What's bottlenecking?

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 24, by Lintu

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
feda wrote on 2023-05-07, 21:15:
Lintu wrote on 2023-05-07, 20:52:

It says on the download site: "These disks are original boot floppy disk media for use with Microsoft Windows CD-ROMs. "

Those are for writing to a floppy disk.

Good to know! 😀

Reply 21 of 24, by Lintu

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

So far I've managed to get the Windows 98/xp dual boot working. The 2 GB of RAM arrived and with Patchmem, that was recommended here, I've also got them to work. However, for some reason, at least the game for which I got the dual boot, Mount&Blade 0.808 works much better on Windows 98 than XP. It seems that at least the processor usage is at 100 % while I play the game in XP. I've tried different drivers for the GPU and they seem to have little difference. I've also tried two different chipset drivers which likewise don't have much difference.

I didn't get the BIOS and the microcode updated yet.

EDIT: The benchmark score is already much higher though: 9430 (3D2001).

Reply 22 of 24, by bakemono

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I don't know how different the beta is, but Mount&Blade in general can be very CPU intensive. I heard the game was written in Python. It runs nice and smooth if you're just walking around the tavern or something but when you get into a battle and a bunch of AI people are going nuts the game is infamous for lagging or freezing up for 1-2 seconds. Some of the menus would take a while to appear also. I remember going on forums at the time and people with high-end i7 CPUs were complaining about the performance.

again another retro game on itch: https://90soft90.itch.io/shmup-salad

Reply 23 of 24, by Lintu

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
bakemono wrote on 2023-05-13, 19:50:

I don't know how different the beta is, but Mount&Blade in general can be very CPU intensive. I heard the game was written in Python. It runs nice and smooth if you're just walking around the tavern or something but when you get into a battle and a bunch of AI people are going nuts the game is infamous for lagging or freezing up for 1-2 seconds. Some of the menus would take a while to appear also. I remember going on forums at the time and people with high-end i7 CPUs were complaining about the performance.

Yea, that sounds about right 😁 However, I'm still wondering why the CPU would work better in Win98 than XP.

Reply 24 of 24, by Lintu

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

The Pentium 4 3.06ghz/512/533 478 arrived today. Unfortunately I'm getting no picture after installing it.

EDIT1: Trying CMOS clear

EDIT2: Still not working

EDIT3: It seems I made a rookie mistake. I didn't pull the lever before inserting the processor. I took it out, looked that it seemed fine and tried to put it back correctly. It still didn't work. I took it out, put the old one back and looked at the pins of the new one more carefully and it seems that a couple of them at the corners are a little bent. If I straighten them will the CPU still be functional? I think it was seated properly however the second time it was in the slot and I guess it wouldn't go properly if the pins were too badly bent?

Anyway, I guess, I'll just settle with the old one or try to update the BIOS and microcode if that would help.

EDIT4: My MoBo doesn't support booting from USB and updating the BIOS with Fujitsu Siemens DeskView didn't work. The next step is buying some floppy disks.