VOGONS

First post, by bassix6

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hereby some results of rebuilding my Pentium 3 Windows 98 PC! My previous Win 98 PC was build around of a Matsonic Motherboard and a 1.0 GhZ Pentium 3. Although it worked and was adequate for a beginners project, I decided I wanted to create a better one. Hereby some pictures: cable management is still a bit of a mess!

pc1.jpg
pc2.jpg

Specs

I spent a lot of time looking for components and found some pretty nice deals along the way. These are the components I have collected and are currently in the machine:

CPU: Intel Pentium 3 Tualatin 1.4 GHZ
Mobo: Gigabyte GA-6VTXE-A
Mobo chipset: VIA 694T/686Bchipset
RAM: 512 MB SDRAM
GPU: ATI Radeon 9800 Pro
HDD: 32 GB SD Card with IDE Adapter
Sound Card: Aureal Montego II
Monitor: 17" Compaq 7500 CRT

3D /PCMARK

pcmark.png
3dmark.png

With the upgrade the PC is a lot faster! Not just in games, but also general performance 'feels' a lot quicker. All in all I'm very happy with the end result, although I might swap the Radeon 9800 Pro for a VooDoo 3000. I also have a Win XP PC that is more powerful than this one and puts the Radeon 9800 Pro in a bit of a weird spot.

Reply 1 of 5, by shevalier

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

https://archive.techarp.com/showarticle57cd.h … artno=92&pgno=0
~5600 mark at 3Dmark03 with P3-S 1.133GHz, rig #1 at Windows 2000 😀

It has always been interesting what is more important than the frequency of the RAM or the processor.
The RAM frequency won.
150 RAM and 1.275GHz faster than
1.4GHz and 160FSB (120RAM)

Attachments

• 166.png
    Filename
    166.png
    File size
    81.74 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain
  • 150.png
    Filename
    150.png
    File size
    97.66 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain
  • i815 p3s.png
    Filename
    i815 p3s.png
    File size
    78.94 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain

Aopen MX3S, PIII-S Tualatin 1133, Radeon 9800Pro@XT BIOS, Diamond monster sound MX300
JetWay K8T8AS, Athlon DH-E6 3000+, Radeon HD2600Pro AGP, Audigy 2 Value

Reply 2 of 5, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

If you want a fast Win98 box S478 with AGP and IDE still feels right but lacks a certain something but put the exact same hardware in a P3 and I don't get this feeling. People are funny things 😜

If you got the space I'd keep the ATI card here as your fast 9x build and rebuild the 1Ghz with the voodoo and have that as your glide build not many if any glide game need much more then 1Ghz

Reply 4 of 5, by arnovdheiden

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Nice machine, well done. The case with the philips drive looks interesting. 2 years ago i sold a computer like that to someone. The case was exactly the same, only yellowed. it contained an aureal vortex 2 soundcard and a philips drive like that.
👍🏻

Reply 5 of 5, by bassix6

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
arnovdheiden wrote on 2023-08-16, 13:53:

Nice machine, well done. The case with the philips drive looks interesting. 2 years ago i sold a computer like that to someone. The case was exactly the same, only yellowed. it contained an aureal vortex 2 soundcard and a philips drive like that.
👍🏻

I think that was me, actually! Small word 😀 I remember the PC even got lost by the postal company - luckily it all worked out!