User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have a Windows 98SE build:
GPU: ATI Radeon 9600 XT Bravo 128 MB
CPU: Intel Celeron 2.40 GHz
RAM: 1020 MB
(DirectX 9.0c)

Everything works ok but some games that don't work on Windows 10 and I have therefore installed on this computer could work better. I've considered that I would install Windows XP for dual booting. Would that do something itself? And then I would possibly install another 1 GB of RAM to work with XP. Would this have any help?

Reply 2 of 24, by Lintu

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
agent_x007 wrote on 2023-05-06, 08:43:

1) Get a Pentium 4 (not sure what platform you have 478/775),
2) When dual booting, get 2GB RAM (install mempatch on 98 before using).

Thanks.

I guess I have 478. Not sure though. My mainboard is D1520 from Fujitsu Siemens Scaleo L (Year 2002 or 2003 I think).

https://www.manualslib.com/manual/630734/Fuji … ters-D1520.html

In the manual it says about RAM:

"Technical data
Technology: DDR 266 or DDR 333 unbuffered DIMM modules
184-pin; 2.5 V; 64 Bit, no ECC
Total size: 128 Mbytes up to 2 Gbyte DDR-SDRAM"

I'm not too familiar with these technical terms. Should I look specifically for SDRAM or will any DDR1 do fine?

Also, how much does it matter in my setup if it's for example 2.60 GHz Pentium 4 478 versus if it's 3.40 GHz?

Attachments

• Filename
    d1520.pdf
    File size
    1.54 MiB
    Downloads
    36 downloads
    File license
    Public domain

Reply 3 of 24, by agent_x007

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Any DDR1 memory stick that is 1GB or less (and NOT server like ECC/Registered).
CPU FSB must be 533MHz or less, and your board probably doesn't support Hyper Threading (at least by deafult).
Try to update BIOS and microcode if you can before getting new CPU :
https://support.ts.fujitsu.com/IndexQuickSear … i845GE&OpenTab=
^Without this step, you are likely to be limited to only Northwood class CPUs (cache = 512kB).

Before picking and comparing random CPUs, first check which ones have 533MHz FSB 😉

Last edited by agent_x007 on 2023-05-06, 14:39. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 4 of 24, by Lintu

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
agent_x007 wrote on 2023-05-06, 13:25:
Any DDR1 memory that is 1GB or less (and NOT server like ECC/Registered). CPU FSB must be 533MHz or less, and your board probab […]
Show full quote

Any DDR1 memory that is 1GB or less (and NOT server like ECC/Registered).
CPU FSB must be 533MHz or less, and your board probably doesn't support Hyper Threading (at least by deafult).
^Without this step, you are likely to be limited to only Northwood class CPUs (cache = 512kB).

Before picking and comparing random CPUs, first check which ones have 533MHz FSB 😉

Okay! I just bought 3.06ghz/512/533 478 for 5 € plus postage. (I'm a bit hasty)

Thanks for the link! What's microcode? 😀

So is it ok to have 400 MHz memory although the manual stated: DDR 266 or DDR 333? And what about the voltage? Does it matter if I buy 2.6 V when the manual says 2.5 V?

Reply 5 of 24, by agent_x007

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Basicly : ucode is the thing that needed updating after Spectre/Meltdown come into light (to "fix" them).
It "translates" some instructions from procesor, so that MB knows what to do with data that come from it (very basic understanding, not accurate, but I think good enough for simplicity sake). Newer ucode fixes some compatibility issues, and can provide newer CPU support.
DDR speeds are backwards compatible (faster memory should work with slower speed), as ALL DDR memory must work with provided JEDEC specs (which includes 2.5V standard operating voltage). JEDEC profiles for different speeds are included in SPD memory on each stick. You can check what's inside using CPU-z, AIDA, or some other diagnostic programs.

Last edited by agent_x007 on 2023-05-06, 14:58. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 6 of 24, by Lintu

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
agent_x007 wrote on 2023-05-06, 14:37:

Basicly : ucode is the thing that needed updating after Spectre/Meltdown come into light (to "fix" them).
It "translates" some instructions from procesor, so that MB knows what to do with data that come from it (very basic understanding, not accurate, but I think good enough for simplicity sake).
DDR speeds are backwards compatible (faster memory should work with slower speed), as ALL DDR memory must work with provided JEDEC specs (which includes 2.5V standard operating voltage). JEDEC profiles for different speeds are included in SPD memory on each stick. You can check what's inside using CPU-z, AIDA, or some other diagnostic programs.

Okay, thanks for help!

Reply 8 of 24, by Lintu

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
feda wrote on 2023-05-06, 14:44:
Lintu wrote on 2023-05-06, 07:34:

Everything works ok but some games that don't work on Windows 10 and I have therefore installed on this computer could work better.

Which games?

Mount&Blade 0.808 Beta (The best version of M&B).

Reply 9 of 24, by Lintu

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
agent_x007 wrote on 2023-05-06, 13:25:
Any DDR1 memory stick that is 1GB or less (and NOT server like ECC/Registered). CPU FSB must be 533MHz or less, and your board […]
Show full quote

Any DDR1 memory stick that is 1GB or less (and NOT server like ECC/Registered).

I couldn't get BIOS and microcode updated. I just got a message at the start of the installation that: "The program has performed an illegal operation and will be shut down". I tried to install them by extracting the files. I don't have any floppy disks. But I guess it doesn't matter since I bought a CPU with a 512 kB cache.

Reply 10 of 24, by agent_x007

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Lintu wrote on 2023-05-06, 15:25:

I couldn't get BIOS and microcode updated. I just got a message at the start of the installation that: "The program has performed an illegal operation and will be shut down". I tried to install them by extracting the files. I don't have any floppy disks. But I guess it doesn't matter since I bought a CPU with a 512 kB cache.

It won't install from Windows, as it's a DOS utility (just FYI)
Here's BIOS install instructions :

Boot the system with the inserted Flash BIOS floppy disk. The FLASHBIO.EXE utility first reads in the BIOS Update file. Once the […]
Show full quote

Boot the system with the inserted Flash BIOS floppy disk.
The FLASHBIO.EXE utility first reads in the BIOS Update file.
Once the Flash Memory type has automatically been recognised, programming
begins. The old BIOS
Setup is deleted and overwritten with the contents of the BIOS Update file.

And here's ucode ones :

The update procedure essentially is the same as a BIOS flash and consists of the following steps: 1. Download the microcode upda […]
Show full quote

The update procedure essentially is the same as a BIOS flash and consists of the
following steps:
1. Download the microcode update file and save it to the hard disk.
2. Run the update file.
3. This creates an update diskette.
4. Insert the diskette and reboot the computer.
5. Follow the instructions on the screen.
In contrast to a Bios update, only updates for the command set of the processor
are saved. The BIOS is not affected.
You can also run the microcode update manually: start your computer with a DOS
boot diskette and run the following command
from the update diskette:
Flashbio /p6

Boot floppy, means 3,5" floppy with DOS system boot files on it.
You could try to do this with USB pendrive (and freeDOS), assuming your board supports booting from those.

Reply 11 of 24, by Lintu

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks again! So, it seems I have to get floppy disks if I want to update the BIOS and the microcode with Windows 98. I also found this in the manual:

"A BIOS update can also be carried out directly under Windows with the DeskFlash utility. DeskFlash is located on the "Drivers & Utilities" CD (from CD version 2001.05 with DeskViewOEM V5.0)".

I found DeskFlash online but it didn't work on Win 98. Would it work if I first installed the XP dual boot and then updated the BIOS and the microcode from the XP system using DeskFlash?

Reply 13 of 24, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator
Lintu wrote on 2023-05-07, 10:36:

Thanks again! So, it seems I have to get floppy disks if I want to update the BIOS and the microcode with Windows 98. I also found this in the manual:

"A BIOS update can also be carried out directly under Windows with the DeskFlash utility. DeskFlash is located on the "Drivers & Utilities" CD (from CD version 2001.05 with DeskViewOEM V5.0)".

I found DeskFlash online but it didn't work on Win 98. Would it work if I first installed the XP dual boot and then updated the BIOS and the microcode from the XP system using DeskFlash?

way easier would be to update using the dos utility via a boot disk...

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 14 of 24, by Lintu

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Dominus wrote on 2023-05-07, 14:06:

I haven't got a boot disk for Win 98. I downloaded Windows 98 SE iso from REMOVED I burned it on a CD-R using Alcohol 120% but it seems not to be bootable. I also found this:

REMOVED

but I don't know what to do with it. The file extension is .img and I can't burn it on a CD using Alcohol.

EDIT: found this and trying it:

REMOVED

Last edited by DosFreak on 2023-05-07, 22:06. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 15 of 24, by Repo Man11

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

This is a case where benchmarks can be useful, both for determining if your system is configured correctly, and for comparison for before and after. I have a PCChips M930 that I've flashed to an ECS P4S5A BIOS (I was hoping for a 133/166 RAM setting, but I didn't get it) running 98SE with all of the 2004 updates, 2.8/512/533 P4, 1024 megabytes of DDR400 with the R. Loew memory patch, and a 128 bit Radeon 9800SE that's unlocked with Omega drivers. This is a typical 3D 2001 score with this system.

Attachments

"I'd rather be rich than stupid" - Jack Handey

Reply 16 of 24, by Lintu

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Lintu wrote on 2023-05-07, 18:01:
I haven't got a boot disk for Win 98. I downloaded Windows 98 SE iso from REMOVED I burned it on a CD-R using Alcohol 120% but i […]
Show full quote
Dominus wrote on 2023-05-07, 14:06:

I haven't got a boot disk for Win 98. I downloaded Windows 98 SE iso from REMOVED I burned it on a CD-R using Alcohol 120% but it seems not to be bootable. I also found this:

but I don't know what to do with it. The file extension is .img and I can't burn it on a CD using Alcohol.

EDIT: found this and trying it:

Nope, the boot disk CD isn't working. I burned the iso on a CD-R, put it in the CD drive, booted up, the boot up hangs on to a black screen with the hyphen or underline flashing but nothing happens.

EDIT2: Downloaded the OEM version from REMOVED, burned and it seems to work!

Repo Man11 wrote on 2023-05-07, 18:30:

This is a case where benchmarks can be useful, both for determining if your system is configured correctly, and for comparison for before and after. I have a PCChips M930 that I've flashed to an ECS P4S5A BIOS (I was hoping for a 133/166 RAM setting, but I didn't get it) running 98SE with all of the 2004 updates, 2.8/512/533 P4, 1024 megabytes of DDR400 with the R. Loew memory patch, and a 128 bit Radeon 9800SE that's unlocked with Omega drivers. This is a typical 3D 2001 score with this system.

I get about 8000 at the moment (default settings, 3D2001)

Last edited by DosFreak on 2024-04-13, 19:27. Edited 3 times in total.

Reply 17 of 24, by feda

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Lintu wrote on 2023-05-07, 18:38:

Nope, the boot disk CD isn't working. I burned the iso on a CD-R, put it in the CD drive, booted up, the boot up hangs on to a black screen with the hyphen or underline flashing but nothing happens.

Why would you burn a floppy disk image to a CD? Notice how it says "Boot Disk (3.5-1.44mb)". Disk vs disc.

Seems about right. I've got a similar rig with a 9600 card and got around 6500-7000 last time I checked.

It's a bit strange that you're trying to run Mount & Blade in 98 when it came out in 2008 and has accordingly high system requirements. Pretty sure there is a way to get it running in W10.

Reply 18 of 24, by Lintu

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
feda wrote on 2023-05-07, 20:40:
Why would you burn a floppy disk image to a CD? Notice how it says "Boot Disk (3.5-1.44mb)". Disk vs disc. […]
Show full quote
Lintu wrote on 2023-05-07, 18:38:

Why would you burn a floppy disk image to a CD? Notice how it says "Boot Disk (3.5-1.44mb)". Disk vs disc.

Seems about right. I've got a similar rig with a 9600 card and got around 6500-7000 last time I checked.

It's a bit strange that you're trying to run Mount & Blade in 98 when it came out in 2008 and has accordingly high system requirements. Pretty sure there is a way to get it running in W10.

It says on the download site: "These disks are original boot floppy disk media for use with Microsoft Windows CD-ROMs. " Anyway, got it working now with the OEM CD image.

Not trying to run 1.011 which came out in 2008 but 0.808 which came out in 2006 and was a beta version. 1.011 works fine in Win10.