VOGONS

First post, by Garehard

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I would like to present my current project:
It goes by the name "Nanobox" and is a Haswell-based mini-ITX computer in a stylish, minimalist aluminum housing.

The aim is to have a small, quiet and energy-efficient Windows XP computer for more demanding games and to run Linux as a second OS.
The little one will then stand on the desk next to my monitor and joins my main computer as a retro station using the same screen, keyboard/mouse + sound.

The PC is currently under construction, as I am still waiting for the power supply.

But I thought I'd upload a few photos/impressions in advance.

Here are the specs:

Motherboard: Asus H81I-PLUS[/list]
CPU: Intel Core i3-4370 Dual-Core 2x 3.8 GHz
RAM: 4GB DDR3 1600MHz
GPU: Nvidia GeForce 750 Ti

SOUND: Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Surround 5.1 Pro (External-USB)
Seasonic SSP-300SUB 300 Watt Flex ATX Power Supply

Motherboard: Asus Z170i Pro Gaming
CPU: Intel Core i7-6700 Quad-Core 4x 3.4 GHz
RAM: 16GB DDR4 2133MHz
GPU: AMD Radeon R7 260X
SOUND: Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Surround 5.1 Pro (External-USB)
Seasonic SSP-300SUB 300 Watt Flex ATX Power Supply

Attachments

Last edited by Garehard on 2023-04-25, 09:41. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 1 of 10, by pentiumspeed

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

You need to rotate the heatsink 90 degrees. This is worst design especially the motherboard.

Cheers,

Great Northern aka Canada.

Reply 2 of 10, by Pierre32

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
pentiumspeed wrote on 2023-04-14, 22:20:

You need to rotate the heatsink 90 degrees.

On closer inspection I agree.

Still, can't help but love this neat little build. I'd be interested to hear about temps once it's up and running.

Reply 4 of 10, by Garehard

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

You need to rotate the heatsink 90 degrees. This is worst design especially the motherboard.

Cheers,

Thanks for your comment. You are totally right. Will change that.

Pierre32 wrote on 2023-04-14, 22:39:

Still, can't help but love this neat little build. I'd be interested to hear about temps once it's up and running.

Thank you, i will post the temps later.

pentiumspeed wrote on 2023-04-14, 23:13:

Oh, one more thing, what is the chassis case called or something we can find one?

Cheers,

It‘s called „Metalfish S3“. Got mine from Ebay. Looks like it is hard to find.

Reply 5 of 10, by spiroyster

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Garehard wrote on 2023-04-14, 10:31:
I would like to present my current project: It goes by the name "Nanobox" and is a Haswell-based mini-ITX computer in a stylish, […]
Show full quote

It goes by the name "Nanobox" and is a Haswell-based mini-ITX computer in a stylish, minimalist aluminum housing.

The aim is to have a small, quiet and energy-efficient Windows XP computer for more demanding games and to run Linux as a second OS.
The little one will then stand on the desk next to my monitor and joins my main computer as a retro station using the same screen, keyboard/mouse + sound.

The PC is currently under construction, as I am still waiting for the power supply.

Here are the specs:

• Motherboard: Asus H81I-PLUS
  • CPU: Intel Core i3-4370 Dual-Core 2x 3.8 GHz
  • RAM: 4GB DDR3 1600MHz
  • GPU: Nvidia GeForce 750 Ti
  • SOUND: Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Surround 5.1 Pro (Extern-USB)
  • Seasonic SSP-300SUB 300 Watt Flex ATX Power Supply

Is that an Apple TAM in the background? 😀

Reply 6 of 10, by TrashPanda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Garehard wrote on 2023-04-15, 10:39:
Thanks for your comment. You are totally right. Will change that. […]
Show full quote

Cheers,

Thanks for your comment. You are totally right. Will change that.

Pierre32 wrote on 2023-04-14, 22:39:

Thank you, i will post the temps later.

pentiumspeed wrote on 2023-04-14, 23:13:

Oh, one more thing, what is the chassis case called or something we can find one?

Cheers,

It‘s called „Metalfish S3“. Got mine from Ebay. Looks like it is hard to find.

The Metalfish G4 and G5 are very nice too, not as tiny as yours but Mini ITX and ITX respectively. Actually looking at the G5 for a DTX build.

Reply 7 of 10, by pentiumspeed

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Metalfish not as common on ebay.

Even plainer search words including aluminum chassis results in expensive results and poorer selections.

Cheers,

Great Northern aka Canada.

Reply 9 of 10, by Garehard

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
spiroyster wrote on 2023-04-15, 14:34:
Garehard wrote on 2023-04-14, 10:31:
I would like to present my current project: It goes by the name "Nanobox" and is a Haswell-based mini-ITX computer in a stylish, […]
Show full quote

Here are the specs:

• Motherboard: Asus H81I-PLUS
  • CPU: Intel Core i3-4370 Dual-Core 2x 3.8 GHz
  • RAM: 4GB DDR3 1600MHz
  • GPU: Nvidia GeForce 750 Ti
  • SOUND: Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Surround 5.1 Pro (Extern-USB)
  • Seasonic SSP-300SUB 300 Watt Flex ATX Power Supply

Is that an Apple TAM in the background? 😀

Yes, that‘s Right. Good eyes 😀
It is a good jubebox for old Audio cds 😉

Reply 10 of 10, by Garehard

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Okay, I reconsidered the whole plan.

With the i3-4370 + Geforce 750ti, the temperatures leveled off at 70-80°C when gaming with a relatively loud fan.

I still had a Skylake ITX motherboard lying around with an i7-6700 and then I had the idea of ​​building a Windows 10 32-bit system. In addition, I swapped the 750ti for an AMD R7 260X because my monitor can do Freesync instead of G-Sync and the graphics card supports it.

I deactivated the turbo function and hyperthreading for the CPU in the BIOS. I must say that even with "stronger" games from the "2012" period. The system remains very quiet.
I also swapped out the power supply fan for a quieter Noctua.
Temperatures now average around 50-70°C depending on the game and quieter fan speed.

All in all, I'm very happy with the system, even though I'm no longer using the original XP. However, I can now go online and use regular browsers and other software without fear.

So far I was able to test all older games (2003-2013) without further problems under Windows 10 32-bit.

Another idea is to use Linux as a second operating system, I thought of Pop OS to see a comparison of how old Windows games run on a current Linux distro with WINE etc.

Attachments