VOGONS

New 486 Build

Topic actions

First post, by candle_86

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Well I'm building a new 486, since I sold mine a few years ago cause I was supposed to move. I'll have pictures later but so far here are the specs

Intel 486SX 25 oc'd to 33mhz
16mb FPS SIMM
genoa systems 8500vl VLB
AZXT Sound Card
GoTek
2GB compact Flash
DVD-RW (Only Beige Drive)
3com 305CB Network

I want something that works between late 386 and 486 preformance which is why I went with the SX. For games like Doom ect I've got my Pentium 166.

Reply 1 of 6, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I get it... though I've got a lot of tortured silicon, adrenalin builds in the old noggin, I want to get around to something like this sometime... though I'll probably be trying to do it low profile or pizza boxish. Just a little basic 88-93 ish DOS gamer.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 3 of 6, by candle_86

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Oh mine is Pizza box, I'm just waiting on the Ram and the VLB card to arrive and I'll be taking some pictures, as for Windows 9x, nah I've got a Pentium 166, Celeron 333, Pentium III 550, and Pentium III 866 for Windows 9x. This is gonna be just DOS/Win3.1

Reply 5 of 6, by gerry

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
candle_86 wrote on 2023-04-01, 02:59:

2GB compact Flash

i like the way that's fine, plenty of space

and yet considered half the absolute minimum ram needed for browsing these days!

i know its a meaningless observation, but anyway... 😀