VOGONS

First post, by jdubect

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Ok, could use some input from the experts. I started a build a couple of years ago and I tabelled it, no time. Getting back to it. So here's the core system:
- Tyan S1854 mainboard (Apollo Pro 133A chipset, ES1373 onboard)
- Pentium III 667/256 Slot I
- 128MB PC-133 SDRAM
- IDE -> SD-CARD Adapter (32GB SD card)
- Windows XP (was considering Windows 98SE also - may do both since it's SD-CARDs 🤣)

For GPUs, I have the following:
- eVGA TNT2 M64 (e-tnt2 m64.032-a4-nv02-s1)
- ASUS A7000 Radeon (A7000/T/N/64M/A)
- ATI Rage 128 (6001829)
- nVidia Riva TNT2 M64 Vanta (6001674)
- nVida MX 440 (08y485-69861)
- Creative nVidia Riva TNT2 Ultra (CT6870) + (CT7230) DVD PCI Decoder

For sound cards:
- the onboard ES1373
- Creative CT4780 Sound Blaster Live (Actually have 2 of these)
- Creative CT4810 Sound Blaster 128 PCI
- Creative SB0200 Sound Blaster Live
- Creative CT3670 Sound Blaster AWE32 w/IDE Controller (ISA to boot!!)

What do people think? I was thinking either the MX 440 or the Radeon w/the onboard ES1373 or the CT4810.

BTW - Games-wise I am looking at these:
- Doom / Doom 2
- Spear of Destiny / Wolfenstein 3D
- Rise of the Triad
- Scorched Earth
- GTA 1 / 2
- Half Life / Opposing Force / Blue Shift
- Wacraft II BNE
- Diablo II
- Heretic
- Hexen
- SimCity 2000 / 3000
- Epic Pinball
- Space Quest / Kings Quest
- Quest for Glory: So You Want to be a Hero?
- and so - this generation though

Reply 1 of 6, by Cosmic

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I am not nearly as much of an expert as others here but I have some experience with the Slot 1 platform (440BX and ZX).

For the SD card I would recommend 64 GB or more for XP, only because you may find yourself installing a lot of games and running low on space. Much easier to just start with more space than to migrate to another disk and expand the partition, though it can be a fun "exercise" if you're into that (I am, sometimes).

If you have more memory available I would recommend it for XP. 128MB is fine for Windows 98 but may be a little tight for XP at times. The Tyan board supports 768MB unbuffered and 1.5GB buffered, both of which would be more than enough. You can also use nLite if you want to make your installation lighter.

Of the graphics cards listed I really like the MX440. It's a surprisingly capable card for being passively cooled. I would place it above the TNT2 cards and the Rage 128, though those are great cards too. It's very compatible, being based on the GeForce 2, but with overall better performance.

For sound, at least in my limited experience those all seem like pretty similar cards. Cursory search suggests CT4780 is an OEM card which I would avoid. I would also avoid onboard sound as it's typically noisier, since it's right next to all other traces on the board. I would also consider omitting the CT3670 ISA card if you plan to only run XP or Windows only games. I have had no issues using an ISA card for XP games, but for my Slot 1 setup, I wanted it to feel as "modern" as possible so I went 100% AGP and PCI. Using an ISA slot for sound would afford me an extra PCI slot for a network card, but I went for USB NIC instead so I could stay on PCI. Your Tyan board has a lot more PCI slots than my board, though. 😀

In any case I think you should be able to run most or all of those games with pretty good performance on such hardware. Any critiques on my comment are appreciated.

Reply 2 of 6, by TrashPanda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Cosmic wrote on 2023-05-23, 00:07:
I am not nearly as much of an expert as others here but I have some experience with the Slot 1 platform (440BX and ZX). […]
Show full quote

I am not nearly as much of an expert as others here but I have some experience with the Slot 1 platform (440BX and ZX).

For the SD card I would recommend 64 GB or more for XP, only because you may find yourself installing a lot of games and running low on space. Much easier to just start with more space than to migrate to another disk and expand the partition, though it can be a fun "exercise" if you're into that (I am, sometimes).

If you have more memory available I would recommend it for XP. 128MB is fine for Windows 98 but may be a little tight for XP at times. The Tyan board supports 768MB unbuffered and 1.5GB buffered, both of which would be more than enough. You can also use nLite if you want to make your installation lighter.

Of the graphics cards listed I really like the MX440. It's a surprisingly capable card for being passively cooled. I would place it above the TNT2 cards and the Rage 128, though those are great cards too. It's very compatible, being based on the GeForce 2, but with overall better performance.

For sound, at least in my limited experience those all seem like pretty similar cards. Cursory search suggests CT4780 is an OEM card which I would avoid. I would also avoid onboard sound as it's typically noisier, since it's right next to all other traces on the board. I would also consider omitting the CT3670 ISA card if you plan to only run XP or Windows only games. I have had no issues using an ISA card for XP games, but for my Slot 1 setup, I wanted it to feel as "modern" as possible so I went 100% AGP and PCI. Using an ISA slot for sound would afford me an extra PCI slot for a network card, but I went for USB NIC instead so I could stay on PCI. Your Tyan board has a lot more PCI slots than my board, though. 😀

In any case I think you should be able to run most or all of those games with pretty good performance on such hardware. Any critiques on my comment are appreciated.

Since OP wants to run 98 and XP I would stick with 512Mb as more than this can make 98 pretty unstable, XP would prefer 1gb but 98 will throw errors with that much. Rlowe patch for 98 may fix this, never used it myself. OP wants to play DOS games and the ISA card would be best for that from a compatibility point, the AWE32 is a nice card.

You can run two sound cards and disable the AWE32 in hardware manager under windows XP, this would let OP use the Creative SB0200 Sound Blaster Live as their XP sound device which would give them EAX IIRC under XP. This setup lets DOS use the ISA card for games and Windows XP use the better EAX SB Live for windows games. IIRC you can also do this under 98 as well but 98 will be just fine with the AWE32.

For Video the TnT2 Ultra with decoder would be a nice combination as it can cover DOS, 98 and XP quite well and its 2d core is highly compatible for DOS games. Its also highly compatible with the Slot 1 BX boards, the MX440 may work ok in a BX board if its a AGP 2x/4x card but its better suited to a much later AGP version than the 2x the slot 1 boards had.

Last edited by TrashPanda on 2023-05-23, 01:06. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 3 of 6, by Cosmic

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
TrashPanda wrote on 2023-05-23, 00:53:
Since OP wants to run 98 and XP I would stick with 512Mb as more than this can make 98 pretty unstable, XP would prefer 1gb but […]
Show full quote
Cosmic wrote on 2023-05-23, 00:07:
I am not nearly as much of an expert as others here but I have some experience with the Slot 1 platform (440BX and ZX). […]
Show full quote

Since OP wants to run 98 and XP I would stick with 512Mb as more than this can make 98 pretty unstable, XP would prefer 1gb but 98 will throw errors with that much. Rlowe patch for 98 may fix this, never used it myself.
OP also wants to play DOS games and the ISA card would be best for that from a compatibility point, the AWE32 is a nice card.

You can run two sound cards and disable the AWE32 in hardware manager under windows XP, this would let OP use the Creative SB0200 Sound Blaster Live as their XP sound device which would give them EAX IIRC under XP.
This setup lets DOS use the ISA card for games and Windows XP use the better EAX SB Live for windows games. IIRC you can also do this under 98 as well but 98 will be just fine with the AWE32.

Great points, cheers TrashPanda. The dual PCI + ISA sound would probably be a great fit for OP then, I missed that they also wanted to play some DOS games. I suppose if they want to run >512MB they could also use RLoew's (RIP) patch or the system.ini edit.

Reply 4 of 6, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Onboard ES1373 is basically the same as your Sound Blaster 128. It'll do the job but lacks EAX

SB0200 This is the card that gives the Dell OEM Live's a bad reputation as lacks a real EMU chip so does everything in software. Not ideal but doubt it's really an issue on your P3.
You'll need the special drivers from the below.
SoundBlaster Live! SB0200 issues.

CT4780 is another Dell OEM card but this time it does have hardware acceleration therefore the best card out of your list.
Again you need special drivers I think R37379.EXE is the correct one available here
https://www.dell.com/support/home/en-uk/drive … =dimension-8100

Re GPU I'd try the MX 440 first it's a good match for the CPU then fall back onto your next best card the TNT2 Ultra. A P3 600 will be slightly bottlenecked by it but if it runs all your games that's the most important thing and if not you can always upgrade later. Besides the decoder addon makes your build stand out a little bit.

Reply 5 of 6, by TrashPanda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
chinny22 wrote on 2023-05-23, 10:43:
Onboard ES1373 is basically the same as your Sound Blaster 128. It'll do the job but lacks EAX […]
Show full quote

Onboard ES1373 is basically the same as your Sound Blaster 128. It'll do the job but lacks EAX

SB0200 This is the card that gives the Dell OEM Live's a bad reputation as lacks a real EMU chip so does everything in software. Not ideal but doubt it's really an issue on your P3.
You'll need the special drivers from the below.
SoundBlaster Live! SB0200 issues.

CT4780 is another Dell OEM card but this time it does have hardware acceleration therefore the best card out of your list.
Again you need special drivers I think R37379.EXE is the correct one available here
https://www.dell.com/support/home/en-uk/drive … =dimension-8100

Re GPU I'd try the MX 440 first it's a good match for the CPU then fall back onto your next best card the TNT2 Ultra. A P3 600 will be slightly bottlenecked by it but if it runs all your games that's the most important thing and if not you can always upgrade later. Besides the decoder addon makes your build stand out a little bit.

god SB Live cards were a fucking mess, throw in the OEM cards and its just a mire of cards and Im glad we have guys like you around that know these cards a bit and can point out he shite from the mud.

Reply 6 of 6, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
TrashPanda wrote on 2023-05-23, 11:46:

god SB Live cards were a fucking mess, throw in the OEM cards and its just a mire of cards and Im glad we have guys like you around that know these cards a bit and can point out he shite from the mud.

You'll get no argument from me! much like the GeForce FX range. If I happen to have the card I'll use it, if not screw the whole confusing mess and just get an Audigy