just an opinion.

Reply 12 of 145, by Irinikus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I agree with the optical drive part, but it does have space for 6 x 3.5 inch SCSI drives and 3 x 2.5 inch SSD's!

I'm more than likely going to go with both onboard SCSI and a PCI-X SATAII RAID (Two SSD's in RAID 0) in this one! 😀

I'll hook up a SCSI Optical drive just to get XP onto the machine and then remove it once the setup process is complete! From then on I'll use USB as a means of getting files onto and off the machine! (I'll also fit an additional PCI USB2 card)

For sound I'll more than likely go with a Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS Gold.

For graphics I'll use a Voodoo5 5500 PCI MAC version.

YouTube

Reply 13 of 145, by H3nrik V!

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Holy fudge, that's a beautiful board, and a beautiful case!

But, now that is does have an AGP slot, why not go with an AGP graphics card?

Please use the "quote" option if asking questions to what I write - it will really up the chances of me noticing 😀

Reply 15 of 145, by Irinikus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
H3nrik V! wrote on 2023-03-08, 07:19:

Holy fudge, that's a beautiful board, and a beautiful case!

But, now that is does have an AGP slot, why not go with an AGP graphics card?

My Voodoo5’s the PCI version and it should perform at very close to AGP speeds in a 66MHz PCI slot. The purpose of this system is pretty much to be a showcase for the Voodoo5, and the board’s from that era.

I want the Voodoo5 to be on display, hence the tempered glass door! 😀

Last edited by Irinikus on 2023-03-08, 10:03. Edited 2 times in total.

YouTube

Reply 16 of 145, by Irinikus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
TrashPanda wrote on 2023-03-08, 08:00:

Does this board support Tualatins ? or is it limited to Coppermine ?

Unfortunately it seems to be limited to Coppermine!

YouTube

Reply 17 of 145, by TrashPanda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Irinikus wrote on 2023-03-08, 09:51:
TrashPanda wrote on 2023-03-08, 08:00:

Does this board support Tualatins ? or is it limited to Coppermine ?

Unfortunately it seems to be limited to Coppermine!

Perfect candidate for a pair of 1.1Ghz 100FSB Coppermines !

Reply 19 of 145, by TrashPanda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Irinikus wrote on 2023-03-08, 10:00:

I intend to fit two 1.13GHz Coppermines with a 133MHz FSB.

They are also very nice and just as hard to find !

Are they CUMine T SL5QK ? or just normal CUMine ?